What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 pm

Huba-Swift, was that at UBC today? I went to Kaiser to get a cuppa coffee and a cookie at Starbz, and it was crammed with people. I suppose you were just down the hall in MacLeod?

Incidentally, my 5U plans for the weekend are a little less epic. I decided to rebuild my triple LFO module, because it is quite old, and I didn't know what I was doing when I built it. It has Sync jacks but the syncs don't work, so I redesigned it to have proper resetting sync, and I'm also going to put optional sine shapers on each channel. I just made the new boards, and I'm about to go out and drill it.
May all your peeled tomatoes be jammy

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 am

Huba-Swift wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
Flareless wrote:What's the green thing?
USB Christmas tree? :)
Winner! Yup. At the start of the year they had everyone solder a little Christmas tree to introduce us to soldering. One of the other students in my class told me I should hook it up so that it lights up with the modular.
Excellent! Now we'll expect to see it in the 2019 "Show us your Christmas modular lights" thread, :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Huba-Swift, was that at UBC today? I went to Kaiser to get a cuppa coffee and a cookie at Starbz, and it was crammed with people. I suppose you were just down the hall in MacLeod?
Nope! Not UBC. This was in the UFV trades building in Chilliwack
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Incidentally, my 5U plans for the weekend are a little less epic. I decided to rebuild my triple LFO module, because it is quite old, and I didn't know what I was doing when I built it. It has Sync jacks but the syncs don't work, so I redesigned it to have proper resetting sync, and I'm also going to put optional sine shapers on each channel. I just made the new boards, and I'm about to go out and drill it.
That's pretty epic I'll say, I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Do the three LFOs share a set of a few common controls, or are they all completely individual?
Flareless wrote:Excellent! Now we'll expect to see it in the 2019 "Show us your Christmas modular lights" thread, thumbs up
Wait, that's a thread? I'll need to see if the rest of my classmates are keeping theirs, maybe I can start a little led tree collection.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 pm

I just finished the triple LFO PCB. It is three independent LFOs. It puts out triangle and pulse waves, with a shape control which changes the triangle output from ramp to triangle to saw, and also changes the pulse width of the pulse waves. It has switchable fast and slow modes, and the pulse outputs have polarity switches to select 0 to 5V, -5 to 5V, or -5 to 0V. Also, there is hard sync (resetting with a JFET across the integrator cap) -- this part didn't work on my original LFOs, because I didn't know what I was doing. Now, of course, I'm an expert. I have designed the sync so that the triangles reset to 0V and always go up after resetting.

It's a simple module, but one which finds its way into almost every patch I make. Here's a picture of the PCB:

Here's the layout image I used to build it:

Now I just have to put it behind the panel. I have an existing triple LFO module and I'm going to use the same panel. The reason I built this new board is because I wanted to get my Sync inputs to work properly. Also, I want to change the jacks on the panel to Switchcraft jacks (I used Neutrik open frame jacks originally, and they are very hard to unplug).

I may make a new panel, and add switches to switch the triangle output to sine. I have laid out a quad sine shaper (of which I only need three for this build, obviously) on a 3.4" x 2.1" PCB. Maybe I'll throw that together tomorrow.
May all your peeled tomatoes be jammy

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:39 am

Huba-Swift wrote:The University that I attend had an open house day where students from most high schools in the area take a tour throughout the school and check out each program the school has to offer. Our electronics class had a little display to demonstrate binary and digital logic to people as they went through our class/lab. I asked my teacher if I could bring in my modular and talk about modular synthesis to the students, he said sure, so I did just that and brought in my modular rig and explained how basic subtractive synthesis works and provided a little live demonstration (unfortunately no videos/audio). The open house went on for around 6 hours and I got to talk to a total of around 1-2 thousand high-schoolers about modular synthesis. It was good fun, though a little exhausting. My throat was really dry by the end of the day.

Here's some pics, I'm the guy on the right.

One of my classmates made a cheesy advert and stuck it on the side of my modular. Apparently I now offer DJ services :hihi:
that is pretty damn cool!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am

Last weekend I worked out a new prototype panel for one of my favourite filters - The Moogah SEM. I just got it all assembled today and it works great!

This weekend I'll be making a way custom version of this panel for a Wiggler.

Incidentally, the panel is produced locally and painted with a very new technique. Like it?

I haven't been as active on the forum as I have been in the past due to A LOT of cool things happening here at Lower West Side Studio. It's been so busy that you may have noticed there was no March Madness sale.

FEAR NOT! There will be madness! :nana:

Watch soon for new products and services not to mention sales, raffles and other cool stuff!

https://soundcloud.com/lowerwestsidestu ... ah-sem-vcf
Last edited by Flareless on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Flareless wrote:It's been so busy that you may have noticed there was no March Madness sale.

FEAR NOT! There will be madness! :nana:

Watch soon for new products and services not to mention sales, raffles and other cool stuff!
That's good, been looking through your site a bit lately trying to plan out what to order next. Guess I'll wait to see what goes on sale.

Thanks

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:23 am

not 100% 5u.. but very related as rewiring my desk to process all the 5u sounds/mixes :) 40x lundahl transformer channels coupled with the EQ and compressors really is something.. ! I am excited.!. as its been a while since I was using it properly.. feels like a brand new thing again!! :)

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 am

How are you patching the modular through the desk Josaka? Are you running each output to its own channel?

Presently I'm summing up all my audio through a Yusynth mixer then outputting left and right to their own channels. The drawback to this is I can't isolate a single portion of the output for later post-production. When I have to do this I will route a VCA output containing the track I want into its own mixing desk input.

I'm curious to learn what others are doing.
Rich

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 am

Whoa, nice desk josaka.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Flareless wrote:How are you patching the modular through the desk Josaka? Are you running each output to its own channel?

Presently I'm summing up all my audio through a Yusynth mixer then outputting left and right to their own channels. The drawback to this is I can't isolate a single portion of the output for later post-production. When I have to do this I will route a VCA output containing the track I want into its own mixing desk input.

I'm curious to learn what others are doing.
I do the same. I run a stereo output from a pan/fade module and four other mono outputs to my Mackie mixer. I used to have an 8 channel audio interface (MOTU) but it crapped out and I went with a cheaper Focusrite two channel. It does have two additional mono inputs so I can separate things down to three tracks in Cubase. Not good enough when you have many things happening at once.
Sometimes I'll lay down the main track and then go back and stripe each individual track. It rarely sounds the same though.

I agree with synthetic... nice mixing desk josaka!
Bandcamp, soundcloud, videos
"The Sands of Time are eroded by The River of Constant Change" - Peter Gabriel

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 pm

cheers guys .. it is truly a thing of wonder :)

I am using the desk in two or three ways.. 1 running stuff from the daw .. feeding them into the desk channels...to the busses and then to the desks stereo outs..and recording that.

2 (and teething issues aside this will be the main way) as channel inserts inside the DAW .. so.. each channel will run out from the DAW into a desk channel and back out into the same DAW channel X40! .DAW> Desk > Desk < DAW input.. It also has desk inserts on every channel/bus/master
...2 masters 8 busses..and 6 fx sends on each channel... as well as 4 compressors in the desk(which are SSL killers!!) ..this effectively gives you a flexible modular type set up where you can send anything in the daw to any place on the desk and back..

from what I can gather from reading thousands of comments..I use my modular in a slightly different way to a lot of folk.. my aim is to make records.. so I make a sound then record me tweaking it (or just straightly :)) then move to the next part.. then mix and fix/replace parts as I go.. so I tend to focus on one part at a time..

there are other variations I am considering.. as the latency at the top rates is a cpu killer..

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 pm

kindredlost wrote:I agree with synthetic... nice mixing desk josaka!
:woah: :sb: :cloud:

And this weekend I'll be playing with my Haken ContinuumMini that arrived today:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 pm

^ Sweet :tu:
Rich

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Grabbed a few hours in the ol' black room last night. It's been a while...

[video][/video]

The heart of the song and melodic part is 5U and the initial sequence control is Q960 and STG suite.

There is some Euro audio (the opening loops) from a Chord module, Rings and Piston Honda but the bulk of the heavy lifting is the 5U.

All recorded in a single take to the DAW and video's from my iPhone are edited in Final Cut Pro.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm

kindredlost wrote:Grabbed a few hours in the ol' black room last night. It's been a while...
You got me again, kindredlost, I loved it! Thanks for all the beauty.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 pm

hsosdrum wrote:You got me again, kindredlost, I loved it! Thanks for all the beauty.
:loves: Thank you!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 pm

I did this one for myself this weekend...

Here it is in the modular playing nice with its friends

New products! New services! New deals!

All coming very soon from Lower West Side Studio.... stay tuned!
Rich

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Flareless wrote:I did this one for myself this weekend...
lovely work rich.. !

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Cool looking panel Flareless! Very suiting graphics. Have you tried using half tone in silk-screening? I’m sure that with just one or two colours you could create really neat galaxy images silk screened directly onto the panel.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks guys. The image is from Hubble and I thought it went well with the MFOS brand. Plus I LOVE this VCO. It's nice and spacely-economical in this single width form factor.

But it's not silkscreened... :hihi:
Rich

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm

be fun if you had a galaxy across a few modules..

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 am

josaka wrote:be fun if you had a galaxy across a few modules..
Definitely in the cards!

Or this...

Rich

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:57 am

hah.. I remember when you didnt want to put a wasp on mine !! :)

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 am

josaka wrote:hah.. I remember when you didnt want to put a wasp on mine !! :)
The silkscreening process was such a pain that changes in color and design were quite a nightmare.

Plus I was more of a purist.

Now, though, with the capability to easily create these panels I think it might be time to get a bit more artistically experimental.

These fancy panel options will soon be incorporated into Lower West Side Studio's modular offerings.

EDIT: Damn... I did that graphic as a quick mock-up while I had my coffee this morning but the more I look at it the more I want my CGS49 to look like that.
Rich

Return to “5U Format Modules”