What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by Bowman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Flareless wrote:Thanks guys. The image is from Hubble and I thought it went well with the MFOS brand. Plus I LOVE this VCO. It's nice and spacely-economical in this single width form factor.

But it's not silkscreened... :hihi:
Great, now I need all those MFOS modules you built for me changed to panels with different Hubble images on them. Can you get on that? :hihi:
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" Elvis Costello (by way of Martin Mull)

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm

@Bowman - Drop me a note and we'll get together!

Ok... another lark but this one looks cool...

I love testing new toys! :nana:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 pm

... the new process works well. Something not seen previously!!!!

8-)
Flareless wrote:Or this...

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Like Frank-N-Furter said; Don't dream it.... Be it

The drill holes are slightly off as I'm using a previously drilled panel with a slightly re-aranged design but... DAMN!
Last edited by Flareless on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm

That looks really good, but very hard to read.
May all your peeled tomatoes be jammy

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks Doc. Actually it is a little bit tough to read in places. It was a very quick mock-up that I quite liked so I thought I'd give it a try. I might re-do it with some different text colors.

It's also easier to read in person compared to the iPhone photo.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I think it would be cooler if I had a graphic of 2 wasps dueling :hihi:
Rich

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Flareless wrote:Thanks Doc. Actually it is a little bit tough to read in places. It was a very quick mock-up that I quite liked so I thought I'd give it a try. I might re-do it with some different text colors.

It's also easier to read in person compared to the iPhone photo.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I think it would be cooler if I had a graphic of 2 wasps dueling :hihi:
with sabres.. !
bit more contrast on the image and a white white text with a black outline should do it.. cant imagine any 'colour' would make it more readable.. its about contrast from the background.. :)

also a panel like this with nicely place lights would work well.. I am still thinking about my jupiter storm lights! :)

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 am

josaka wrote: with sabres.. !
bit more contrast on the image and a white white text with a black outline should do it.. cant imagine any 'colour' would make it more readable.. its about contrast from the background.. :)

also a panel like this with nicely place lights would work well.. I am still thinking about my jupiter storm lights! :)
Definitely with sabres!!

Thanks for the tip on the graphics Josaka! Although I had a decades long career in IT, graphics were the one area I never delved into.

PM sent re: JS
Rich

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:07 am

Flareless wrote:
Definitely with sabres!!
Light sabers ..... :jedi:

... fits right in with the odd sound the light sabers make during battle .... as well as the ~buzzing~ sound wasps make ... very close to one another!

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Flareless wrote:
Definitely with sabres!!
Light sabers ..... :jedi:

... fits right in with the odd sound the light sabers make during battle .... as well as the ~buzzing~ sound wasps make ... very close to one another!

8-)
The light sabre buzz sound challenge :banana: - with parry filter sweeps via modulation!

Definitely something to try this weekend!
Rich

HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 am

Been rebuilding my cabinets for a suitable home for my expanded system. Walnut laminate chipboard from B&Q. Poor carpentry skills, hopefully not (too) visible at this distance, but it will look like the mutts nuts when its done...I hope!

hdik
Last edited by HowDoIKnow on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 am

Very nice cabinets!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:26 am

Faustgeist wrote:Very nice cabinets!
Thanks - When the little rubber feet are on the single row cabs as well, I am going to need to have my high-heeled shoes on to get to the top cabinet! :hihi:

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 am

Looks great! I like that spacing under the cabinets.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:31 am

HowDoIKnow, they look amazing now, and they all look good filled!

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:00 am

I am going to experiment with band passing noise into voltage control oscillators, try and setup some feedbacks loops that go slow.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:28 am

This weekend I try to convince myself I should replace my last Q106 with two STG VCO's.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

MindMachine wrote:This weekend I try to convince myself I should replace my last Q106 with two STG VCO's.
you are not trying all that hard are you.. ? :)

Eric G
Common Wiggler

Post by Eric G » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:27 am

I'm currently building an additional cabinet for the modules that did not fit in my EHS 3P.
It will be one row of 15 modules. Will probably build the last panel, CV/Gate Bus, this weekend.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am

Over the last two months my weekends have been tied up with upgrading the recording end of the studio. A new computer, new audio interface, new DAW (or upgrade to the latest Cubase version) and last weekend a new patch bay. I now can record simultaneous channels to the DAW through the interface from any source, mainly the modular with up to 8 channels which are two stereo from the Mackie mixer and six independent. The mixer already has six taps from the modular and the patch bay allows for me to interrupt the signal chain and add in effects in series without too much trouble. So in all I can record 12 taps from the modular simultaneously! Anyone who’s seen my live videos knows I always have at least six things happening at once. A great workflow upgrade which was way past due.

I can also swap in substitute for any keyboard channel by just plugging in a source to the patch bay direct without having to unplug the original source from that channel. For the times when an inspired idea comes up then there is no weighing in the patch time to consider.

I also have been laying down some tracks but need to do some serious post processing to bring them up to presentation level. This weekend is going to be dedicated to that enterprise.
Bandcamp, soundcloud, videos
"The Sands of Time are eroded by The River of Constant Change" - Peter Gabriel

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:31 am

Can't wait to hear the results of your upgrade KL! Your setup sounds very cool.

Patchbays are definitely the unsung heroes of the recording studio. I'm going to be making a video of a novel way I'm using patchbays to route effects pedals.
Rich

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:48 am

Various mail services providing... I'll be trying my second Corsynth C104 through a Warm Audio WA73 Neve clone. And if ebay member "logonbernard" ever gets their shit together I may even get to try a Koma BD301 parked in front of my Hordijk system. Also paying off a near mint Oliver - B120 bass amp and a Rabid Elephant - Natural Gate. Dispite some major car trouble, it's been a fruitful summer. I even bought new shoes!

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 am

Flareless wrote:Can't wait to hear the results of your upgrade KL! Your setup sounds very cool.

Patchbays are definitely the unsung heroes of the recording studio. I'm going to be making a video of a novel way I'm using patchbays to route effects pedals.
I’d love to see a video on some novel ideas concerning patch bay uses. I have the rack effects (Lexicon and TC Electronic) run through it as well for easy access. It just makes tapping into things much easier overall. My old studio had some DIY patch bays but the Behringer has the choice of normal, thru and half normal for each channel so it is flexible ( and affordable).

I haven’t been buying a lot of 5U modules lately as I don’t have room for anymore. I say that but I do have a few STG Oscillators on order and have been using the new SSL Octal VCA and expander quite a bit to do some exciting things. Maybe I can get a track up soon to demonstrate the fun I’m experiencing.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:25 am

josaka wrote:
MindMachine wrote:This weekend I try to convince myself I should replace my last Q106 with two STG VCO's.
you are not trying all that hard are you.. ? :)
Well if the STG's were readily available I would do it. I think. :hmm:

I wan the STG's for sure, but also wish to have at least one Q106 (if I had the room).

This weekend I plan on firing up my new SSL/Yusynth Clock Divider.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:31 am

A live recording of seven elements, all from the 5U setup.
I was able to record to six tracks simultaneously in Cubase for later editing and arrangement. This is the raw take as it sounds while tracking. No mixing or dubbing yet. Details of the patch are below.

[video][/video]

DETAILS:
This piece is structured around a simple sequence from the synthesizers.com Q960 step sequencer.
It is generating a seven step "circle of fifths".
There are three VCO's involved - Synthetic Sound Labs Double-DekaUltrasonic VCO, an SSL VCO through a 5-Pulser and a trio of Mos Lab 901's and 904-B filter.
The DDVCO is tuned to the low root, the Mos Lab's are tuned to a ninth above and the SSL is a fifth above that. The mix from a STG Soundlabs mixer is then run to an Empress reverb in modulation mode and a TC Electronic tape delay DSP from the D-Two rack delay.
A secondary voice from the Sputnik West Coast Random Source module to a FSFX Braids in Harmonic mode is the detuned sliding discordant background melody. It has a slew integrator FM modulation to give it the slowly bending pitch effect. Timbre and Color are modulated from the WCRS as well. It is further flanged by an SSL Digital Delay.
Several filters (dotcom Q107, STG Sea Devils, Yusynth Arp 4072 and a Mega Ohm Audio CdS) are being pinged by various envelopes - some looping. They are STG Soundlabs EG, Q109's and Oakley Sound Labs VCADSR (Krisp1 build).
A pair of STG Voltage Mini Stores are producing a rapid loop step sequence to a pair of Q106's which come and go in the background.
There are a couple of noise pads in the background. One is from a pink noise source through an Oakley Ring Modulator then to an Oakley VCSVF in band pass which is modulated from the WCRS and an LFO then on to a Strymon Blue Sky pedal. The other is a quick fluttering high white noise sound through an Encore frequency shifter (which is pitch modulated from a Q960 sequencer) and then sent to a Jurgen Haible Tau "Pipe" Phaser.
Further gate and LFO timing is handled with the Moon Modular M563 Trigger Sequencer, the SSL V-Gates, a pair of Q962 Sequential Switches and Q961 Interfaces.
Other modular delays involved are the Modcan 73B Dual Delay and a custom Behringer DD400 digital delay.

Return to “5U Format Modules”