Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

BendingBus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BendingBus » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 pm

alternating.bit wrote:COMPLETE!
That's a serious amount of stuff you got there!!

intuitivemike
Common Wiggler

Modcan

Post by intuitivemike » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:20 pm

I have just added my first Modcan modules to my modular configuration.

Intensive Buzzing

drumlager
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drumlager » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

SUB37 is the new addition. Next need a delay for the modular as well as beefing up the sequencer.Image

AnalogBastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AnalogBastard » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Damn ! Some serious looking systems here :tu: :yay:

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 am

Look who's talking! Assuming your avatar is your own system.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Only one space left, probably for a Corsynth C105.

AnalogBastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AnalogBastard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:50 am

alternating.bit wrote:Look who's talking! Assuming your avatar is your own system.
:oops: lol.. It was. I dropped the wider center cab's for another Moog 1P style cab for a more traditional 3P system layout.

spinach_pizza
knobs . . . knobs . . . KNOBS!

Post by spinach_pizza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am

fac wrote:Only one space left, probably for a Corsynth C105.

Looking good, fac! :tu:

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:32 am

New Module.
Thx Hexinverter & Re:Synthesis :nana:

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:46 am

Any demos out there on this Battery Acid module?
I'm curious how much distortion it provides vs, say the Oakley Overdrive, which is rather tame when it comes to distortion in the traditional sense (like a guitar distortion pedal).

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 am

Sorry i am bad in producing Demos.
I dont know the oakley Module but the Battery acid Sounds Real Good.

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:21 am

"sounds real good"... well that just gives me tons to go off of :|

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:23 am

Perhaps you find Some Info on :

www.hexinverter.net

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:16 am

My latest setup isn't too terribly different from the last photo I posted on Page 227 in this thread. I tilted the angled Box11 more vertical so when I added another Box11 to the front, the sum total dimensional change was it was six inches taller and four inches deeper. I also added two more Q106 VCO's, a Q127 Fixed Filter Bank and Q140 FFB Aid, and a Q119 Sequential Controller. Something had to go as I was out of room, so based upon what I use the least, the Zeroscillator got bubblewrapped and stashed away in a box. Here is the result. Again, it doesn't look terribly different from Page 227, though it's actually more than ten percent more space, all due to the magic of the modularity of the Box11 system:

A major change is coming in the coming weeks, though, so stay tuned, boys and girls!

EDIT: I almost forgot! I also added the Q174 MIDI Interface and Q175 Aid modules. Those are a lot of fun!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:58 am

Whow! It looks like the space ship you are currently visiting earth with. I like the ergonomic symmetry and somehow it has something organic, too...

:zombie:

gregae
Common Wiggler

Post by gregae » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:34 am

Awesome rig - but where'e the QHL cable holder? :hihi:

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks, Leverkusen. Sometimes when the lights are out or I'm playing just by the lava lamp or neon sign I have in there, it seems like I'm in a space ship. And it's ergonomics that made me go with this configuration to begin with. Everything is so easy to reach. It's getting ready to get even easier...

Forgive my ignorance, gregae, but I don't even know what a QHL cable holder is! As the old song goes, "Don't get around much anymore." What I use for a cable holder is a stand that is supposed to be used for drying clothes on hangers in apartments where space can be a problem. It folds up neatly and serves my purpose well, but it was the ugliest thing when I got it! Multiple garishly-colored plastic parts on a plain aluminum center pole... So a few shots of flat black from a rattle can later, it turned out very nicely, I think. Here is an old photo of it when most of the cords are at work on the rig. You can't see a tie rack wire-tied to the base of it where I keep the 1-ft. patch cords...

The 'horns' that stick up at the top of the cord stand are good for the really long patch cords. And on the rare occasions of a simultaneous blue moon and lunar eclipse (which is very rare) of playing elsewhere other than my studio, I can put all of the patch cords in a large duffle bag, fold up the rack, and put the rack in the same bag, as it folds up into a fairly small package.

Like many of us, I find myself loaded down sometimes with a yoke of patch cords hanging from my neck. But the support arms of the amp stands that hold the two Portable cabinets often serve to temporarily hold patch cords as things evolve. So that keeps me from having to go to the cord stand very often.

gregae
Common Wiggler

Post by gregae » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Savage -

The QHL is one of Roger's latest dotcom offerings:

Thought everyone knew. Mounts atop a standard mic stand using a supplied threaded adapter. I got one to take care of patch cord spagetti after spending several years using a CD holder tower for that purpose. Much happier now that the patch cord clutter is dealt with.

The QHL a great product - highly recommended!

And your system IS awesome! :love:

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 am

gregae wrote:Hi Savage -

Thought everyone knew. Mounts atop a standard mic stand using a supplied threaded adapter. I got one to take care of patch cord spagetti after spending several years using a CD holder tower for that purpose. Much happier now that the patch cord clutter is dealt with.

I had made a cable stand by mounting 2 Pomona cable holders to a block of wood, drilling a hole in the wood, and then sliding it on top of a microphone stand....pretty similar to Roger's QHL. As I acquired more patch cables, my stand started to get unstable. I put a 50 lb. weight on the base of the mic stand to stabilize it. But, it would still sway some with all the torque right at the base of the stand. I was concerned that the pole would snap off of the base.

How many cables do you have on your QHL? How high do you keep the mic stand? I have many 6 foot cables and needed to keep the stand at maximum height. Based on my experience, when I saw Roger announce the QHL, I had visions of mic stands snapping apart around the globe. :woah:

To replace my mic stand-based cable tree, I used an old lighting stand and some additional Pomona cable holders to build this stand:

This stand is rock solid even extended to over 6 feet tall. It is based on a design that the late Larry Hendry came up with.
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:23 pm

gregae wrote:Hi Savage -

I'm an idiot! Of course, I know what the QHL is! The 'Q' should've tipped me off! I already had my stand built when Roger came out with the QHL, but it, like Vince's stand, does have the advantage of keeping the patch cords straight rather than draped.

Coincidentally, I gave Vince a stand like mine. When I bought mine, I bought two and gave him one. (I didn't paint his, though. I didn't know if the flat black would match the alien decor of his Area 51 studio.) But, as you can see, he didn't really need it.

Now if you guys will excuse me, I'm on a deadline. I must go make some music!

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Savage wrote:Image

A major change is coming in the coming weeks, though, so stay tuned, boys and girls!

EDIT: I almost forgot! I also added the Q174 MIDI Interface and Q175 Aid modules. Those are a lot of fun!
And I'm still envious as all sin about your setup! Still tempted to make a similar setup myself!

gregae
Common Wiggler

Post by gregae » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 am

VinceL wrote: I have many 6 foot cables and needed to keep the stand at maximum height.

Based on your modular setup, I can see the need for those 6 foot cables!

My two-cab (plus one Box11) setup doesn't require 6 foot cables, so I can get away with shorter cords. As a result, a single QHL Patch Cable holder atop an Atlas mic stand with a round weighted base is perfect and highly stable solution for me. The round base also allows it to fit into a more compact area then a tripod base would (space is at a premium in my studio).

That said, I do like the idea of your two-tiered cable holder - a great solution for dealing with a LOT of patch cords. :tu:

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:02 am

VinceL wrote:

This stand is rock solid even extended to over 6 feet tall. It is based on a design that the late Larry Hendry came up with.
You have to be a tall person to use that cable holder!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Henfield wrote: You have to be a tall person to use that cable holder!
I'm a short 5' 8" but I can reach up to the top cable holders. :tu:

I do have (and use) a few 10' patch cables. Needless to say, they don't go on the cable tree. :lol:
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 pm

VinceL wrote:
Henfield wrote:I do have (and use) a few 10' patch cables. Needless to say, they don't go on the cable tree. :lol:
Vince, you and a few other 5U folks like Kindred Lost, Beermaster, Aliens Project, Hans Zimmer etc could use a few of these loaded with long patch cords! :hihi:

[video][/video]

Return to “5U Format Modules”