Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm

synthetic wrote:You might need to learn to use the Photoshop "Image Size" tool, though. ;)
:roll: editing smediting! Dat's just too much work! I'll just suggest to Paul that he send a free 42" monitor to everyone who views his web site! :lol:

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Another modular synth up in the middle of a cold Canada winter:

More pics/info here

Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:54 pm

mad
thank look so crazy

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 am

Jesus God Almighty, that is beautiful!

Thats awesome how you color coded every in/out per function. For a second I thought you converted your jacks to banana plugs.
Heavy Lids

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:04 am

neandrewthal wrote:Another modular synth up in the middle of a cold Canada winter:

More pics/info here
:wow: Very 8)

So . . . do you store the suitcases over the top of your synth so you'll actually notice when your girl freind/wife has finally had enough and is packing to leave you?? :lol:

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 am

Thanks guys :bananaguitar:

JohnLRice wrote: So . . . do you store the suitcases over the top of your synth so you'll actually notice when your girl freind/wife has finally had enough and is packing to leave you?? :lol:

:lol: Where do you get those things again? I must have missed the memo. Too busy sitting in front of my synth :huh:

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 am

That is a bad ass looking synth Neandrewthal.

Do you just spray paint all the nuts and washers before putting them on?

What is your color coding scheme?

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:39 am

Looks absolutely fantastic, neandrewthal!! :hail:
Is the spray paint holding out ok? Is it matte or gloss? (i've found matte on metal can flake/rub off. There's automative spraypaint which would be suitable for the job).
I'd like to do panels with stencils & spraypaint.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 am

OK, time for a little fashon show for the lowliest of all modular modules, THE MULTIPLES PANEL!!!!!!!!!! :party:

This saucy little Bride Chamber panel is sporting Switchcraft 112 jacks and scandelously excessive 14 gauge stranded wire! :eek: The tabliods are going to have a field day with this one, folks!

:hyper:

:msnsmack:

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:45 pm

why the heavy gauge #14 wire??
:confused:

neandrewthal
full clout y'all

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Cheers dudes :chug:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Do you just spray paint all the nuts and washers before putting them on?

What is your color coding scheme?
Yep, spray paint.

Red = Logic input
Orange = Logic output

Blue = CV attenuator input
Purple = Unattenuated(V/oct) control input
Pink = CV Output

Green = Audio input
Yellow = Audio output

Grey = Universal processing input
White = Universal output.

Roycie Roller wrote: Is the spray paint holding out ok? Is it matte or gloss? (i've found matte on metal can flake/rub off. There's automative spraypaint which would be suitable for the job).
The spraypaint is fine so far. The self etching primer helps it stick(thank god I didn't have to sand all those things) and it is the regular gloss paint. I looked at the automotive ones, but I couldn't find all the pretty colors :oops: Just boring car colors. I put a couple of coats of clear acrylic on after and some matte lacquer over top to get rid of the nasty gloss.

Some of them have a few chips from assembly, but I haven't scratched a single one in use yet. I tested some on a mock up panel and found that you have to stab them really hard with a patch cord to make a chip. I never use this much force in real life. I just hope they don't flake off over the years :help:

JohnLRice wrote:scandelously excessive 14 gauge stranded wire! :eek:

No coax? Disgraceful :spank:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:why the heavy gauge #14 wire??
:confused:
So I can patch in some power tools . . . maybe even a small arc welder! :lol:

Actually because it's all I had around and I wanted to finish the multiple ASAP.

That said, after I posted those pictures I tried the multiples out and found that my stupid ground wire was too stupidly close to the stupid tip of certain stupid patch cables when inserted, even though the stupid test plug I stupidly used while making the stupid multiples worked fine so I removed the stupid ground wire and will find something thinner . . . . :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 pm

to neandrewthal- your system is absolutely beautiful, it very much reminds me of the mountain range to the east when lit by an Arizona summer sunset when the stars are able to shine above. Or as the youngsters like to say Mad props yo!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:scandelously excessive 14 gauge stranded wire! :eek:

No coax? Disgraceful :spank:
Yeah, I thought about that . . . but i sure like me some spankerins so I made bad booboo on purpose! :lolhammer:

Anybody got a pic of the back of a multiple panel they wanna show me? (I already showed you mine :lick: )

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 am

Things are coming along but it seems painfully slow. :roll: I be likin' it though! :mrgreen:

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:12 am

Love those racks! Hope they'll be back in stock one day! :bang:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:01 am

parasitk wrote:Love those racks! Hope they'll be back in stock one day! :bang:
Yeah, they keep bumping the date on the 12U ones.(not available for another 5 months at least!?! :eek: ) Is that what you are waitiing on? I took delivery of my new 10U one on Friday and I think those are still in stock.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 am

Yeah I've been waiting for those 12u ones to come back. Grrr!

neandrewthal
full clout y'all

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Nice drums :eek: :love:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:39 pm

neandrewthal wrote:Nice drums :eek: :love:
Thanks! Snare drums (and gongs :mrgreen: ) were my excessive buying obsession a year or two ago! When my snare drum rack was full I stopped. (and I only cheated once and bought another one! :lol: ) I was trying to get a nice variety of unique sounds and looks going. It would be off topic to list them all but . . .I will if you want! :hihi:

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 pm

What's yer big organ?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Roycie Roller wrote:What's yer big organ?

:woah: You are NA-STY! Oh! you mean the Hammond M-111 in the picture? :wink:

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 am

JohnLRice wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:What's yer big organ?

:woah: You are NA-STY! Oh! you mean the Hammond M-111 in the picture? :wink:
yeah, that's the one i meant. :hihi:
I've owned a number of big organs in my lifetime...Once, i bought one at an opportunity shop for $3. The old lady behind the counter said "oh, it isn't working"...,so i turned it on & 3 keys worked, but all they did was make the plate reverb go crazy!! It was an awesome sound. I didn't have a car then, so i piled it into a shopping trolley and wheeled it home. A friend and i got it inside by rolling it & heaving it sideways. But when i powered it up, i had wrecked it- it now worked perfectly!!! So i never got to use the space sounds.
Recently i saw a Hammond advertised for $100 in the local paper, and immediately rang to find out if it was a B3. Alas, it was a different model (i think one of the 100 series), but i still drove out to look at it. Unfortunately, i didn't really like it, and, as any big organ owner knows, they weigh a tonne & can take up the space of a couch. So i passed on it. I've still got my eyes open for anything with valves in it & plate reverbs.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:16 am

I got this one for $200. Later I saw a couple that people were giving away FOR FREE!!!!! :eek: :bang: It works Ok but needs some repair. I want to chop it down. Not that I plan in moving it much less giggging with it but I want to put some stuff underneath it!

jneilnyc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jneilnyc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi!

I'm new here, though I've talked with some of you before on the MOTM and AH mailing lists.
Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring here with a shot of my 5U system (MOTM/Oakley/Blacet),
which finally got to the "making noises" stage over the holidays:

You can see the big-ass version here:

http://www.jneil.com/motm/

Enjoy!

Return to “5U Format Modules”