Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 am

@Hubba-Swift :sb: :tu: :yay:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 am

Huba-Swift wrote: Image
:eyes: :drunkhomer:

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:58 am

Nice, really Beautiful!
If I may, just an alternative thought. Why don´t you build a 2x22 cabinet instead?
It´s a matter of taste, of coarse, but I would prefer a straight 2x22 cabinet on top of your leaning 2x22. Half of it, I would fill with the modules in you botton 1x22 cabinet.
The left over 1x22 cabinet, in turn, rest for a while, waitng for the eventually inevitable fifth row of modules.
All it takes, is for you to double the length of the two new wooden gables, and add wood studs in the middle.

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks for all the praise JLR, Flareless, and Putte! 16 year old me would have never anticipated ending up with this many modules when I was just started out.
Putte wrote: Nice, really Beautiful!
If I may, just an alternative thought. Why don´t you build a 2x22 cabinet instead?
It´s a matter of taste, of coarse, but I would prefer a straight 2x22 cabinet on top of your leaning 2x22. Half of it, I would fill with the modules in you botton 1x22 cabinet.
The left over 1x22 cabinet, in turn, rest for a while, waitng for the eventually inevitable fifth row of modules.
All it takes, is for you to double the length of the two new wooden gables, and add wood studs in the middle.
It did occur to me, after all, building 44 space cabinets is a lot more cost effective since it requires almost half as much wood. As for why I decided to go the way I did, it's mainly cause I dig the look of Keith Emerson's setup. I'm not a huge fan of the module layout, having all the sequencers and what-not tucked away at the top, but the look of the cabinet is pretty sweet. Coincidently, the other board of mahogany that will be getting used for the third cabinet is just slightly too short to be made into a 44U cabinet, so another 22U cabinet it will have to be!

Edit: I was just reminded of this series of posts from thread in 2016 :hihi:
Huba-Swift wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:I've been meaning to get into modular for a very long time (maybe 2 years?) and finally did it. I picked up this 16 space dotcom system and couldn't be happier.
Ha. You'll always want more, trust me :P
Na, I disagree, I'm actually already pretty content with this system. I've never been one for developing irrational buying habits. I also think I wont get too stuck up in modular because I like my polyphony too much... Unless I decide to make a polyphonic modular :eek:
9 days later...
JohnLRice wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:Yea, about that previous post, I just ordered 6 more modules :hihi:
:lol: I was going to join in with Alt.bit and say something too but I thought I would just wait for you to post that you bought a few more things since I figured it wouldn't take long! :mrgreen: :party: :goo:
...Now at this point, I've acknowledged that I will never be content, but I'm content with that.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Huba-Swift wrote:My system has now made the jump from 44MU to 66MU! :banana: ...... Anyways, here it is!
Ridiculously impressive!

Excellent workmanship, thought of design, and beautifully executed!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Huba-Swift wrote:My system has now made the jump from 44MU to 66MU! :banana: I've still got another 13MU of various modules that I don't have space for, so I'll be adding another 22MU cabinet on top soon. I'm planning on re-doing the power system throughout the entire modular as well since Dotcom's solution is sort of hokey. I won't be doing bus bars or anything super fancy, just distribution boards with neatly routed power connectors.
Looks awesome up there, Huba! Your setup has me thinking that when I jump from 66U to 88U later this year, like you I just might add a straight 22U row underneath my slanted cabinet (if I can find myself a good cabinetmaker. In my hands power tools become lethal weapons — to myself, that is :ripbanana:)

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 am

I see, it´s a matter of taste. My system is divided into four 2x11 cabinets, but I would prefer less wood. Two 2x44 cabinets would have looked better, in my mind, but I realized I mostly would have to carry them myself. Almost 10 inch deep oak cabinets would, sooner or later, have been damaged. Too wide and too heavy. 22U:s are a lot easier to handle.

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am

Huba-Swift, that's a beatiful beast. Just get that thing off of the floor.

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am

alternating.bit wrote:Huba-Swift, that's a beatiful beast. Just get that thing off of the floor.
:bang: :lol: Yea, I honestly have nowhere to put it except on the floor right now. I currently have two ideas for getting it off the floor. One is to build a desk for it. I've got access to all the tools, pine and fir wood I could ever want to build one (my father owns a framing company), or I could somehow lug my Hammond M3 up into my room on the 2nd floor, and set it on top of that with a keyboard garage for a controller. The only problem with having the M3 in my room is that I would have trouble finding space for my two 760 Leslie speakers. I'm still indecisive on what route to take so I haven't done much of anything to get this project off the ground.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Huba-Swift wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:Huba-Swift, that's a beatiful beast. Just get that thing off of the floor.
:bang: :lol: Yea, I honestly have nowhere to put it except on the floor right now. I currently have two ideas for getting it off the floor. One is to build a desk for it. I've got access to all the tools, pine and fir wood I could ever want to build one (my father owns a framing company), or I could somehow lug my Hammond M3 up into my room on the 2nd floor, and set it on top of that with a keyboard garage for a controller. The only problem with having the M3 in my room is that I would have trouble finding space for my two 760 Leslie speakers. I'm still indecisive on what route to take so I haven't done much of anything to get this project off the ground.
My wife has two M3s (a 1955 and a 1952 .. named "Morticia" and "Gomez" after the parents in the 1960s TV show "The Addams Family"). The only problem you'd run into is the M3 is 44 inches wide. I'm guessing your cabinets are 48 inches wide.

However that may not be a problem for you. :despair:

Especially since you have access to a fully equipped woodshop.

8-)
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:
My wife has two M3s (a 1955 and a 1952 .. named "Morticia" and "Gomez" after the parents in the 1960s TV show "The Addams Family"). The only problem you'd run into is the M3 is 44 inches wide. I'm guessing your cabinets are 48 inches wide.

However that may not be a problem for you. :despair:

Especially since you have access to a fully equipped woodshop.

8-)
Exactly! An idea I had was to build a desk that fits perfectly over top of the M3. This would make it possible to have a keyboard and garage that could still sit on top of the M3. The desk would probably extend extra on the side to allow for some 19" rack gear or whatever effects, small synths, or drums machine I decide to place on it.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

here is my planning stage for my 5U modules....I already own most of them, they are in boxes waiting for cabs to be built

I decided to build 2 cabinets, each 11x3 rows, for portability. in modular grid I just made a single 22x3 cab

thoughts?

I hope this modular grid link works:

I will need some more envelopes & vca's, probably LFO too. I do have a couple LFO's I can patch from other sources though, for now.

and eventually I'd like to get a couple of the big 5U sequencers. but they will go in their own case

thx!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 am

umma gumma wrote: I will need some more envelopes & vca's, probably LFO too. I do have a couple LFO's I can patch from other sources though, for now.
Believe it or not, the regular old Dot Com Q106 oscillator is an excellent LFO. Yup, it takes up 2MU ... oh well!

It's one hell of a great modulator/LFO.

8-)

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 am

ah, yes I wanted to get a couple of those OSC anyway, since they have the octave switches on them, which i use a lot

I was planning to build a 5U version of this, actually:

https://northcoastsynthesis.com/product ... -bank.html

I might even be able to fit all 8 LFO's into 1U, since there are no dials

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am

umma gumma wrote:ah, yes I wanted to get a couple of those OSC anyway, since they have the octave switches on them, which i use a lot

I'd also check out the Yusynth Quadrature LFO. It's not really 4 LFOS since they're all the same frequency, just 90 degrees out of phase from each other, but it can quite useful for when you don't want changes that are too radical but still don't all occur at the same time. It's also got rate and cv controls which are two functions I personally find quite nice to have on an LFO, especially the rate control!

I also have to mention that I love seeing CGS stuff in 5U. Looks like a pretty fun setup.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

umma gumma wrote:ah, yes I wanted to get a couple of those OSC anyway, since they have the octave switches on them, which i use a lot
LINK = https://www.synthesizers.com/q123.html

It switches whatever is connected to it by semitones and octaves. So you can instantly switch to a perfect fifth interval, an octave interval, a minor third interval, or everwhat. Up or down as well. Also offers A-440hz tone for tuning.

:tu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Huba-Swift wrote:

I'd also check out the Yusynth Quadrature LFO. It's not really 4 LFOS since they're all the same frequency, just 90 degrees out of phase from each other, but it can quite useful for when you don't want changes that are too radical but still don't all occur at the same time. It's also got rate and cv controls which are two functions I personally find quite nice to have on an LFO, especially the rate control!

I also have to mention that I love seeing CGS stuff in 5U. Looks like a pretty fun setup.
Also give the Krisp1 OCTO Quadrature LFO a look:
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=108

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 am

This is my actually rack...
I’m new into 5u Modular...which one module add in This setup for more ambient?
:party: :hail: :guinness:

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 am

plastilina wrote:I’m new into 5u Modular...which one module add in This setup for more ambient?
:party: :hail: :guinness:
Cool case! Check out this module for ambient: https://www.noisebug.net/products/granu ... aka-clouds

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 am

Umma gumma, I spot a CGS85 Triple wave shaper. Any opinions to share on that one?

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Putte wrote:Umma gumma, I spot a CGS85 Triple wave shaper. Any opinions to share on that one?
well, all my modules are sitting in boxes pending my case + power supply build....also lost my table saw in a flood: need to borrow one, or buy a new one

I'll be sure to let you know, once I get it all up & running though!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 am

I use mine to twist up both CV and audio inputs. It can either be used as three independent wave shapers or the signal can be passed through all three and butchered by CV all along the path. Each output can also be taken along the path through the shapers yielding different results at each output.

It's lots of fun!
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks, but what do the knobs do. How are the affecting the waves?

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am

The knobs attenuate the 3 inputs. The switch toggles between 3 independent shapers vs 3 linked shapers.
Rich

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:41 am

Huba-Swift... hubba hubba. :eek:

Return to “5U Format Modules”