Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

That is an Elka Synthex. Fully working, but it´s been through a lot. It used to be Mark Stanways (Magnum), during the days he had two. While on tour here in Sweden (around 88-89) he helped a local band on a few recording tracks, and also sold the Synthex to the bands keyboardist. He later sold it to a guy I´d like to call my mentor. He fell out from a balcony in L.A., and I got to buy the Synthex from his mom (1992).
I wouldn´t have the slightest idea how to describe the sound. It´s nothing close to the rest of the early 80s destroyers. It´s been discussed on many forums, but I think the best way to get it is to enjoy Magnums album On a storytellers night.
Last edited by Putte on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Heres my current setup. This is the last itll look like this.

I'm building a whole new cabinet with a half height CP row. Its gonna be 2.5 rows of 23 spaces. I got some oak boards today so its officially happening.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 am

looks like it could do with a dust! :mrgreen:

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:19 pm

helix wrote:looks like it could do with a dust! :mrgreen:
heh....yeah. I've been "dusting off" the synths lately, so to speak.

it's all been neglected cause my other hobby (fish/reefkeeping) took over my life for like 2 yrs and i'm only just now rebuilding my "synth dungeon". just picked up a new mixing console, a buncha moon CP-height modules, as well as a '74 model d "project" , so i'm finally getting back into it full force

I just got the final pieces of wood, as well as some old stock STG Rails - and i'm going to be building some new oak cabinets, hopefully tonight and tomorrow, for all of this, 23u, 2.5 rows, with a CP row....i'm hoping the next pictures I have to send are a lot more interesting....

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:41 am

I've been prototyping a new design. See if you can spot it...

Nope... not the black one

Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

modmax69
Common Wiggler

ever expanding system

Post by modmax69 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 am

Image[/img]

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

I just finished modifying a little Moon Modular T8 case so it can be used vertically and also other manufacturer's modules (besides Moon) can fit in the far left and right positions.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Classy, John. What is it about the Moon case that prevents non-Moon modules from fitting into the #1 and #8 positions?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:36 am

hsosdrum wrote:Classy, John. What is it about the Moon case that prevents non-Moon modules from fitting into the #1 and #8 positions?
Thanks. The problem with modules not fitting into the far left and right positions is that the module's panel flanges need to sit over the top of the case's metal edges and if the flanges are too deep they wont work. I've run into this issue not only with this Moon T case but also with a Synthesizers.com Box11 case when trying to put a Happy Nerding module at either end.

I think this is just an oversight where some manufacturers didn't strictly adhere to the very nice panel spec that Roger at Synthesizers.com has had posted for a very long time. https://www.synthesizers.com/tech/panel.gif
And too be fair, the flange depth hasn't been critical until these newer cases came out. And with the Moon cases . . I'm guessing that since Moon flanges are even less deep than the DotCom spec, when they made their cases they just checked for proper fit with their own modules which resulted in a case that even some DOTCOM modules wouldn't fit at the far left and right positions. :doh: :hihi:

Here are some pictures I took during the modifications, my nibbling tool takes about a 2mm bite so I went with three bites to make even the deepest flanged module fit. :bite: :bite: :bite:

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:07 pm

I've got this same Moon case, haven't gotten around to hacksawing it yet. The struggle is real

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:28 pm

As always, thanks for your research and the detail in your reply, JLR!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 pm

hsosdrum wrote:As always, thanks for your research and the detail in your reply, JLR!
You are welcome! :hug:

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 pm

I was going to wait until I had a photo of 'The Pillars of Heracles' when it was all lit up. But I logged on for another post, and I don't come here very often. (I've been too busy playing music!) I haven't posted a photo of it since Page 128, I think, and I've added a few modules to it. I'll have to take out some of the more frivolous modules if I want to add anything. Well, unless I add another column to it... :hyper:

A monster No-Prize to anyone who can tell what it's patched up for. It's an old and fairly well-known electronic music song.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Savage wrote:I was going to wait until I had a photo of 'The Pillars of Heracles' when it was all lit up. But I logged on for another post, and I don't come here very often. (I've been too busy playing music!) I haven't posted a photo of it since Page 128, I think, and I've added a few modules to it. I'll have to take out some of the more frivolous modules if I want to add anything. Well, unless I add another column to it... :hyper:

A monster No-Prize to anyone who can tell what it's patched up for. It's an old and fairly well-known electronic music song.
Looks great! :sb: Always a pleasure to see you here, good sir! :tu: :hug: :loves: :nod: On the patch guessing game I'll make a wild guess of POPCORN? :hmm: :mrgreen:

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:29 pm

@JohnLRice No, John, it's not "Popcorn", although that's not a bad one to consider tackling! I won't keep you in suspense (like you're losing sleep over it); it's the one Brian Eno said was going to change the world forever -- "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer and Georgio Moroder. Moroder used a Moog modular to create the music and Summer sang the vocals. I always thought it funny to watch the video and see Moroder in a crushed velvet tuxedo 'playing' that repeating bass line on a keyboard when it's clearly being sequenced. He even admitted it when he stated in an interview that he only sequenced each note once, but the engineer added a delay to it so each note was played twice and Moroder freaked out!

For my patch, I didn't use a delay and sequenced each note twice. I'm using my Dotcom dual-61 keyboard with the lower keyboard controlling the pitch of the sequence, and the upper keyboard is used for the lead sound. The trigger sequencer controls the pitch sequencer, the kick drum, and the snare. Then there is a patch for the 'minor third to major third' lead part played over the looooooong C-Major sequences. Patched this way, the whole song can be played as long or as short as desired, bringing in the chorus at any time, throwing in the lead part at will... So it's all still ultimately under human control.

I primarily patched it up just to see how hard it would be. (It's not hard at all.) But I may record it. If I do, I've thought about recording my voice singing the vocals as high as I can on tape at half speed, and then using the double-speed vocals for the final recording. I've also thought about using Doug Slocum's Scat Talker module for electronic vocals. (You certainly know how much fun that module is, John!) I've already worked out the phonemes needed to do it. Fortunately, the vocals aren't that complicated. I just don't know if I can keep the patch going long enough to record it before I lapse back into original pieces, psycho-electronic aleatoric madness, or both. I have what a pianist friend has dubbed The Great Electronic Symphony that I've now been working on for three years to finish so he can add the piano part. So "I Feel Love" may not last long enough to make it to a recording.

In the past couple years, I've also picked up the 4- and 5-string violin, the cello, the Chinese gu-qin, and a reacquaintance with the sitar. (Luckily I have electric violins and a cello that can be played through the modular synth.) I've also tried tackling the Alpine zither, but I just don't know if I'll ever get anywhere with that. I also taught music to the two children of a friend and got both of them going headfirst down the rabbit hole, one on guitar and the other on the accordion. Yeah, I know, but each week I'd demonstrate a different instrument and different kinds of music, and I let them decide for themselves what they wanted to play. Above all, music should be an individual thing.

Anyway, perhaps you now get an idea why I haven't had much time to talk about music. I just don't get on a computer that much if I can help it. I spend more time with my wife nowadays, even though she's always encouraging me, "You need to get in your music room." I camped out in the music room with the 'Pillars of Heracles' all last weekend. The other night, I watched Ken Burns' Civil War, and I played violin with the music the whole time. I played guitar with Star Trek last night. And I'm planning another weekend with the modular now. So...

I'll try to get a shot of the rest of my music room, if I get the time. But I still always remember you guys! Perhaps this will demonstrate that idea:

:hihi:
My hovercraft is full of eels.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 pm

Savage wrote:I'll try to get a shot of the rest of my music room, if I get the time. But I still always remember you guys! Perhaps this will demonstrate that idea:

:hihi:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Busted!
:oops: :mrgreen:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:46 am

Ockeghem wrote:Busted!
:oops: :mrgreen:
:hihi: :miley:

Eric G
Common Wiggler

Post by Eric G » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 am

My DIY 3P.
See http://hem.bredband.net/elmuced/3p.htm for details.

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

5U Synths

Post by davebr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:19 pm

My first 5U cabinet was a 20U 19" rack cabinet. I quickly outgrew that and built another 10U expansion cabinet to sit on top. Again I outgrew that and built a 24U wood cabinet. I ended up building four of those and then three 24U side cabinets. Then when that started to overflow I repurposed my 30U rack and replaced the bottom 3U of standard rack with a Eurorack adapter.

The rack sits to the left of my main wood cabinets.
Dave

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Eric G wrote:My DIY 3P.
See http://hem.bredband.net/elmuced/3p.htm for details.

WOW!!

:bananaguitar:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Re: 5U Synths

Post by umma gumma » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:46 pm

davebr wrote:My first 5U cabinet was a 20U 19" rack cabinet. I quickly outgrew that and built another 10U expansion cabinet to sit on top. Again I outgrew that and built a 24U wood cabinet. I ended up building four of those and then three 24U side cabinets. Then when that started to overflow I repurposed my 30U rack and replaced the bottom 3U of standard rack with a Eurorack adapter.

The rack sits to the left of my main wood cabinets.
Dave
and some more WOW!!

:bananaguitar:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 am

^ yeah... what he said :yay: :hail:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 am

:hail: :hail: :hail:

Just drooling over some of the pics on previous page.

Not much space left to fill in my DIY Oakley system. Quad_VCA-X completed, leaving one space for :hmm: not sure what - waiting for Tonys next creation.
<br>
rgds Pav

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:34 am

Excellent setup Pav :yay:

Thanks for sharing :tu:
Rich

Return to “5U Format Modules”