I made some power cable format converters tonight

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 am

4pin to 6pin. only works with 22awg.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 am

MTA-100 is designed to be terminated with 28 AWG to 22 AWG wire.
MTA-156 is designed to be terminated with 26 through 18 AWG wire.

So, the cross overs are 26, 24 and 22. :tu: You have to make sure you get the correct versions of the connectors though! DotCom is 6 pin of course and MOTM is usually 4 pin but sometimes 6 pin.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:23 am

I made and tested a cable tonight to connect a COTK C962 sequential switch (purchased recently) that has the standard COTK +-12v connector to +-15v system using a female MTA 0.100 connector. It would be best to plug this into a MTA 0.100 male header on a distro board.

It is possible to connect it to another female connector coming from a dotcom power harness using the little removable 'coupling pins' I made. (I mainly made the pins so I could test the cable) If the 'coupling pins' are to be used long term or especially if the cabinet is to me transported, some method should be employed to make sure the two connectors don't come apart (power supply sorting hazard). Maybe a cable tie, a piece of wire or electrical tape. It is also important to plug them together correctly! (see picture)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:05 am

Made some MTA 0.100 6-pin (DotCom) to MTA 0.156 6-pin (MOTM) cables tonight. I've been needing some of these all year, ever since I decided to put a row of MU in my small portable rig!

This time instead of harvesting the cables from a Synthesizers.com harness I bought some SCP Blue 22 GA Gauge AWG 4 Conductor Stranded Copper Alarm cable off of eBay: 50 feet for $11 shipped. :tu: And I already had the red 22 gauge MTA 0.100 and 0.156 connectors, strain relief caps and shrink tubing so, one more project outa the way . . .

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:46 am

Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:

A 6 pin MTA-100 in-line male header to a MTA-156 female connector (4 pin for most MOTM, 6 pin for MOTM that needs +5v, 3 pin for Modcan) Actually, anything can be on the end that the module needs.

The key is the in-line male header that the Synthesizers.com power harness connectors can plug into and they lock so there is no worry of them coming disconnected accidentally. The TE Connectivity/AMP part number is 3-647000-6 and while I bought mine from Digikey, I just noticed that Mouser has them significantly cheaper! :roll:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am

That's awesome!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:04 pm

synthcube wrote:That's awesome!
Thanks! You guys should make and sell those along with your cool PCB adapters! :tu:

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Those are great. Where do I send my money?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

tehfizzle wrote:Those are great. Where do I send my money?
Thanks! I guess I should consider making and selling these but I'd have to gauge interest and determine a price etc. Off the top of my head maybe $5 to $6 each plus shipping . . . :hmm:

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I'd buy a half dozen or so.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Very nice find, John!

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megaohm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:59 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
The key is the in-line male header that the Synthesizers.com power harness connectors can plug into and they lock so there is no worry of them coming disconnected accidentally. The TE Connectivity/AMP part number is 3-647000-6 and while I bought mine from Digikey, I just noticed that Mouser has them significantly cheaper! :roll:

John - you da man!!!
Been looking for this solution but had yet to try these.
Could never convince myself they were what is needed going on the drawing alone.
Beautiful solution.
Especially nice because you used the thickest gauge MTA100 connector (red - 22AWG).

:bacon:
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megaohm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Not sure if everyone already knows this but you can power euro from MTA100 connectors (assuming they are rewired correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Here's an example (although not a great one. Those should be 8 pin MTA100 for this particular euro power header (in the mail, 22AWG, too)).

Euro is a dual inline header. The MTA100 connector ignores one row and the back will slide in perfectly with those unused pins. Those unused pins are connected via pcb traces to the row which the MTA100 connector attaches to.
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
tehfizzle wrote:Those are great. Where do I send my money?
Thanks! I guess I should consider making and selling these but I'd have to gauge interest and determine a price etc. Off the top of my head maybe $5 to $6 each plus shipping . . . :hmm:
hell i'd buy 6 or more off you at that price sounds reasonable. I tried sourcing part numbers once before and found it a headache since they dont always seem to tally between outlets. down under we have farnell. unless you have a farnell part number i would just as easily prefer to buy some off you john, that is if you are up to it. they look real handy till i find a better way. please get back to me.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I'm hesitant to give a price until I figure it out and even then hesitant to take money before I get them made up because, I tend to easily over commit and then procrastinate. :doh:

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:09 am

JohnLRice wrote:Thanks for the reminder! I'm hesitant to give a price until I figure it out and even then hesitant to take money before I get them made up because, I tend to easily over commit and then procrastinate. :doh:
i can understaand that. The thing is those connectors come with so many pin counts and i need to make sure i get the type with the motm 4pin connector end of the other half and not some totally different one. would those connectors work alone or is the cable neccessary? Even when i typed in that part number you gave showed one with 8pins so my search hasnt been that successful yet.
actually we have element 16 or something I could try.
thanks all the same.

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 am

megaohm wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

John - you da man!!!
Been looking for this solution but had yet to try these.
Could never convince myself they were what is needed going on the drawing alone.
Beautiful solution.
Especially nice because you used the thickest gauge MTA100 connector (red - 22AWG).

:bacon:
looking at it again i see you still have to chop pin 2 or 5 off for dotcom still, is that right?
i forget which pin but...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:16 am

LoveHertz wrote:looking at it again i see you still have to chop pin 2 or 5 off for dotcom still, is that right?
i forget which pin but...
Pin 2 I believe and you can just pull it out with some needle nosed pliers. :tu:

jmcecil
low order biterness

Post by jmcecil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 am

man, I've been trying to find that part ... thanks!
music noun, often attributive
: personal interpretation of ones auditory experience beyond basic sound recognition
: anything that makes your parents say "turn that shit down"

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am

JohnLRice wrote:Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:

A 6 pin MTA-100 in-line male header to a MTA-156 female connector (4 pin for most MOTM, 6 pin for MOTM that needs +5v, 3 pin for Modcan) Actually, anything can be on the end that the module needs.

ok i been chatting to help at mouser. i thought that orange connector was two pieces,one plugged into the back of the other and they were sold as one part but now i know it isnt. i see in one of those pics of you holding the one you made that you have a red wire showing on the right (dotcom)side but it is not shown connected on the left 4pin motm style mta connector. Is that a 5v supply?
Also john do they come with the white covers or are they not neccessary. They look nice and neat.

jmcecil
low order biterness

Post by jmcecil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 am

If someone could be so kind as to identify the crimp/pushpin tool for that size MTA connector, I would appreciate it. I've bought 2, one too big, one too small.
: personal interpretation of ones auditory experience beyond basic sound recognition

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:16 pm

LoveHertz wrote:i see in one of those pics of you holding the one you made that you have a red wire showing on the right (dotcom)side but it is not shown connected on the left 4pin motm style mta connector. Is that a 5v supply?
Also john do they come with the white covers or are they not neccessary. They look nice and neat.
A majority of MOTM modules don't use a +5v rail and use the 4 pin MTA 0.156 connector. For those that do a 6 pin MTA 0.156 connector would have been used. I didn't need to connect the +5v wire on the DotCom side but it doesn't hurt to do so.

The white dust caps aren't really necessary but I like the way they look!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm

jmcecil wrote:If someone could be so kind as to identify the crimp/pushpin tool for that size MTA connector, I would appreciate it. I've bought 2, one too big, one too small.
:hmm: If you have both sizes, MTA 0.100 and MTA 0.156, you have the correct ones.

jmcecil
low order biterness

Post by jmcecil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
jmcecil wrote:If someone could be so kind as to identify the crimp/pushpin tool for that size MTA connector, I would appreciate it. I've bought 2, one too big, one too small.
:hmm: If you have both sizes, MTA 0.100 and MTA 0.156, you have the correct ones.
I'll get'em out and check again. I kind of thought I was covering the bases when I got them.

I'm like %98.7 sure that I have the MTA 100 tool. But I sure couldn't get it to fit the the dotcom headers I was using to make the adapters. But, I've learned 120938081298398 since I tried last. Maybe I was just being a dumb-ass.

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-a ... dp/98F2821

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am

One thing I do every time I make some MTA cables is to put the insertion tool into a connector without a wire, just to get the feel for what I'm doing.

And note that while the MTA 100 tool is symetrical and can be inserted either way, the MTA 156 tool is not and will only go in one way.
Last edited by JohnLRice on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “5U Format Modules”