I made some power cable format converters tonight

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

jmcecil
low order biterness

Post by jmcecil » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 am

Upon further review, I am indeed a dumb-ass.... probably didn't need further review. I had the correct tools, just not a monkey smart enough to use them.
music noun, often attributive
: personal interpretation of ones auditory experience beyond basic sound recognition
: anything that makes your parents say "turn that shit down"

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 am

hello, i'm in expanding modus ..somehow..
i've got a mouser order (1sttime) on pending and thought i "quickly"...(hahaha) add some headers.
now, are these http://it.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx ... 3-640426-6 the right ones, for the 4 motm 6 pin headers on this http://www.synthtech.com/images/m995large.jpg distroboard, and please could a kind wiggler point me to the .com headers? (just female) or am i wrong and the mouser # above is for .com headers? :hmm:
Racks'NTracks ig.welt_am_draht

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 pm

zeta wrote:are these http://it.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx ... 3-640426-6 the right ones, for the 4 motm 6 pin headers on this http://www.synthtech.com/images/m995large.jpg distroboard,
Yes, they look correct to me for 6 pin MOTM connectors, especially if you are using 18 gauge wire, which is the MOTM standard for power cables.
zeta wrote:please could a kind wiggler point me to the .com headers? (just female) or am i wrong and the mouser # above is for .com headers? :hmm:
The ones you listed above are for MOTM and are MTA-156 connectors. For DotCom you'll want to get MTA-100 connectors. The 156 and 100 refer to the 'pitch' (distance from pin to pin) 156 is 0.156 inches and 100 is 0.100 inches.

For the best connections make sure to use the specified wire gauge for the connector. There are about four different versions for each pitch size and they are color coded.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:43 am

I ran out of headers on a distribution board in one of my racks so I added in-line/pass-through connectors to 3 of my custom cables:

TMA-1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TMA-1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:23 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:
I'm just going to join the chorus here and say you are a saint! With this I can greatly diversify my system. I really didn't want to buy a second power supply after buying the dotcom system, so this is a godsend.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am

TMA-1 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:
I'm just going to join the chorus here and say you are a saint! With this I can greatly diversify my system. I really didn't want to buy a second power supply after buying the dotcom system, so this is a godsend.
Glad to be of help! :tu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Sort of on topic . . . I had a few left over ends from a DotCom power harness so I soldered 4 of them together to make a quick and dirty mini harness.

One of my power supplies never got a distro board and just has screw terminals. Trying to attach multiple 24 gauge DotCom power wires has always been tedious and not very robust so this little harness should make things better.

tomorrowstops
Common Wiggler

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Can one of you guys post the exact list of parts and tools necessary to make those neat little Dotcom harness to MOTM cable adapters? I'd like to try and make a couple if its not too difficult/expensive.

Unless there's another source to buy these all made up already?

EDIT: Doh, I also see that Bridechamber has adapter boards for $45. I think I'll just go this route!

analogjeff
Common Wiggler

Post by analogjeff » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:51 am

I made some of these too.. and I put motm connectors on some , all in the same harnass.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:08 am

megaohm wrote:Not sure if everyone already knows this but you can power euro from MTA100 connectors (assuming they are rewired correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Thanks again for this tip, Phil!! :hail: :yay: I used it to allow a slightly oversized eurorack module to fit into my case! See this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1872930#1872930

dan_e10
Common Wiggler

Re: I made some DotCom to MOTM power cables tonight

Post by dan_e10 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:56 am

JohnLRice wrote:I was making a few more of these cables tonight and since my camera was in reach I thought I would make a clear picture of how the MOTM end gets wired:

Wonderful thread, thanks for all this info John. Here's a perhaps dumb question. Apologies if it's already been answered in the thread. Is this MTA156 connector also the same format as the ones used to plug into the MOTM modules themselves? I don't have an MOTM distribution board, but I will soon have about 4-5 MOTM modules that I'll use in a dotcom system. I was planning to just cannibalize some of the ends of my QDH40 harness. One of the modules, the MOTM 650 needs the 5V line. If these connectors work to directly connect to modules (w/out distribution board), are the pin assignments the same as shown for making a connector to plug into the distro board?

thanks,
Dan

JohnLRice

Re: I made some DotCom to MOTM power cables tonight

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 08, 2015 10:48 am

dan_e10 wrote:Is this MTA156 connector also the same format as the ones used to plug into the MOTM modules themselves?
Yes! :tu: Most MOTM modules use the 4 pin version of course but you'll need the 6 pin version for the MOTM-650 and MOTM-730 modules.
dan_e10 wrote: I don't have an MOTM distribution board, but I will soon have about 4-5 MOTM modules that I'll use in a dotcom system. I was planning to just cannibalize some of the ends of my QDH40 harness.
Just to be clear, the QDH40 harness and DotCom modules use the smaller MTA100 connectors. So, for your MOTM modules just buy some MTA156 connectors, pull the MTA100 connectors off some of the harness cables and attach the MTA156 connectors.

dan_e10
Common Wiggler

Post by dan_e10 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:11 am

Great, thanks John! Does the 6 pin MTA connector work with the modules that don't need 5V as well, or do I actually need the 4 pin connector for those?
Dan

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 08, 2015 11:41 am

dan_e10 wrote:Great, thanks John! Does the 6 pin MTA connector work with the modules that don't need 5V as well, or do I actually need the 4 pin connector for those?
Dan
You can use the 6 pin connector on 4 pin headers so long as there isn't some component in the way on the left side where it over hangs.

The bad part about using the wrong size is that there is a danger of accidentally plugging it in wrong and doing some damage so, be careful!

dan_e10
Common Wiggler

Post by dan_e10 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:14 pm

JohnLRice wrote:You can use the 6 pin connector on 4 pin headers so long as there isn't some component in the way on the left side where it over hangs.

That's what I was wondering. So it sounds like for some modules it might work and for others it won't.
JohnLRice wrote:The bad part about using the wrong size is that there is a danger of accidentally plugging it in wrong and doing some damage so, be careful!
Yeah, that wouldn't be worth the risk. I'll check out the modules once I get them to see which actually need 6pin connectors. I think the 650 is probably the only one I am getting which would need a 6pin connector. Thanks John.
Dan

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 pm

a stupid question, but which side do you insert a keying plug to an MTA connector? By pushing in on the front or by punching down on the back?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Sugarfree wrote:a stupid question, but which side do you insert a keying plug to an MTA connector? By pushing in on the front or by punching down on the back?
For the most satisfactory results the plug is pushed into the bottom hole . . . :eek: :miley: Basically it goes in the same way that a pin from a mating connector does.

Here's a pic next to a penny:

Here's a pic with it poked in half way:

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:08 pm

thanks for clarifying this. Couldn't find anything in technical docs.

BTW, I really like MTA connector strain relief covers more than regular dust covers. The strain relief supports cables from the other side, preventing them from being pulled off. A really solid connection!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

Sugarfree wrote:thanks for clarifying this. Couldn't find anything in technical docs.

BTW, I really like MTA connector strain relief covers more than regular dust covers. The strain relief supports cables from the other side, preventing them from being pulled off. A really solid connection!
You are welcome and yeah, might as well spend a few pennies more and get the strain relief covers.

Also, the keying plugs shouldn't be necessary if you buy the polarized MTA connectors? The two little nibs on either side help ensure correct orientation.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 26, 2017 8:37 pm

OK, here's a weird one: COTK +-12v module connector to Mos-Lab power bus connector. And it's made out of a eurorack power cable. :eek: :hihi:

I'll report back if it was a big fail or not . . .

EDIT: FAILED! :hmm: :despair: Please stand by . . .

OK, the one below is correct!

CXIV
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CXIV » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:05 am

AGHHH so needed this!!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:40 am

DotCom 6 pin to Marienberg 3 pin:

Marienberg 3 pin to MOTM 4 pin:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:31 pm

JohnLRice wrote:And here is one frankenstien adapter so I could connect a COTK module with a 14 pin power connector to a MOTM 4 pin power header!:
megaohm wrote:Not sure if everyone already knows this but you can power euro from MTA100 connectors (assuming they are rewired correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Here's an example (although not a great one. Those should be 8 pin MTA100 for this particular euro power header (in the mail, 22AWG, too)).

Euro is a dual inline header. The MTA100 connector ignores one row and the back will slide in perfectly with those unused pins. Those unused pins are connected via pcb traces to the row which the MTA100 connector attaches to.
Here's a bit of an update on using MTA-100 connectors in IDC headers. Something I've been meaning to try for a very long time is to order various sizes of MTA connectors to find ones that fit perfectly horizontally so there is no chance of accidentally offsetting the connection. It turns out you just need to use MTA connectors that are 2 pins wider than the IDC connector is, so if you need to plug into a 16 pin IDC header (which is two rows of 8 pins) get a 10 pin MTA-100 connector. Of course it's possible to insert the connector flipped 180 degrees so it would be good to be consistent on how it's wired. I think having the side the cable exits on be on the same side as the header's polarizing notch is the way I'm going to do it.

Return to “5U Format Modules”