Sequential Prophet-ish sound 5U ?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sequential Prophet-ish sound 5U ?

Post by josaka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:25 am

what would it take.? has anyone done it?
I am assuming some sawster type carry on with an ensemble generator..?

any similar sounding demos would be nice to see/hear..

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 am

FWIW...

...the "Prophet" series is pretty diverse in sound qualities and so it might be better to narrow down the meaning of your inquiry to a particular synthesizer built by Dave Smith.

There are even differences in the way the Prophet 5 (standard bearer of the name) sounds. The SSM 2040 filter was used in the rev 2 series and then came the Curtis Chip series in rev 3.

Another thing I think makes the "Prophet" the great synth it was/is is the advent of polyphony. The first fully analog, programmable polysynth on the market. So to get that Prophet sound, (to me) is to try to master the polyphonic nature of the architecture. Of course the ability to do true polysynth work on a modular is a whole other topic.

MOTM made or I guess you can still get (?) a MOTM 440 filter which was the redesign of the SSM2040 style architecture. I use one and it is pretty damned close to "that sound". The key to the filter ingredient is the 4 pole 24dB Low Pass element. Of course not all such filters are created equal so your guess is as good as mine for a "clone" of that original filter topology. Someone here will have a more educated and honorable answer I am certain.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:12 pm

I do feel a little dirty asking this..:)
in my question.. I would include a fair host of synths.. T8 the P5 P10 the 600 as well as oberheim matrix 12 and expander the roland jupiter 8 and so on..
I own a prophet 10 oberhiem xpander cs80 and many other great synths plus quite a few modules..

it seems to me to be more than the filter alone and more than just simple polyphony.. the sawster type modules go some way to the sound.. but there is more to it.. a "glassyness" ..I'm just curious..

the upper octaves.. I'm sure you all know the sound.. but for speedy reference

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Post by XXXEsq » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 pm

kindredlost wrote:FWIW...

Another thing I think makes the "Prophet" the great synth it was/is is the advent of polyphony. The first fully analog, programmable polysynth on the market.
I agree with most of what you said, but I believe the Oberheim Four Voice (FVS1) with a programmer was available before the P5.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 11/64, Ableton Live 10/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Cirklon, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, VSX, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

coyoteous
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coyoteous » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Just take synths that use the basic original Curtis set as a basis... same chips for the most part, but they can sound very different at extremes, yet can also sound somewhat similar, for practical purpose and analysis.

Power, architecture, other chips or discrete circuits used, internal gain structure, parameterization and control range, etc. have to be factors... it's then a matter of what part of the character you're focusing on.
Shark, jumped.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:33 pm

its not just the filter its not just polyphony.. (for polyphony polymoog 75 cs80 76 predated the oberheim and prophets by a good 2 or 3 years)

these videos are a large part of the sound ..

(thanks JLR)

.. modular guys seem to dislike this sound ..or is it just me thinking that.?
Last edited by josaka on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Not sure what those last two videos have to do with anything in your initial question - the Super Sawtor module and the RMI Computer Keyboard have nothing to do with the sound or the architecture of the Prophet voice. But if you want a great sounding 24dB lowpass filter that is based on one of the Prophet filter types, check out the MOTM 440. It's one excellent filter.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:00 pm

(the rmi video was a mistake ! :) )
I have a 440 on the way.. and I have a prophet 10..
I'm pretty certain that without a saw detuner you cannot get anywhere near the prophets sound.. and that's only a (big)part of it.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Since the Prophet voice was just two oscs, all you need are two basic oscs in your modular voice, detuned and mixed and patched into the filter, to replicate that type of sound. A Super Sawtor module sounds like about NINE oscs, which can be cool, but it doesn't sound like a Prophet.

Return to “5U Format Modules”