MOTM rack rail end caps

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ppkstat
Common Wiggler

Post by ppkstat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 am

I can wait 6-8 weeks. They must be in black (i use washers for my rack screws). I can pay up to 12usd for each if you're willing to ship them with regular mail (customs here in Greece have gone haywire the last months).

wnysynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wnysynth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

I can wait the 6 to 8 weeks for sure. As far as how much would I be willing to pay, I don't know whatever fairly compensates you for your time and effort an puts some scratch in your pocket. I am more interested making this happen and will pay whatever you think is fair.

IvanC
Common Wiggler

Post by IvanC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 pm

I can wait. Interested in six pairs total, depending on price. Could be unpainted or powder coated (I can have them powder coated locally).

wnysynth
Learning to Wiggle

Increasing the quantity

Post by wnysynth » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm

I think I want to up the quantity I am interested in to 4 pairs. I don't know when these may be available again. Any idea if and when this may happen?

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

still waiting to hear back from my fabricator on pricing/time line.

sorry...
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tubeampguy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:23 am

Some examples. Note slotted hole and MOTM coating
:tu::blacet: :tu:

eskimo99
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eskimo99 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 am

I need 12 pair

ppkstat
Common Wiggler

Post by ppkstat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:08 am

I think most of us are still interested in this. I certainly am.

rattnik
Learning to Wiggle

I'm also interested

Post by rattnik » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:40 pm

If possible I need 5 with logo and 15 blanks - else just 20 blanks (10 pairs)

I really hope this will finally happen ! ;-)

rattnik
Learning to Wiggle

Logo End Cap

Post by rattnik » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Larry Hendry Logo End Cap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm

looks like there are quite a few more people interested than I originally thought...

The plan now is to order 50 pairs. i think that's enough?

I will have them painted not powder coated, which is what the original MOTM panels are. i will do my best to match the texture. I will bring an original motm panel to them for reference.

I will get back to the thread when I get pricing.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Just FYI and FWIW, as an experiment I designed a MOTM end cap in Front Panel Express. Super expensive to do it this way so best to wait for Tony to make up a proper batch?! :tu:

I'll attach the several versions. I think the black powder coated would look the closest to the originals but of course they would have a smooth finish and not have the MOTM texture . . and just one is over $40! :eek: :omg: :eek: For Modcan B folks I made one in GrayWhite power coat which I think is the closest stock color match to the Modcan B color but not exact. (custom colors are a possibility for an exact color match but I'd be afraid to inquire how much that might cost unless I was producing hundreds of panels!) And the third file is black anodized which cuts to cost in half to around $20 each. And of course the material could be switched to raw aluminum and then spray painted any color/texture but still expensive and a hassle.

NOTE: I ordered one of these to see what it would look like and should be here next week but I have not tried these yet so it's possible I measured incorrectly or made other mistakes, use at your own risk!

UPDATE EDIT Jan 10th 2018: I've verified that the measurements I used in the files below are slightly off but the sample I had produced worked fine when I replaced an original end cap in one of my MOTM racks with it. It's too time consuming to correct all the files and too expensive to order a new sample to verify so, as stated before, use at your own risk.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JohnLRice on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppkstat
Common Wiggler

Post by ppkstat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm

I though about going with the FPE route as all my panels are from there and they will have the same texture (smooth that is). That's a very expensive option except perhaps with very large quantities manufactured.

On the topic, I am up for at least 6 pairs, even more if the price is right. I don't mind terribly about the texture as long as they're black.

I don't know if 50 would be enough but I am more than happy to pay in advance.

coyoteous
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coyoteous » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:42 am

Four pairs are mine!

My other four pairs are some of Larry's early ones... prototypes, etc. (actually have nine for some reason... just ran across the the odd one earlier still wrapped in the paper towel he sent them in).

The finish is great on all of them, but holes vary on some (pre-slot)... they all work out fine with truss-head/integral-washer rack screws, though.

Miss that guy... though if it were the other way around, I doubt he'd miss me (used to bug the crap out of him on occasion).

I also have both of his level-shifter/standards modules (built by him!) and his original rack rails that don't work very well and I paid too much for... I thought they'd be like paults', but apparently he was trying to make a cheaper version before the cabinets (it's funny now, but wasn't then).

Also participated in panel runs and cable buys... I was talking to him about getting some as TRS just before the accident.

Sorry about that... just can't help going down MOTM lane.

Oh, my post #911 (I think) in honor of the mighty Moog EG (rather than the two or three more obvious connotations)... w00t!
Shark, jumped.

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 am

I'm good for 3-4 pairs.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

frokka wrote:No, end caps are the vertical rails that are 1/2 U wide.

They might be in stock even though they are not posted.
I'd like to clarify the width of these end caps. The Larry Hendry logo ones are 3/4 inches wide. (I just measured mine to be sure.) This is less than 1/2 U, which is 7/8 inches. JLR's FPD files are also 3/4 inches wide.

Larry Hendry made me a couple of 7/16 inch blank end caps to go on the left side of my Dot Com cabinet conversion to MOTM.

http://pugix.com/synth/synthesizerscom-motm-cabinet/

Two of my cabinets have empty holes at the ends, because the end caps were no longer available. And I need two of the 7/16 inch ones for the other sides. I could make those in FPD.

Also to clarify what people are asking for in this thread: It is a BLANK 3/4 inch wide 5U high POWDER COATED end cap with mounting holes. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks!
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Is the price still estimated at $7 each; i.e. $14 per pair? Just want to confirm.

If so, I'd be in for 4-6 pairs.

coyoteous
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coyoteous » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 am

pugix wrote:
frokka wrote:No, end caps are the vertical rails that are 1/2 U wide.

They might be in stock even though they are not posted.
I'd like to clarify the width of these end caps. The Larry Hendry logo ones are 3/4 inches wide. (I just measured mine to be sure.) This is less than 1/2 U, which is 7/8 inches. JLR's FPD files are also 3/4 inches wide.

Larry Hendry made me a couple of 7/16 inch blank end caps to go on the left side of my Dot Com cabinet conversion to MOTM.

http://pugix.com/synth/synthesizerscom-motm-cabinet/

Two of my cabinets have empty holes at the ends, because the end caps were no longer available. And I need two of the 7/16 inch ones for the other sides. I could make those in FPD.

Also to clarify what people are asking for in this thread: It is a BLANK 3/4 inch wide 5U high POWDER COATED end cap with mounting holes. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks!
Pretty sure no MOTM/Stooge was powder coated... I recall two-step industrial baked Polene (type of paint? epoxy kind of thing?).

The Grove guy spelled out the process in another thread (or earlier in this one?), as did paults in the past.

I think bridechamber at least started with that (I was AWOL during that era)... synthcube has some items that are a different, likely powder coated finish.

I'd have to look, but I got a MOTM single-width VCO (390?) from them that is noticeably different up close than my other two or any of my few dozen other other original MOTM/Stooge panels.

I did get two MOTM format Analog(ue?) Metropolis modules (excellent Arp Odyssey Mk I and Emu Resonant filters) from synthcube that may have similar less original-looking finishes.
Shark, jumped.

eskimo99
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eskimo99 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 am

Better make that 14 pair for me

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:29 pm

The finish can be whatever everyone wants. Original MOTM panels used a type of paint, not powder coat. This run can be paint, powder, or anodized. Makes no difference to me. My fabricator does it all. It seemed the consensus was to make them match the original MOTM panels, so I was gonna get a quote for that. The difference in price between the different finishes is negligible.

My goal is to get them to $15 a pair.

The measurements I have are 5U tall (8.75") by .75" wide.

I will get a quote for pieces this size with oval mounting holes and black textured paint, a la MOTM panels. We can then go from there.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Dr Gris wrote:I'm in for at least 3 pairs. Not much but...

//M
Quoting myself here...

I'll commit to 4 pairs. Still not much but...

//Magnus

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Ok, here is the situation:

The MOTM style paint is actually quite a bit more than a black powder coat. Don't ask me why, since it isn't nearly as hard and doesn't last as long.

SOOOOO

Since I figure most people don't care (I know some do, and I'm sorry) and I can't imagine those that don't are willing to pay significantly more for that finish, I'm going to go with the black powder coat. They will look like the screen shot JLR posted, basically, with oval mounting holes, .125"/3mm thickness.

$16/pair + $6.65 Priority shipping in the USA for any amount or pairs. If you are overseas, i will look up the flat rate Priority shipping for your country, but last time I checked it was around $30 for most places.

I'm sorry, I know that's more than we all hoped, but it's just the parts costs, logistics and effort, etc. Shipping is what it is and I prefer to use Priority for the free shipping materials, speed, and tracking ability. Makes it much easier for me as I can print all the labels and not have to go to the post office.

Still waiting to hear on lead time, but my guess is 4-6 weeks.

Once I get final confirmation on that, I will make a list from this thread with your user name and quantity requested and we can get that list revised and then I'll begin taking orders.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

ppkstat
Common Wiggler

Post by ppkstat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 pm

For this price I am in for 6 pairs.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:03 pm

I received my extremely expensive and foolish FPE experiment today. (some times I should just stay off the internet!) :roll::msnsmack: :hihi: Of course I was a hair off on my measurements too :ripbanana: but I'll correct the files I posted in a little while.

Below are some comparison pictures of the FPE powder coat end cap I ordered and an 'original' MOTM end cap. (I'm not sure of the source of the original, I "think" it might be a BrideChamber one but could also from Synth Tech?) Please note that in these pictures I tried to maximize the visible differences for reference and in normal use and at a distance I believe the differences would be barely very noticeable. Regardless I KNOW powder coated end caps will make your MOTM racks look 100% better than not having any end caps at all! :tu:

And Tony, you've probably already considered this but since Krisp1 sells MOTM rails you might see how many end caps he might want to stock?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Even though my measurements weren't perfect my test sample worked fine when directly replaced with an existing original in one of my cases. Below is another quick comparison picture and I wasn't trying to hide or make obvious the differences. I'm providing these pictures so people will have an idea of what to expect with powder coated end caps.

Return to “5U Format Modules”