Power distribution - updated

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Thaknar
Common Wiggler

Post by Thaknar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 am

I'm planing to build a 5U system myself and had huge problems with the power stuff... then I read this thread and everything is clear now!

I love this forum :mrgreen:
big thanks to everyone!

green onion
Common Wiggler

Post by green onion » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 am

JohnLRice wrote::doh: Sorry, poor reading comprehension on my part!

Yeah, who knows, the original owner may have marked the 950 at those points for a different reason? :hmm:

Just remember the when you are looking at a power header on a MOTM board with the locking tab at the top, the far right pin is always +15, the next two to the left are both ground, the 4th pin from the right is -15. The 5th pin is another gound and the last pin, #6 at the far left hand side is +5.

Is this very same thread, check out the previous page (page 4) and see the nice diagram sonicwarrior posted. :tu:
No prob! I had read the whole thread on this prior to posting, incl. sonicwarrior's diagram. But as the original owner added the markings on the distro boards to make it easier for me :hmm: I got confused, and started wondering if.... I'm glad I double checked.

Thanks for your help!

forceman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by forceman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 am

Great info here--thanks!

This joint rocks.
Steve Force -- Detroit, Michigan

-----------> My links <--------------
My IT professional site
My musical gear Blog

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 pm

What would be the cheapest way to power just a single, or maybe 2 MOTM modules?

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:43 am

Infrablue wrote:What would be the cheapest way to power just a single, or maybe 2 MOTM modules?
If you already have a Eurorack system, see if Paul will make the module(s) you like in that format.
If you had a Dotcom supply you could just buy a MOTM distro board.
Otherwise, you might be looking at custom work. Boothnavy made some nice mini-cases that hold one or two modules. Mecanikill makes some inexpensive PSUs too?
Any other options? :despair:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 am

Ockeghem wrote:Mecanikill makes some inexpensive PSUs too?
Any other options? :despair:
Mecanikill also offers custom MOTM harnesses for plugging into pre-existing dotcom setups. I believe you can purchase harnesses with just a few, 10/20, or 20/20 plugs in a QDH20 modified for MOTM use.

Additionally, Suit and Tie Guy (aka STG) sells a distribution board that might work, as does Grove Audio (you can actually buy a power supply attached to the distro board through Grove). With Grove, if you ask, one might be able to get a custom one done that is a combination of dotcom and MOTM connectors.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58 am

The Blacet PSU? I would've said Oakley Compact PSU, but that's discontinued now. Anyway, both PSUs have/had a built-in distro strip for 7 modules and 500ma. Perfect!
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 am

Great info, guys.

I think eventually I want to get a MOTM VC LFO... looks just amazing and fast and so well controlled.

bwhittington is helping me out with a power supply and very nice and smart with it all. Probably for now I'll get it powering just one MOTM I have on the way soon, and then have Paul do a eurorack version of the MOTM VC LFO when I’m ready to buy… eventually.

The one MOTM I’m getting soon is the MOTM-850 modified into Breath Controller (comes with Yamaha BC3) from Rafe127. I play a Steiner EVI prototype and also like breath controlling keyboards and other synths and looks like I finally found a module that will interface a BC controller and retain it’s analog resolution (like the Yamaha CS-01 does SO well). But just need the one Power source for one module I guess now.

Thanks so much for the info everyone…

DigDub
Common Wiggler

Post by DigDub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks, sandyb, for this post, helped me a lot!
:hail: :eurorack:

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:34 pm

bwhittington... I haven't been able to get a hold of you... If you would still like to sell me the MOTM power supply for my MOTM-850, even without modification, I'd be happy to do it... thanks!

Volt Hugger
Learning to Wiggle

Looking for a MOTM 900 or equivalent

Post by Volt Hugger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi All,
Long time lurker first time poster. I'm just at the beginning of my 5U modular odyssey and am putting together the initial pieces. I see that Bridechamber sells the MOTM break out boards like the MOTM-960. Does anyone still sell kits for the MOTM-900 power supplies, or do most folks DIY something with a Power One core? Thanks for any info you can share. I have been very impressed by the helpful info and mellow vibe of this forum.

Cheers,

VH

Volt Hugger
Learning to Wiggle

Another power idea for MOTM

Post by Volt Hugger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Another idea, if MOTM-900 power units are not currently available, is it accurate that the Blacet PS505 Low Noise Power Supply

ie. the one on this page: http://www.blacet.com/misc.html

would pretty much be a plug and play unit for a MOTM system?
Seems like the plugs, the +/-15V and the mA are all the same as MOTM (although it can't run quite as many modules)

sandyb

Re: Another power idea for MOTM

Post by sandyb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Volt Hugger wrote:Another idea, if MOTM-900 power units are not currently available, is it accurate that the Blacet PS505 Low Noise Power Supply

ie. the one on this page: http://www.blacet.com/misc.html

would pretty much be a plug and play unit for a MOTM system?
Seems like the plugs, the +/-15V and the mA are all the same as MOTM (although it can't run quite as many modules)
yes - the blacet ps505 would work fine with a motm system.
you could also diy as you suggest in your prior post or perhaps look into the synthesizer.com supplies too. they'll work fine with motm if you connect them to a motm distribution board.

Volt Hugger
Learning to Wiggle

Synthesizers.com power

Post by Volt Hugger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the Synthesizers.com power unit idea. I was thinking they used different plugs (6 hole instead of 4) but the volts are the same coming out of the supply. Plus, I like all the power interface module options they have.

Cheers,

VH

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I just bought sempervirent's MOTM950. I only have 2x 6pin MOTM modules at this stage and 8x 4pin, but the 950 distro board has 4x4pin and 6x6pin.

So....from reading thought this thread I can plug a 4pin cable directly into a 6pin header (making sure that I have the correct voltages/grounds lined up)?

Please confirm?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:I just bought sempervirent's MOTM950. I only have 2x 6pin MOTM modules at this stage and 8x 4pin, but the 950 distro board has 4x4pin and 6x6pin.

So....from reading thought this thread I can plug a 4pin cable directly into a 6pin header (making sure that I have the correct voltages/grounds lined up)?

Please confirm?

Confirmed! :tu:

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:43 am

I think COTK uses a different key on their modules versus their bus boards:

Bus boards (key to the left):

Modules (key to the right):

Can someone confirm that? I would have to update my power scheme graphic then.

I think I just connected my Bode Shifter the wrong way because I'm not using COTK bus boards and have never seen different keys at the same manufacturer. Should have made my own cables. :mad:
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 am

OK, I can confirm it myself: Desoldered the keyed connectors for COTK on my bus boards and put them in the other way around and the Bode Shifter works now. Fortunately for me it has a reverse protection.

I have adapted my power connector graphic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:40 pm

lots of great information here, doing my first steps(head), would be lost without this thread, big thanks to all the contributors!

HiFi Yeah
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HiFi Yeah » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Dudes, this thread is helpful but still a bit confussed; what is the best route when running a significant amount of MOTM modules from a mostly DOTCOM system?

The rig I'm building will be [14U x 2 rows of DOTCOM] and [17U x1 of MOTM]. Plus the MOTM row needs some 5v for one unit.

MOTM950 power supply --> MOTM995 distribution board --> but this can only power 3 DOTCOM and 6 MOTM units?

MOTM950 --> MOTM990 board --> screw DOTCOM power harness into screw terminals?

First modular so trying to visualize how this all works...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 pm

HiFi Yeah wrote:what is the best route when running a significant amount of MOTM modules from a mostly DOTCOM system?
Is it all in one case and using one big power supply? I'd just go with DotCom supplies and harnesses and either:

a) attach a MOTM distro board to the main connection point of your harness and use MOTM power cables

or

b) skip the MOTM distro and power cables all together and just use the harness for ALL modules and replace the smaller DotCom MTA 0.100 connectors with the larger MOTM MTA 0.156 connectors as needed. See this thread for some related info: viewtopic.php?t=16488

HiFi Yeah
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HiFi Yeah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 am

JohnLRice wrote:Is it all in one case and using one big power supply? I'd just go with DotCom supplies and harnesses and either:

a) attach a MOTM distro board to the main connection point of your harness and use MOTM power cables
Okay, here's what I think we are talking about:

1) DOT Q137 Power Control Module (mounted on rear of case)
2) DOT QPS1 Power Supply (powers 44-66 spaces)
3) DOT DC Power Harness (20 cables to the DOT modules)
4) MOTM 990 Power Distribution Board*
5) MOTM Cables (6 cables from the board to the MOTM modules)

* MOTM board plugs "into" the Cable Harness. Provides 6 4-pin connectors to normal MOTM modules, plus a 6-pin connector for a MOTM-650. Since my starting MOTM setup is exactly 6 regular modules I'm fine, but once I add more modules seems like I'm out of connectors? Then I add a second MOTM 990 board?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04 am

HiFi Yeah wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:Is it all in one case and using one big power supply? I'd just go with DotCom supplies and harnesses and either:

Okay, here's what I think we are talking about:

1) DOT Q137 Power Control Module (mounted on rear of case)
2) DOT QPS1 Power Supply (powers 44-66 spaces)
3) DOT DC Power Harness (20 cables to the DOT modules)
4) MOTM 990 Power Distribution Board*
5) MOTM Cables (6 cables from the board to the MOTM modules)

* MOTM board plugs "into" the Cable Harness. Provides 6 4-pin connectors to normal MOTM modules, plus a 6-pin connector for a MOTM-650. Since my starting MOTM setup is exactly 6 regular modules I'm fine, but once I add more modules seems like I'm out of connectors? Then I add a second MOTM 990 board?
You can plug the 4-pin MTA 0.156 cables into the the 6-pin MTA 0.156 headers just fine. You just need to make sure you do it correctly! :tu: To tired to go into details . . . . :ripbanana:

HiFi Yeah
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HiFi Yeah » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Fantastic, think I've got power issues sorted out then. This stuff truly is rocket science...

entresolmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by entresolmusic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am

Hello,

I wanted to add some Motm to my Portable cabinet.

would this be the best way?

- MOTM-995 .COM Adapter Board (Do I just mount it somewhere in the back of the cbinet?)

plus the cables

- MOTM PWR-20 ( is this one per module?)

From experience you guys find the Motm modules to be too long most of the time for a portable cabinet? or just some of them are longer.

I plan on getting the full it from bridechaber and build: the LAdder Filter, a Threller filter( this is Dotcom), and something else.

Maybe add some other MOTM later.

Thanks
Edi

Return to “5U Format Modules”