Power distribution - updated

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Klangzaun
Common Wiggler

Post by Klangzaun » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 am

So far I haven't received an answer from CotK, therefore I ask here. (I posted in a separate thread already and was guided to this thread. In case: sorry for double posting)

I want to put 2 synthesizers.com modules (15V) into my club of the knobs expansion case. A precision power adapter is installed and if I see it right, there are to connectors which can deliver 15V. Has anybody experience with this? Do I just have to set the jumpers 1 pin down and connect the modules?

Please see this picture as reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/usyv7swugy7a8 ... .jpeg?dl=0

Seems too easy on the first view... :hmm:

checkyarthur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by checkyarthur » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 am

Hello everyone. I have what is probably a simple/stupid question about powering more than 12 modules from a MOTM-900 power supply module.

I am in the process of expanding my MOTM system from 10 to 18 modules (all standard 4-pin) and will soon run out of outputs from the MOTM-900 board, which only has 12 outputs! So, I need advice on how to get (at least) an extra six outputs. I know that distro boards can be “chained” to the first board, but am unsure what this exactly means. Does this mean I can simply connect one of the outputs on the first board to another via a 4-pin to 4-pin MTA cable?

Also, I have noticed that MOTM distro boards are hard to find these days. Can I connect the board in my MOTM-900 power supply to another distro board with MOTM connectors (e.g. an Oakley Dizzy) in this way?

Anyway, I am a bit of an amateur with power stuff so I apologise! Any help would be very much appreciated.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:12 pm

checkyarthur wrote:Hello everyone. I have what is probably a simple/stupid question about powering more than 12 modules from a MOTM-900 power supply module.

I am in the process of expanding my MOTM system from 10 to 18 modules (all standard 4-pin) and will soon run out of outputs from the MOTM-900 board, which only has 12 outputs! So, I need advice on how to get (at least) an extra six outputs. I know that distro boards can be “chained” to the first board, but am unsure what this exactly means. Does this mean I can simply connect one of the outputs on the first board to another via a 4-pin to 4-pin MTA cable?

Also, I have noticed that MOTM distro boards are hard to find these days. Can I connect the board in my MOTM-900 power supply to another distro board with MOTM connectors (e.g. an Oakley Dizzy) in this way?

Anyway, I am a bit of an amateur with power stuff so I apologise! Any help would be very much appreciated.
Hi, welcome to Muff's! :party:

First make sure that the MOTM-900 can deliver enough current for all of the additional modules you want to connect. Don't exceed 800 mA or better yet stay under 700 mA since you might encounter "in-rush lock up" if you are at or near 800 mA. (when first powered on a system might demand a little more current then it does when operating normally because capacitors need to charge etc) An easy way to get a rough idea of how much current your system will need is to start a free ModularGrid account and visually build your system:
https://www.modulargrid.net/

You could chain the distribution boards together with a short power cable but I think it would be better to connect both distribution boards to the same point at the output of the power supply, maybe using a terminal block of some sort?

Also SynthCube sells the original MOTM-900 distribution board but they are currently out of stock:
https://synthcube.com/cart/makers/synth ... -populated

checkyarthur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by checkyarthur » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks a lot for that long response John. And the warm welcome to the forum. Much appreciated!
First of all I think my current will be fine. A little over 400mA in total. So that should be okay.
As for the second distro board, I think I will follow your advice and create a second set of outs from the MOTM (Power One) power supply terminals to send to an Oakley Dizzy (I am not so sure if I will find another MOTM distro board any time soon).
I will look into using a terminal block between the power supply and the distro boards but may just make a second series of direct connections to the Power One terminals as per a post from Tony Allgood in response to similar question. I assume this is okay from a grounding point of view.
Anyhow, thanks again. I think I have some direction now. I am always extra careful where power is concerned!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I was looking around and saw terminal blocks with quick connect tabs. I've never used them but I thought they might make it easy to connect bus boards together that have quick connect tabs on them, especially for people who can't or don't want to solder?

A UK company:
http://www.metway.co.uk/connect-product ... crew-type/

A USA company:
https://www.marathonsp.com/411-gp-singl ... blocks.php

xnor
Common Wiggler

Post by xnor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm wondering, for those of you that have your power supply outside of the box that your synth is in, what kind of connector and wire do you use to get power between your supply and your synth?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 pm

xnor wrote:I'm wondering, for those of you that have your power supply outside of the box that your synth is in, what kind of connector and wire do you use to get power between your supply and your synth?
How far away is the power supply going to sit and how much amperage do you need to handle?

xnor
Common Wiggler

Post by xnor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
xnor wrote:I'm wondering, for those of you that have your power supply outside of the box that your synth is in, what kind of connector and wire do you use to get power between your supply and your synth?
How far away is the power supply going to sit and how much amperage do you need to handle?
I have a supply that is +/- 15V @ 1.5A.. ideally my cable would be a couple of feet long..

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:50 pm

xnor wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I have a supply that is +/- 15V @ 1.5A.. ideally my cable would be a couple of feet long..
At a minimum I'd suggest running a cable with at least 4 conductors with the heaviest gauge that is practical, 4 conductors so you can use 2 of them for the zero volt rail.

What is the brand and model of your power supply? If it has "sense" terminals it would likely be a good idea to utilize them which will mean you'll need an additional 4 conductors so 8 conductors total. Or you could run separate cables for different lines? a 4 conductor cable for the sense lines, a 2 conductors for the +-15v rails and a very heavy single conductor for the 0v rails? :hmm:

I haven't done any of this myself as all my supplies are mounted inside my cases with the modules, I'm just loosely repeating stuff I've read. For instance here's a thread with a lot of discussion, in particular this post by Graham Hinton where he suggests using DINSE connectors for just the 0v rail:
viewtopic.php?p=2843744#2843744

Currently Muff's search function is broken so it's harder to find information but you can use a Google site search like the below suggestion (you can't click on it here as you need the whole line so copy and paste into a browser etc):
site: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/ [REPLACE THIS WITH KEYWORD(s)]
Example
site: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/ external power supply

Here's a thread you might find some relavant info in:
viewtopic.php?t=44183

For individual external wires (like for zero volt connections) I really like the silicone sheathed stuff like Acer Racing sells. You can get it as large as 8 gauge:
https://www.acerracing.com/ball_bearing ... 51-75.html
Super Flexible 1650 Strands of copper wire. Available in lengths from 10 to 100 meters. Super low electrical resistance for a highly efficient connection including use as hookup wire or test lead wire. We also have the following super flexible wire sizes 10 AWG, 12 AWG, 14 AWG, 16 AWG or 18 AWG wire. [/quote]

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Most current version of the pin out chart I have. (still needs some updates though . . .)

SMS303
Tha BABELFISH Wiggler...

Post by SMS303 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Situation:

The cabinet I have is 56U plus 20 Frac spaces. The current MU modules (see photo) are connected to a standard Dotcom power supply for a 22 space system. The empty holes in the MU section will be filled in the future with DIY modules (4x TH4046 VCO, TH LFO, TH Mankato VCF, EMS VCF, JH Freq. Shifter, 5 Pulse Waveshaper, Triple Wavefolder, CGS Wavemultiplier, CGS Master Clock Divider, CGS DUSG and some others i forget for now).

I do not know the consumption of the DIY modules. That is why I also want to be ample in the amperage. With ample overkill I can still sell the current Dotcom power supply.
The Blacet modules are not yet provided with a power supply. Power Consumption of the Blacet modules: 451 mA +15V | 335 mA -15V according to ModularGrid.

I want to connect the MU DIY and Blacet modular to 1 heavy duty 3A power supply. For this I use 2 MOTM power busboards with 28 connections each. To go from 4 pins to 6 pins I will use the Cable hack of JohnLRice.

Question:
Does anyone have experience with a SLD-15-3030-15T Power supply?

Can the SLD-15-3030-15T power supply also be used for modulars?
If this not works, which other power supply for 3A or 3.5A (if affordable) do you recommend?

EDIT*** see replies in the DIY section

* with thanks to Google translate .....
------------> Jaime Murray does Capua.... ------------------------------------------>

Macro/micro
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Power distribution - updated

Post by Macro/micro » Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi All,

I've got an issue which I believe is related to power consumption, but I'm still trying to troubleshoot and determine the issue. Would love any ideas/advice if the following rings any bells:

I have a FSFX Klee sequencer, housed in a synthesizers.com QCM8 (https://synthesizers.com/moogstylecabinets.html) powered by a QPS6 (https://synthesizers.com/qps6.html) power supply. The Klee can output anywhere from 1 to 16 stages of CV simultaneously (each stage called a "Load"), and the more Loads engaged the higher the power draw.

I've noticed that as I add more Loads to a given step, the frequency of the oscillator it's connected to starts a weird modulation (almost like audio-rate AM) and increases in severity as you add more Loads. But when I connect this Klee (in the QCM8 case) to another QCM8 case full of utility modules (both connected to the same QPS6 power supply with a y-cable) the Oscillator being driven by the Klee will start this weird modulation even with 1 Load as soon as the knob is turned anywhere above 0.

This leads me to believe that there's some sort of power draw issue that happening (since the more things are plugged in, the earlier and more drastic the error occurs). Also, as the LEDs indicating the active Loads flicker more and more as you increase the amount of Loads, also suggesting it's not getting a proper power draw.

However, when I asked Jason at FSFX how much power the Klee consumes when maxed out, it only sucks 250mA on +15, 30mA on -15 and does not take any +5V. But according to synths.com, the QPS6 can handle 700mA on + and - 15V and 2500mA on +5 (although the actual supply says 2300mA on +15 -- it's a Protek Power, model PMP60-32). That seems to discount the lack-of-power theory, even though the behavior suggest it...

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!

Return to “5U Format Modules”