Power distribution - updated

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

thermionicjunky wrote:Though the Modcan distribution board is wired in that order, ground is routed to the far left, -15 to the middle, +15 to the right.
Now correct?

Edit: For an updated version see:
viewtopic.php?p=1117436#1117436
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sonicwarrior on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

scarymcclary
Common Wiggler

Post by scarymcclary » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:10 pm

ok, may be a dumb question but going to ask anyway. i'm thinking of getting the 960 board for expanding beyond dotcom. i get you need to take off the 6 pin connector from the dotcom harness and wire it to one of the blocks. i see 2 blocks there so would i have to eliminate 2 dotcom connectors to wire this up? does this question make sense? haha. :despair:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 pm

scarymcclary wrote:ok, may be a dumb question but going to ask anyway. i'm thinking of getting the 960 board for expanding beyond dotcom. i get you need to take off the 6 pin connector from the dotcom harness and wire it to one of the blocks. i see 2 blocks there so would i have to eliminate 2 dotcom connectors to wire this up? does this question make sense? haha. :despair:
The second terminal block is just for adding another board to the first one, or some other device etc. :tu:

Did you notice the MOTM 995 board? It has a few DotCom connectors on it and supports 5v so you just plug in one of your connectors from your DotCom system and you are good to go for several MOTM modules :yay:

scarymcclary
Common Wiggler

Post by scarymcclary » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 pm

right on. the plan is (which is always subject to change), is to have an MOTM cab, but wanted to know about other options for what i already have due to being impatient sometimes :razz:

scarymcclary
Common Wiggler

Post by scarymcclary » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:26 pm

i did notice the 995 board. a lot of the modules i would like to get don't need the +5. you never know tho.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:04 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:Though the Modcan distribution board is wired in that order, ground is routed to the far left, -15 to the middle, +15 to the right.
Now correct?
The 3 pin Modcan matches my notes. FYI there are usually numbers embossed on those connectors. The way you have it there with the tab at the top they'd be 3, 2, 1 from left to right.
(Sounds)--> :eek:

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:13 am

sonicwarrior wrote:
Now correct?
One small, but possibly significant issue, the size or pitch of some of the connectors.

The MOTM (and possibly the Modcan) modules all use a .15" pitch connector, whereas all the other connectors are 0.1" pitch. This may also help to differentiate the MOTM +5V and the Dotcom connectors, as they physically can't be accidentally plugged in to the alternate connector.

Another small suggestion. I know this is the 5U forum, but the COTK connection is very similar to the Doepfer that our Euro Module user friends use (This uses a 16 pin connector with an extra row to the right of the +12V to provide +5V) that it seem churlish to exclude it from this excellent summary.

Regards

Magman

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 am

scarymcclary wrote:i did notice the 995 board. a lot of the modules i would like to get don't need the +5. you never know tho.
You can plug 4-pin cables into the 6 pin positions, you just need to make sure you get them lined up correctly! :eurosmoke:

scarymcclary
Common Wiggler

Post by scarymcclary » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:16 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
scarymcclary wrote:i did notice the 995 board. a lot of the modules i would like to get don't need the +5. you never know tho.
You can plug 4-pin cables into the 6 pin positions, you just need to make sure you get them lined up correctly! :eurosmoke:
right on. thank you very much for your help :yay:

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 pm

And when a few Krisp1:s modules join the dotcom modular family, how does that work?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Putte wrote:And when a few Krisp1:s modules join the dotcom modular family, how does that work?
from having a quick look at his website, the krisp1 mu modules have dotcom style 6 pin mta100 headers so they'd just plug straight in to a dotcom power harness. or attach to a suitable distribution board like the stg one.

AK/DK
Common Wiggler

Post by AK/DK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi There,
This is my first proper post here - nice to meet you all! I've been an avid (but passive) reader of this excellent forum for a little while - so many informed minds in one place!

I'm embarking on my first DIY 5U mission (having tinkered with electronics for a few years). It seems that most DIY boards come in the MOTM format so I'm gonna use that for the power, but I got two questions;

1) It looks like the Distro boards on synthtech.com have been discontinued (can't see them in the order page) so STG's universal distro board seems the next best option - am I right?

2) Power Supplies - The Power One ones which people seem to favour are hard to get in the UK - anyone recommend any sources/alternatives? Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the Intl shipping on a US one. This seems a good alternative - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linear-Power- ... 0641915423 ?

Thanks!

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:23 pm

AK/DK wrote:
1) It looks like the Distro boards on synthtech.com have been discontinued (can't see them in the order page) so STG's universal distro board seems the next best option - am I right?
They are now available from Bridechamber:

http://www.bridechamber.com/Power_Supply_Parts.html

AK/DK
Common Wiggler

Post by AK/DK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks thermionicjunky - I completely missed those! :roll:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:59 pm

AK/DK wrote: 2) Power Supplies - The Power One ones which people seem to favour are hard to get in the UK - anyone recommend any sources/alternatives? Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the Intl shipping on a US one. This seems a good alternative - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linear-Power- ... 0641915423 ?
Welcome AK/DK! :party:

Besides Power-One http://www.power-one.com/power-solution ... ies#tabs-2

look around for the following brands:

Condor http://www.slpower.com/products/linear/

International http://www.internationalpower.com/

Sola http://www.solahevidutysales.com/silver ... inears.htm

Tip: when searching Ebay for power supplies, especially Power-One, just search for the first part of the model number you want (leave out power-one completely) like this for instantnce: HCBB* (instead of the full name like this: HCBB-75W-AG) because people spell things a bit differently and models change slightly etc. Doing just the first part usually give you a lot more hits to sort through.

Best of luck!

AK/DK
Common Wiggler

Post by AK/DK » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 am

Tip: when searching Ebay for power supplies, especially Power-One, just search for the first part of the model number you want (leave out power-one completely) like this for instantnce: HCBB* (instead of the full name like this: HCBB-75W-AG) because people spell things a bit differently and models change slightly etc. Doing just the first part usually give you a lot more hits to sort through.
Excellent advice - I'll have a look out for those manufacturers...
Thanks! :tu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:
Now correct?
sonicwarrior and everyone: is it OK if I add this handy chart to the MOTM Yahoo group's images? Thanks!

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:23 pm

It's OK for me.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Does anyone know where I can get the adapter socket they use on the Dotcom cable harness? I want to unsolder some of the cables off off the mess of 20 and 40 wires hanging around in the back and attach them into the molex plug they use. Can anyone here point me in the direction of the plug I need where the harness attaches to the power supply? Thanks in advance.
V

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:It's OK for me.
thank yo kind sir! :hail:

doktorfuture
Learning to Wiggle

Post by doktorfuture » Fri May 18, 2012 5:20 pm

I bought one from accopian in the USA. A gold box, 8A, linear supply. Looks really well built.

List of 15V supplies:
http://www.acopian.com/power-supply-vol ... ?search=15

The one I got:
http://www.acopian.com/store/productdetail.aspx?q=i373

They had it to me in about 3 days. It's a lot longer than I expected, so don't go by the picture. The length of these supplies seems to vary by the current.

Mine is powering about 150 modules.

green onion
Common Wiggler

MOTM-950 + 990 questions

Post by green onion » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I just received a used MOTM-950 Power Supply together with a 990 distribution board.

The previous owner used a black felt marker to point out which two pins to avoid when using the headers with, NON 5V., 4-pin modules. As I have only 2 modules needing the 5V., I certainly want to use some of the 6 pin-headers for my regular 4-pin (non 5V.) modules.

Now it looks like the seller has made a mistake marking things :( From what I've understood the x markings on the 990 board are correct (being the pins for 5V.). If that's so, then he put the - markings on the board that's mounted on the MOTM-950 on the wrong side (!) Surely these should be on the left side also...?

Just want to make absolutely sure I'm not wrong myself here before I connect my precious modules :razz:

Also: when plugging the 2 modules that need 5V. into the distribution board attached to the power supply, I presume I could just use a cable with a 4-pin header on both ends (instead of 6 pin headers like in the image attached) to go from power supply to the distri board? (As extra precaution, so that I won't even route the 5V. to the distri board at all)

Thanks in advance for your help! 8_)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnLRice

Re: MOTM-950 + 990 questions

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:39 pm

green onion wrote:Now it looks like the seller has made a mistake marking things :( From what I've understood the x markings on the 990 board are correct (being the pins for 5V.). If that's so, then he put the - markings on the board that's mounted on the MOTM-950 on the wrong side (!) Surely these should be on the left side also...?
Hi,

Are you talking about the factory screened markings on the printed circuit board? Yes, they are correct and confusing! Take a close look at how they are marked on both sides of the PCB by the screw terminals. When the terminals are facing you, the +15 is always on the left, on one side near the edge of the PCB and on the other side near the center! :hmm: so the orientation of the input terminals is flipped! :eek: This has confused me in the past and I actually popped the caps once by hooking things up backwards! :nuke: :omg:

green onion wrote:Also: when plugging the 2 modules that need 5V. into the distribution board attached to the power supply, I presume I could just use a cable with a 4-pin header on both ends (instead of 6 pin headers like in the image attached) to go from power supply to the distri board? (As extra precaution, so that I won't even route the 5V. to the distri board at all)

You could do that, it would work but I would personally still route the +5V to the extra distro board so months or years later if you or someone else happens to plug a module that needs 5v into the extra distro they won't be confused as to why it doesn't work. :tu:

One trick some people do it to buy some 2 pin MTA 0.156 female connectors and stick them over the 5 volt pins. that way there is no chance of mis-connecting a 4 pin connector (at least you wont give it 5 volts etc)

Best of luck! 8_)

green onion
Common Wiggler

Re: MOTM-950 + 990 questions

Post by green onion » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't actually referring to the factory screened markings, but to the markings in black that the previous owner added with felt marker. The position of the X markings on the 990 distro board differs from the position of the - markings of the 950 distro board. My thought is the black markings on the 950 board are incorrect and should be under the left two pins?
JohnLRice wrote:
Hi,

Are you talking about the factory screened markings on the printed circuit board? Yes, they are correct and confusing! Take a close look at how they are marked on both sides of the PCB by the screw terminals. When the terminals are facing you, the +15 is always on the left, on one side near the edge of the PCB and on the other side near the center! :hmm: so the orientation of the input terminals is flipped! :eek: This has confused me in the past and I actually popped the caps once by hooking things up backwards! :nuke: :omg:

Best of luck! 8_)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:08 am

:doh: Sorry, poor reading comprehension on my part!

Yeah, who knows, the original owner may have marked the 950 at those points for a different reason? :hmm:

Just remember the when you are looking at a power header on a MOTM board with the locking tab at the top, the far right pin is always +15, the next two to the left are both ground, the 4th pin from the right is -15. The 5th pin is another gound and the last pin, #6 at the far left hand side is +5.

Is this very same thread, check out the previous page (page 4) and see the nice diagram sonicwarrior posted. :tu:

Return to “5U Format Modules”