5U LFOs with potential for BPM sync?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 pm

josaka wrote:you need the sidecar for sync mode..?
No. The sync mode works with the time suite. You’ll need at least the Time Buffer and the rear cable hookup.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:03 pm

thanks.. that why mine does naught.. :)

Jsharpphoto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jsharpphoto » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 am

The WaveRunner LFO from Frequency Central can sync to an external clock source.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:06 pm

So I have decided to go the DIY route with the FCUK waverunner. I will report more once I get them built!

I still don't think they are my perfect solution...but neither is buying 2 more PRO 2 synths just for the LFOs!! Although...more sequencer channels....
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Re: 5U LFOs with potential for BPM sync?

Post by daveholiday » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:47 pm

It has taken me a bit of time to get the first of my 3 Waverunner kits built but here is my review:

So as well all know by this thread, I have a chubby for BPM synced LFOs....even more so now that I have the lovely offerings from Dove Audio! So the main thing I was concerned with was how accurate and how slow this particular LFO would be. So in a head to head test with the digital LFOs of the PRO 2 how did the waverunner stack up?

My first indication of the accuracy of the waverunner came when I was ordering parts off the BOM. 20MHz crystal.....umm, okay, guess that is the timing device.....probably don't need to worry about accuracy. It will "clock up" quick within a couple pulses, and it will change tempo accurately if you get the timing right between intervals. In other words, you can get it to change measure by measure by placing the clock gates/triggers properly. When I tested it against the Pro 2 at all the intervals it was capable of...I just followed the BPM given without any inconsistencies....but then again this is an LFO we are not talking a 2 millisecond latency issue!! It is just as quick and as tight as the digital LFOs of the PRO 2....given the proper clock signal.

How slow will it go........

I am not going to do the math...because for me this is about BPM and intervals. The Waverunner will clock down to a 2 measure reset at 72 BPM. Anything below that, the internals seem to default back to the pulse before the /5 divider. So for those that think in terms of BPM and measures...this is an LFO that will do a 2 bar reset.

I'm trigger happy

Clocks just fine from gates or triggers.....clocked it from the Pro 2, MC-505 via Encore Expressionist...where I tested the changing tempos. It just seems to work.

There is a built in divider/multiplier which seems to work well....just feed the clock you need and it can make some "limited" adjustment

There are multiple waves and a wave distortion parameter that I haven't even explored yet, so there may be more!

Kudos to Rick making this happen for 5U....and keeping the DIY crew like myself from another mortgage!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Return to “5U Format Modules”