The "Show Us Your Filters" Thread

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 pm

trentpmcd wrote:So there is still a hole up there in my filter section. Most likely an STG, but haven't decided between Sea Devils and Post Lawsuit.
I'd recommend going with the Sea Devils! :tu: :sb: The Post Lawsuit is also great but I think you already have that sort of sound covered where the Sea Devils should sound noticeably different from what you already have. :spin:

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
trentpmcd wrote:So there is still a hole up there in my filter section. Most likely an STG, but haven't decided between Sea Devils and Post Lawsuit.
I'd recommend going with the Sea Devils! :tu: :sb: The Post Lawsuit is also great but I think you already have that sort of sound covered where the Sea Devils should sound noticeably different from what you already have. :spin:
That is pretty much what I was thinking, but since I haven't broken down and bought a K-Arp yet, I was looking for "that Arp sound" on my modular... But then, there is always "that Synthi sound" too ;)

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:53 pm

reshaped..
Last edited by josaka on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Been meaning to post this for a while:

It's a Cynthia Steiner filter in Modcan-A format, converted to 1/4" jacks. One of the things I like about this one is that it has the all pass input, which a lot of Steiner filters don't.
[/img]
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm

those Euro synthasystem filters sound great..

[video][/video]

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:26 am

Here's a picture from moving day ! A dotcom svf, stg soundlabs Mankato and a post lawsuit lowpass filter, and a fsfx lpg. Image

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

Nice! I've always wanted to check out a Mankato
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am

Resurrected due to filter interest...

Since this thread started I added the Oakley HVM filter. Like the Yusynth Fixed Filter Bank the one is more for elegant shaping rather than CV sweeping. A very nice filter indeed.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 pm

few new filters on the horizon..
no demos for any of them yet..

there is a new 5u jupiter 6 filter..
baal have a new one based on the cat 3050
and electrosmith have a 2044 ..
frequency central have a roland 100M clone out too..

amazingly there are zero demos of any of these to date(jupiter 6 is not finished tbf).. no idea how they expect to sell stuff on photos/info alone..
JLR said he was doing an electrosmith VCF/VCO at some point..

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Here are my two HPF's and also the filter coupler, which I built using the schematics in the service manual. 8-)

My R.A.Moog system & System 15 reissue only had the 904-A so I built one HPF's for each of those systems. The coupler is 'floating' and can be used with either system. All the extra front panel sockets are for connections normally made with the rear connector for when the module is fixed inside the cabinet.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Here are the last two filters I built:

First, a fixed filter bank with built in white-noise source normalled to the inputs for wind effects. I basically got bored one weekend, so decided to throw this together. It's very nice.
Image Image

Then, there is this monstrosity: It's a Polaris with 32 different filter modes in 4x8 format, morphable with the faders and also with voltage control. It involves 13 PCBs and is more than 10 inches deep. Read all about it on my thread "Something New from Doc Sketchy"
Image Image
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Image Image
Holy shit! That's crazy!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am

What FAC said! :tu:

That module is freakin' nuts Doc.

Could you please make the link to the thread in which you created this monstrosity hot?

It's one hell of a feat of engineering. Trouble is it might not fit in my Box 11 :hihi:
Rich

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Post by XXXEsq » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 am

Moog 907A
Moog 904A
Moog 904B
Moog 991
DotCom Q150 (repaneled)
DotCom Q107A/Q162
Corsynth C110
STG Mankato
STG Post-Lawsuit
STG Sea Devils
DotCom Q127/Q140
Moog IIP, Dot.Com 110, Moog One 16V, MiniMoog, Cubase 10.5/64, Ableton Live 10.1.2/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Then, there is this monstrosity: It's a Polaris with 32 different filter modes in 4x8 format, morphable with the faders and also with voltage control. It involves 13 PCBs and is more than 10 inches deep. Read all about it on my thread "Something New from Doc Sketchy"
Wait a minute. I missed that. Wha... just wait. I don't get it. Why would want to limit your zeners?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 pm

[quote="bwhittington"]My filter selection is pretty humble/repetitive. I have 4 Dotcom Q107's, 2 with filter mixers, a Yusynth Minimoog filter (thanks again, DR), a newly arrived Q150, and a STG Sea Devils filter. The Moon modulation banks keep things fun--particularly love it with the SDF--and the Q107's are often patched together, for stereo effects, processing in series or parallel, homemade variable width notch filters, a sort of VC bandpass filter bank, etc. The lonely Q107 is saving a place for the forthcoming Moon 517. Whenever that is released, the Q107 can rejoin his brothers on their row. Oh, I guess the Cynthia and Megaohm LPG's and my Zerosum Intertia Destructor Beams should be listed as well, but they were off in their own little corners at photo time.

So THAT'S where my 590FM's went !?!?!?! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :hyper: :tu:
"Trust No One, Question Everything..."

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:04 pm

There are seven in my system, at the moment. In buying order:
-.com Q150 (With pole switch)
-.com Q107
-krisp1 Croglin filter
-krisp1 Journeyman
-STG Sea devils filter
-Corsynth OTA Lowpass filter mkII
-Lower West side Discrete ladder filter

Held the Q150 high for a long time, and I still think it deserves a lot of credit, but the LWS Discrete ladder filter is the one I´m most fond of. Before I got it, I loved the idea of having three inputs, and not having to use a mixer to put three oscillators through it. Then it arrived, and I couldn´t tell apart from my model D. So, my favourite gives me the sound I already had before.
The separate input controls for frequency and resonance in the Q107 is something very useful for me too. That´s kind of how I got the Corsynth OTA too, but I just can´t get in agreement with its frequeny. The filter seems wide open when turned above 1,5-2. I have to admit, though, the sound is of its own kind.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Thalassa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Thalassa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:28 am

Putte wrote:I got the Corsynth OTA too, but I just can´t get in agreement with its frequeny. The filter seems wide open when turned above 1,5-2. I
Hi Putte , the maximum cut off frequency is calibrated to be a bit higher than 22 Khz. This way the high harmonics of square and saw waves can pass the filter without been affected. It's true that if you feed the filter with a for example 400 HZ saw wave , from 7 to 10 on the cuttof knob you will almost hear no difference.
The maximum cut off frequency can be lowered a couple of octaves using a trimmer on the back of the module. It's a really easy procedure. Please send me a private message or an email with the model that you have ( C101, C101 MKII or C101B ) and I will explain you how to do it.

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 am

I started out with a Corsynth C101mk II,

I then added a Grove GMS-294a 904a style filter.

The rest are Krisp1 built Oakleys:
A diode super ladder
SVF
And two Journeyman filters
Insert pithy statement here

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Thalassa, thanks, I´ll do that. It´s not so much of a problem, as an odd thing I´ve noticed. Most filters have that, but it shows somewhere around 5-7.

Thalassa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Thalassa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:44 pm

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Now I'm thinking if I understand you correctly.
When you said 1,5-2 I was thinking about clock position ( 7 on the frequency dial. )

With your new reply I'm thinking if you have something connected to the Envelope input. This input is calibrated to have a 0.6 volt / octave response. If the level is set to maximum a normal 5V envelope will open the filter totally when the frequency knob at 1,5-2.

If this is the case there is also a jumper in the back to change the response to 1V/octave.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm

sduck wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Then, there is this monstrosity: It's a Polaris with 32 different filter modes in 4x8 format, morphable with the faders and also with voltage control. It involves 13 PCBs and is more than 10 inches deep. Read all about it on my thread "Something New from Doc Sketchy"
Wait a minute. I missed that. Wha... just wait. I don't get it. Why would want to limit your zeners?
The Intellijel Polaris (and Dr. Octature and Atlantis filter) have grounded back-to-back zeners on the filter feedback loop to limit the amplitude and ensure high-quality sine waves from the filter outputs during self-oscillation.

I realized that these were also clipping the filter outputs under certain conditions, especially when the resonance was relatively high, so I decided to put a switch on the panel to disengage them as desired. In fact, it makes almost no difference, because I engineered the gain through the filter in such a way that it really doesn't clip even when the input signal is pretty hot and the resonance is cranked pretty high. It was basically a waste of time.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, but I'm just so damn glad to see people sharing photos and opinions about their fantastic 5U filters instead of discussing why or why not our chosen, beloved format is somehow more or less relevant these days.....!

Below are some crappy photos of some excellent filters.

Yep, that's two Fixed Filter Banks (long story......) and the 4075 has become my go-to favorite filter over the years. LOVE this thing! Matrix is at it's best for me when paired with Scanner module.

These three are off in the far corner of the set-up as I don't use them as much (although obviously I like them enough to have kept them).

Phil at MegaOhm expertly converted a Harvestman Euro format Polivoks filter into MOTM format (and even added a Phase switch!). It's nasty, it's beautiful in it's own way and I adore it.

The 440 was my first MOTM filter and I was totally blown away by the creamy yet transparent beauty of everything I sent through it. Is the 510 really a filter or something else entirely? I dunno, but what a fucking beast!

Haven't used this one in awhile and need to return to it as I remember liking the sound a lot. In the middle of moving things around so hopefully soon.

Although it's got one or two scratchy pots on it, I'm not sure it hurts the sounds too much on the Double Wasp! Have gotten some surprisingly earthy non-synthetic sounding audio out of this thing. No complaints. Sorry that the photo is sideways here, but it's correct on my end and the Muff site wouldn't allow me to fix it.

Out of camera range is also an MOTM480 CS Filter and I think there may be one or two more in the closet waiting to be reset once I figure out getting a new case. More than enough filters for now to keep me busy. Much as I want to support current manufacturers with new releases, I don't really have any more room in the studio and am pretty well covered already between all of these filters.

Scooter McCrae

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm

MOTM-440
2x OAKLEY JOURNEYMAN
KORGASMATRON II DUAL FILTER
MEGAOHM DELTA
MEGAOHM Cds
2x Q150 Re-Panels
CORSYNTH C101B
2x MOON 517B
WASP DUAL FILTER
STROH DOWNLOW CASCADING 4 POLE
STEINER SYNTHACON

quite a few on the trial list. very frustrating you have to buy these things to figure out if they are for you or not..

Return to “5U Format Modules”