New Moon 543 CP Output Mixer Module

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Dilibob wrote:From the documentation I can’t figure out how the 543e works, the returns and sends just don’t make sense to my brain. Are the “send” mixed sends, even then the return/send seems confusing. Also I can’t figure out how multiple 543e work together. Is the 543e available, and has someone played with it? I btw would really like something with sends, but I’m not so convinced on “mixed” sends. Would be great to have a little video on using the 543e, some things my brain just doesn’t get it when I read it, I need to see how it’s working.
Sounds like you are looking for individual channel inserts, rather than an effects send, so that each channel can have a different effect? It's normal for a send to be a 'submix' of all channels being sent to that same send bus, so each channel has a knob to set the level of that channel going to the FX bus, but they all go to the same mixed 'send' output and all go to the same effects device.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 pm

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Quick follow up - numerous people have suggested being too close to the power supply might be a cause, so I will try to look at that next.

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Dave Peck wrote: Sounds like you are looking for individual channel inserts, rather than an effects send, so that each channel can have a different effect? It's normal for a send to be a 'submix' of all channels being sent to that same send bus, so each channel has a knob to set the level of that channel going to the FX bus, but they all go to the same mixed 'send' output and all go to the same effects device.
Yep, I have a bunch of my processing inside protools so I often have the sends recorded so I can do things like reverb in the box. Another thing is I’m a heavy native instruments user, so would be real nice for me to do fx sends going into reaktor then back to the mixer (basically all granular stuff is done ITB while “traditional” synths are done in 5u). I’ve been debating getting a analog console but was attempting to see if I could get 90% there with something like the a couple of 943’s with extenders and such.
JohnLRice wrote:Image
That makes a little more sense to me. I’d really like to see exactly how people are doing 5u mixing. I had given up doing this a long time ago and moved to sampling, but would like to move back to committing to the mix more.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 pm

BTG wrote:Quick follow up - numerous people have suggested being too close to the power supply might be a cause, so I will try to look at that next.
This seems to have been the issue. I moved the module to a new Box-11 case where the power supply is outside the enclosure and fairly far from the module. The previous case (dotcom angled-11 w/ QPS power) had power much closer.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 pm

BTG wrote:
BTG wrote:Quick follow up - numerous people have suggested being too close to the power supply might be a cause, so I will try to look at that next.
This seems to have been the issue. I moved the module to a new Box-11 case where the power supply is outside the enclosure and fairly far from the module. The previous case (dotcom angled-11 w/ QPS power) had power much closer.
Thanks for the update! :tu:

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Need a little help with Moon Output Expander 543E connection to 543.
- Does this look correct (Output of 543E into 543) ?
Thanks
Larry

Image[/img]

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm

ualslosar wrote:Need a little help with Moon Output Expander 543E connection to 543.
- Does this look correct (Output of 543E into 543) ?
Thanks
Larry
Hi,
I've never owned those modules so I can't be much help. It says in the 543E PDF that:
"Two or more of these modules can be connected to the mixer modules to have more effects paths.
So . . . I'm thinking that if there is an INPUT connector on the 543E that it would connect to the 543 and then additional 543E modules would be chained to the first 543E via the OUTPUT connector? I'm totally guessing and assuming things here . . . :hmm: :despair:

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I think you are right, John. Seems to make better sense that way.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:51 am

I still can't get my expander to work. Cable looks right, but nothing is going out the FX output at all. If I move the ribbon to 'Output' it clearly doesn't work, so I think the ribbon cable is connected properly. Are there jumpers that have to be changed?

Moon's docs could use some work...

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:29 pm

i just recently got my 543cp / 543 cp expander....it all works pretty much as expected,

few things i noted, the send is mono but the returns are stereo, so if you're using a mono effect, you may need to mult the output to both left/right.

don't confuse the CV jacks for audio jacks, I was doing that at first, obviously that didnt work too well, haha.

You should be able to send any of the 4 mixer outputs to the "send" jack via the 4 knobs on the expander. Confirm that works first. Don't even try to play with the returns until you can confirm that.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:06 am

Glitches, hitches, and bitches aside, that thing is MAJOR LEAGUE eye candy.

:drunkhomer: .... sprinkles ....

It's got my brain elves scrambling in a group engineering design and development session. I have a few of those Manhattan Analog CP3 clone PCBs kicking around in my parts box. Those operate at 15v with a bit of grooming. It wouldn't be much of a stretch beyond the modifications I've already done with the Dot Com Q113 8ch mixer to emulate that Moon goody, using a pair of those CP3 boards (one per bus). Feedback loops ... pfft ... piece o' cake. Switchable even.

Designing that would be the easy part .... the tough part is where would I put it? I'm gots no mo 5MU space left. Perhaps making up a totally discrete cabinet (maybe even with it's own PSU/Distribution system) for just this mixer ensemble.

... thinking ... thinking ...

:hmm:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:04 pm

The full height one with the vu meters is so damn sexy. It took a lot to skip out on those for the half height version but it's still super cool even without. i needed the space, heh.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:13 pm

I feel your pain Xero

but we must enjoy our youth and the ability to sit on the floor for extended periods of time while we still have it

ariyo
Learning to Wiggle

Moon 543 full panel headphone output

Post by ariyo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 am

Hi everyone, I just got my 543 (full module) and I'm noticing something I wasn't expecting and I want to make sure it is by design and not a problem with the module. basically when the "phones level" is turned all the way down (set to 0) I can still hear the audio coming through into my headphone. This is true for both headphone jacks as well as all 4 audio channels. Anyone else has noticed this behavior?

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Moon 543 full panel headphone output

Post by Qwave » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:13 am

ariyo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 am
... basically when the "phones level" is turned all the way down (set to 0) I can still hear the audio coming through into my headphone. ...
Same here. But not a real problem to me.
--
keep on turning these knobs

Till Kopper

ariyo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Moon 543 full panel headphone output

Post by ariyo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:45 am

Qwave wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:13 am
Same here. But not a real problem to me.
Thanks for confirming. That is an interesting behavior. I will contact Gert when I get a chance to see if that's by design.

Return to “5U Format Modules”