New 5U studio case

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am

Sliding nuts.

..... Yep, I'm still bangin' that drum.

Sliding nuts like euro Vector rails ... cures all of these issues. The interchangeable rails are a so-so compromise, since it makes the user have one OR the other. Sliding nuts allows the user to have one AND the other.

Sliding nuts. Someone was going to send me dealer info for a type of Vector-like rail that works with 6-32 screws/sliding nuts ... but it never happened. By ~dealer info~ I mean information regarding becoming a U.S. dealer.

Here's what 14/17 space cabs look like... my synth cab is two "Amherst" cabs stitched together (one on top of the other) with a 1.5" space in between (just cuz). It's 9 inches deep by 32 inches wide, and somehow, it came out to be nearly exactly the same height as a 12U rack cab (I just got stupid lucky when I added the 1.5" space between the two cabinets). Anyhow, this is a real life view of what a 14/17 space cab looks like ....

SLIDING NUTS

sliding nuts

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Sliding nuts have one problem - MU and MOTM use different mounting distances, so you'd have to have a small amount of play within the rail in order for the nuts to accomodate such.

This isn't a problem for wood cases, assuming you have enough thickness to the mounts, because you can just change where you drill.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 am

whitewulfe wrote:Sliding nuts have one problem - MU and MOTM use different mounting distances, so you'd have to have a small amount of play within the rail in order for the nuts to accomodate such.

This isn't a problem for wood cases, assuming you have enough thickness to the mounts, because you can just change where you drill.
Seems you're correct, I've clearly overlooked that issue. How much of a difference is there between the two standards?
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
whitewulfe wrote:Sliding nuts have one problem - MU and MOTM use different mounting distances, so you'd have to have a small amount of play within the rail in order for the nuts to accomodate such.

Seems you're correct, I've clearly overlooked that issue. How much of a difference is there between the two standards?
There is some related info in this thread, even a proposal for a system of X Y sliding nuts:
viewtopic.php?t=6598

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 am

JohnLRice wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

There is some related info in this thread, even a proposal for a system of X Y sliding nuts:
viewtopic.php?t=6598
AH! Ya musta smelt wuht I was thinkin' uhv! (when I asked about the mounting hole differences).

:lol: :lol:

(thanks John).

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:56 pm

cool that this has been bumped up... just in time.

We are 90% done with the engineering of this case. Here is a drawing of the 2 row slanted bottom cab and the single row vertical top cab. You can see both rails with panels in them. We have done our best to reuse panels in both cabs where it will work, ie the tops and backs. You can obviously stack them as seen, but also stack just the vertical cabs to build a system more slowly. There will be some kind of mechanical attachment between cabs.

As for the sliding nuts, the rails heights are different, but I think there is mention of that. I know the reversible rails are not a perfect solution, but it is better than redrilling wood. They are stainless steel and threaded and will use a supplied universal thumbscrew of easy interchanging of modules.

There is indeed a raised front edge to help with deeper modules on the bottom row as well as give some space for a KB in front.

There will be threaded standoffs on the back panels for our power bus PCBS. We will have them available in 6 pin dotcom, 4 pin MOTM and 3 pin Modcan, mix and match as you please.

Getting close to making the prototype just need to finalize the location and types of hardware, PEM nuts, bolts, etc.

boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 am

they seem really nice
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:40 am

boothnavy wrote:.... We are 90% done with the engineering of this case. .... Getting close to making the prototype just need to finalize the location and types of hardware, PEM nuts, bolts, etc.

PEM nuts you say? AH! Right. Good choice.

Stainless steel mounting rails, aluminum construction, and flat pack design t'boot!

HOOT
man!

How many limbs will this cost, or can the first born son be worked into a trade? (that comment is testimony to what I see as it's value, not snark).

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks nice, but exactly how tall is that vertical 'lip' across the bottom of the slant cabinet? Because when you account for the thickness of the wood on the 'floor' of the cabinet, it looks like it still may not be tall enough to prevent many types of deep modules from crashing into the floor of the cabinet when installed in the bottom row.

If the slant angle is the same as a Dotcom slant cabinet, and the thickness of the floor material is the same, a 6" deep module needs at least 2.5" of vertical clearance at the front edge to prevent the back corner of the module from hitting the floor of the cabinet. (note - this is 'worst case', a module where the perpendicular PCB is not only deep but is also about as tall as the module's front panel).
Last edited by Dave Peck on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am

Dave Peck wrote:Looks nice, but exactly how tall is that vertical 'lip' across the bottom of the slant cabinet? Because when you account for the thickness of the wood on the 'floor' of the cabinet, it looks like it may still may not be tall enough to prevent may types of deep modules from crashing into the floor of the cabinet when installed in the bottom row.
Hi Dave,

The bottom is .060 aluminum, same thickness as an MU panel, so the rise in the front is between 1-2". Not sure exactly as we had to adjust it several times to get the back panels to all be identical. From memory the top depth is 6" and the bottom 12", so you could probably figure out the rough angle of slant from that, or I could ask my fabricator...
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Ah of course, I forgot the bottom was metal. Those dims will probably fit everything except the one or two very worst cases like an original Moog 960 (but 'clone' 960s that don't have the large rear metal brackets will fit fine) and a DIY Tau Pipe phaser with a perpendicular PCB (super-deep board).

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 pm

This looks like incredible potential particularly if you can color match the ever elusive minty green buttery yellow surgical off white

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 am

Any news on these? I’m very interested.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 pm

tehfizzle wrote:Any news on these? I’m very interested.
Yes the prototype is being fabricated now. This it to test fit everything and make sure we adjusted enough for the powder coat, etc.

It's on the floor now. They tell me a couple weeks... I am a good customer, but small potatoes for them. I'm sure it will get done but only when it fits in between multi thousand piece orders.

I will post pictures here are soon as I can.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Are they going to be available with or without power?

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am

tehfizzle wrote:Are they going to be available with or without power?
As of now that plan is to have them powder coated in both black and a white that is similar to the Modcan color.

If you want one unfinished or in an alternate color, get in touch and I can accommodate you. We can do any RAL color, there is just a minimum charge for other colors.

RAL COLORS
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:19 pm

boothnavy wrote:
tehfizzle wrote:Are they going to be available with or without power?
As of now that plan is to have them powder coated in both black and a white that is similar to the Modcan color.

If you want one unfinished or in an alternate color, get in touch and I can accommodate you. We can do any RAL color, there is just a minimum charge for other colors.

RAL COLORS
:hmm: I think tehfizzle was asking about power, not powder? :mrgreen:

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm

JohnLRice wrote::hmm: I think tehfizzle was asking about power, not powder? :mrgreen:
Indeed I was, thanks John.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 am

tehfizzle wrote:
JohnLRice wrote::hmm: I think tehfizzle was asking about power, not powder? :mrgreen:
Indeed I was, thanks John.
OOOPS :roll: sorry about that.

Yes they will be available with a choice of internal bus boards: 6 pin dotcom, 4 pin MOTM, or 3 pin Modcan. There are 2 bus board mounts per row, so a total of 6 in the 3 row case. You can mix and match as you wish.

power will enter and pass through on the rear via a 6 pin DIN.

PSUs TBD
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 am

That’s awesome. I’m really looking forward to these.

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Same here! I'm really chomping at the bit to finally acquire a full set of these cases once they are finally available for sale -- looks like a lot of quality workmanship is going into their creation and my modules at home are looking forward to being housed within them.

Scooter McCrae

Stereotactixxx
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stereotactixxx » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:32 pm

These look really interesting, providing that:
1. there is room for the almost 8 inch deep Blacet Time Machine, and
2. power modules can be mounted in the back of the cabinet.

If so... :nana:

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Stereotactixxx wrote:These look really interesting, providing that:

I agree, I totally forgot how ridiculously deep the time machine is. I guess that's where they hide the noise.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Stereotactixxx wrote:These look really interesting, providing that:

The bottom of the sloped cab is 12" deep and there should be enough of a lip in front to fit the 8" deep time machine... hopefully :eek:

Our plan is to offer an external power supply solution, but folks are welcome to roll there own however they'd like.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm

boothnavy wrote: Our plan is to offer an external power supply solution, but folks are welcome to roll there own however they'd like.
Like a wall wart or...? Either way I’m really looking forward to these. I will be buying a couple for sure.

Return to “5U Format Modules”