New 5U studio case

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:01 pm

That is so awesome. Really excited to get a couple of these.

frokka
Common Wiggler

Post by frokka » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 am

If someone wants to sell their Modcan B sloped case to be replaced with this, then I'm interested in buying one.

(Located in Norway.)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm

boothnavy wrote: ... Our plan is to offer an external power supply solution, but folks are welcome to roll there own however they'd like.

.... Like a big linear power supply in an external enclosure similar to what a lot of the pro audio companies do. Keep the noise and heat away as much as possible. There will be two 6 pin DIN connectors for daisy chaining cabs together.
Here's an alternative connector to the 6 pin DIN for getting power from one cabinet to the other. They're specifically designed to carry fairly large amounts of current with little resistance across the terminations. They've been in use for that exact purpose and intention for at least seventy five years, and are very cost effective.

The 6 pin DIN maxes out at using 24ga wire (if I properly recall). These here (below) can accept up to 16ga wire.

Clipped from another thread .....
Rex Coil 7 wrote: ... These connectors are specifically made to carry pretty high levels of current at both 24vcd and 115vac. They require round holes to mount them, and use a special (very heavy duty) ~C~ clip to retain the connector in the panel/enclosure. They're available in pin counts from 4 to 11, and can be configured with the female in the enclosure with male cable ends ... or ... female cable ends and males in the enclosure ... all depending on what you would want to do. They accept 16 gauge stranded wire in each pin/socket as well.

Priced between $10.00 to $15.00 bucks per piece ... this is all high quality stuff, actual "Amphenol" brand.

So here's some links to just one vendor that sells them (one of the better priced vendors). However, know that there are numerous sources out there for this stuff. Give it a look ... worst that can happen is you won't like them, or one of our resident "EEs" will disapprove or voice disappointment in my suggestions. Make sure to take note of the deep groove in them, that groove is for the ~C~ clip thingy.

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=4M-AMPH

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=MET-CAP

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... =AMPH-BRKT

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=5M-AMPH

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=5F-AMPH

One way to go would be to obtain an NINE PIN SOCKET/PLUG set up and double up on the 0v conductor runs and voltage conductors (Two 0v, Two 15vpos, Two 15v neg, Two 5v) and use the left over one for connecting "chassis ground" between the cabs.

Alternatively, here's a SIX pin rig, that way you could run 3 conductors for the 0v rail and one pin for each of the remaining voltage rails. Or perhaps one for chassis "ground" - two for 0v - and one for each remaining voltage rail.

OR EVER WHAT!!!!! :despair: Just look. LOOK AT THEM I SAY!!!!!

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=6F-AMPH

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... no=6M-AMPH

Or set it all up however you please .... after all, it's YOUR synth. One more link, this is the Leslie parts list page ....

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/search ... earchtype=

So there we are ... just offering some inspiration in the event you're thinking of running power to another module cabinet or using an external power supply cabinet.

These connectors have been serving Hammond players for at least SIX DECADES to provide power from the Hammond to the Leslie to power the tube amp, plus the fast/slow motor sets for the upper and lower rotors, plus the mechanical relays used for fast/slow switching ... and they typically use very long cables (as long as A HUNDRED FEET ... looky here):

LINK = https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_ ... o=CBL6-100

So these connectors should be sufficient for carrying enough juice to power at least a small satellite cabinet with ... oh I don't know ... maybe 8 or 16 powered modules or so? We're talking about ... what? ... 500ma?

Beats the living HELL of out using XLR connectors, that's f'DAYUM sho!

And remember kids, to quote Big Chief on "Street Outlaws" .....

"Just because we're dumasses, don't mean you can be too ... so don't do none of this shit we do at home".

:tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

I understand the desire for higher capacity wire...

I use 22awg internally which varies in reported ratings, but the average seems to be between 3-5 amps. I think this is certainly more than enough for most systems. There are of course exceptions. YMMV pending on how many cabs you power from a single psu and that psu's current rating.

If you add up the cost of the Hammond/Leslie style components, you are adding up to $100 to the cost of your power supply interconnect. While I would never fault people who wish to do that on their own, it doesn't make sense from a manufacturer's perspective. On top of that, there is already an existing infrastructure of 6 pin DIN power connections.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:54 pm

boothnavy wrote:I understand the desire for higher capacity wire...

I use 22awg internally which varies in reported ratings, but the average seems to be between 3-5 amps. I think this is certainly more than enough for most systems. There are of course exceptions. YMMV pending on how many cabs you power from a single psu and that psu's current rating.

If you add up the cost of the Hammond/Leslie style components, you are adding up to $100 to the cost of your power supply interconnect. While I would never fault people who wish to do that on their own, it doesn't make sense from a manufacturer's perspective. On top of that, there is already an existing infrastructure of 6 pin DIN power connections.
It's not just about the current carrying capability of the wire, it's actually more about it's resistance per foot, especially important on zero volt paths. Let's not forget the terminations either.

22 gauge wire = 0.01614 ohms per foot.

16 gauge wire = 0.004016 ohms per foot.

Essentially 22 gauge wire is 4x more resistant compared with 16 gauge.

To some this makes no difference, to others it does.

I didn't say using Hammond/Leslie connectors were a viable manufacturing option. I simply pointed out that they are a viable option. As far as there being an existing infrastructure, a simple adapter cable with 6 pin DIN on end and the more robust connectors on the other end is no more difficult to make than interconnecting cables with 6 pin DIN on both ends. It may also make sense to some people to take the opportunity to upgrade the existing infrastructure to something beyond that which was designed down to cost to something designed up to spec. The termination resistances must also be taken into consideration (6 pin DIN vs Hammond/Leslie), not just the wire. Starting from power supply turrets to module connections, the entirety of the path accumulates resistance. Again, to some this matters, to others it does not.

For people willing to spend X-thousands of dollars on their precious modules, some are willing to spend a very few dollars (relatively speaking) to provide a better mousetrap when it comes to power distribution. All I am doing is providing people like that optional choices. I mean, what's a measly hundred bucks for an interconnecting cable system on a synth worth $5K?

When I post something, I try to keep in mind that the potential audience can be as large as thousands of readers over time. That said, all I'm attempting to do is expose an alternative power interconnect method to those that may feel investing a tiny percentage of the total worth of their revered (and hard built) synthesizer is a worthwhile venture. Lots of people read this stuff, I attempt to address them all. That said my connectors posting wasn't aimed at just Member *boothnavy.

Some people interested in obtaining the best cabinet available for their 5U synths (the one in this thread) may also want to use the best power distribution systems they can find to compliment such a wonderful cabinet. So that sums up my point in a single run-on sentence.

I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint those expecting one of my 1,000 word tomes and call this one finished. I also short changed my average use of parenthesis at only 4 pairs this time.

I'll try harder next time I post somewhere.

Enjoy your evening. :tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

UPDATE:

The prototype case is done! I attached a few pictures at my fabricators.

I have brought it back to my shop to double check all the fittings, fill it full of modules, and make hardware lists. Once all of that looks good, we will send it to the powder coater, hopefully Wednesday. We will then verify all the dimensions and fitting with the powder coat to make sure we still have a snug and solid fit. Once that is verified, I will be able to post pricing and info and begin taking orders.

boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Gorgeous. Wow nice work.
Weekly show: SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word

This week's episode is on noise and fixed filter bank sound design for Eraserhead and 2001, A Space Odyssey:

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 pm

You already know how excited I am for these. They look great.

noisebug
Learning to Wiggle

Post by noisebug » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

So, cool! Can't wait to see the first MOTM / MU hybrid system packed to the gills.

-B

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 am

Looking nice! :tu:

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Ohmigod, this looks fucking GREAT so far! These cannot become available soon enough for me to start throwing my money at you! I will definitely want to get the exact three tier set-up you have happening in these test photos. They look like excellent companion units to my current Modcan cases. Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting into making this happen.

Scooter McCrae

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Scooter McCrae wrote:Ohmigod, this looks fucking GREAT so far! These cannot become available soon enough for me to start throwing my money at you!
I’m 100% with you on this.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Time Machine fits in bottom row!

I think this is the deepest module I have (around 6") and it still has a couple inches clearance from the bottom corner to the bottom of the cab.

One minor adjustment to be made. The mounting holes in the rails were accidentally drilled at 4/40 not 6/32. Spacing is fine and we are going to redo the rails just to be sure before going into production, but it shouldn't slow us down any.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:02 am

Full up!

MU and MOTM/Modcan living in harmony!

boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm

WOW, that looks gorgeous when it's nice and full!

Thalassa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Thalassa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:29 am

It looks fantastic !! Good work!

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:26 am

TAAAAAAAAAAKE MUUUUUUUH MOOOOOOOONEEEEEEY!!!!!!!

Seriously, this looks bee-yuuu-tiful! I showed a photo of this to my Missus and we both had the same reaction that even without the powder coating these are very attractive. Heck, might even want to get ahold of this in silver myself if you make that an option (might as well get something the Wifey finds attractive as well!).

Thanks for making this happen. Looking forward to working out the PSU and distribution board stuff with you once the cases themselves are all locked-up and ready for production.

Scooter McCrae

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 pm

boothnavy wrote:Full up!

Looks gorgeous! But I have a question about the 5U/MOTM format modules in the middle row. Can you really fit 17 widths of 5U/MOTM in the row? It looks like the single-width module third from the left isn't installed and screwed in.

I have a mix MU/5U system in Dotcom studio cabinets with re-drilled mounting holes in the wood rails to accommodate the non-MU modules and I can confirm that six widths of 5U/MOTM will fit nicely into five widths of MU space. And you can see this in the groups of modules at the right end of the cabinet in the photo in your post and again in the middle of the cabinet.

But the overall cabinet width is missing one MU width that would allow you to do this a third time at the left end, and you can't fit five spaces of 5U/MOTM into only four widths of MU (At least I can't in my system).

Four widths of MU = slightly less than 8.5"
Five widths of 5U/MOTM = slightly more than 8.75"

How did you make this work?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
boothnavy wrote:Full up!

Looks gorgeous! But I have a question about the 5U/MOTM format modules in the middle row. Can you really fit 17 widths of 5U/MOTM in the row? It looks like the single-width module third from the left isn't installed and screwed in.

I have a mix MU/5U system in Dotcom studio cabinets with re-drilled mounting holes in the wood rails to accommodate the non-MU modules and I can confirm that six widths of 5U/MOTM will fit nicely into five widths of MU space. And you can see this in the groups of modules at the right end of the cabinet in the photo in your post and again in the middle of the cabinet.

But the overall cabinet width is missing one MU width that would allow you to do this a third time at the left end, and you can't fit five spaces of 5U/MOTM into only four widths of MU (At least I can't in my system).

Four widths of MU = slightly less than 8.5"
Five widths of 5U/MOTM = slightly more than 8.75"

How did you make this work?
:hmm:
14 MU = 14 * 2.125" = 29.75"
17 U = 17 * 1.75" = 29.75"

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
:tu:[/quote]

aaah, got it! Took me a minute. As long as you don't have to make the rows line up every five widths of MU / six widths of MOTM, it works!

tehfizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by tehfizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Want. Want so much.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

aaah, got it! Took me a minute. As long as you don't have to make the rows line up every five widths of MU / six widths of MOTM, it works!
Yeah, what JLR said...

29.75" is the golden mean.

and yeah the modules weren't screwed in because the mounting holes got tapped to the wrong size. Final versions will of course be correct.

As an update, the cabs will be back from the powdercoater next week and I will post photos of the two cabs separately, the stainless steel rails, as well as fully disassembled.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 am

this would be such a no brianer fora bigger system. looking so good. hope this happens. it should happen!!!

still wanna know about modcan color match aspect but form squirms maximal!

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Ok all, we are ready to take orders!

Here is a look at the powder coated three tier case:

As this was the prototype, I don't have a full case to show you with the white finish, but here are a couple pictures of both black and Modcan B modules in a case that is the same white finish that the studio cases will have:

I realize it isn't an match for the Modcan, but it looks great none the less.

Pricing is

$700 for the 2 row sloped cab
$400 for the single row vertical cab

This doesn't include a power supply, but does include you choice of 8 module bus boards with connectors for dotcom, MOTM, or Modcan. The 2 row case comes with four bus boards and the 1 row with two. Also included are enough thumb screws to fill a cab. You can see them in the above picture of the Modcan VCOs.

Shipping is TBD, but these will ship flat and will definitely not be $250...

We are looking at 5-6 weeks from now for delivery.

Interetsed? Send an email!
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Wow, they look awesome, boothnavy, and I'm not even in the market for cases!

Return to “5U Format Modules”