Unique/underrated module you'd never give up?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Unique/underrated module you'd never give up?

Post by TimeRaveler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm looking for some unique functionality to fill up the last 2 spots of my 44 space system and thought this would be an interesting topic...

Is there a non-standard module (I know we all NEED VCAs) you couldn't live without now that you have it, but perhaps never crossed your mind beforehand?

For me, it would be the Corsynth Dual Loopable Envelope - I use it for so many things, most recently a dual subharmonic generator. A close second is the Analog Craftsman RCD/SCM. And I've been eyeballing their Arcade joystick, but am not sure how much use I'd make of it.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Unfortunately, the two-width candidates I would pick are both difficult to get in MU but they would be the MOTM 440 LPF and the Hordijk Dual Phaser.

If you want two separate SINGLE width modules, to fill up two spaces, that would probably be the STG wave folder and a good single-width phaser like a Deep Equinox.

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm MOTM so this is going to be difficult to stay on topic

1) Oakley EFG Deluxe, mine belonged to Larry Hendry

2) MOTM 440 - best LPF out there (I've got two)

3) Depends what mood I'm in, so

a) In an electro acoustic mood - three cheap Velleman amplifiers (with 40db of gain) in a 1U module
b) Working in stereo - the Worng LRMSMSLR mid/side encoder decoder
c) any quadrature LFO or one with phase shifted outputs

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm

KOBOL VCO as good as any out there.. 2 or three even better..
DDVCO Dirty quirky electronic tones..
OHM DELTA filter ..
KRISP1 OCTA LFO
HORDIJK SYNC OSC ..

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Agreed on the C106 and Deep Equinoxe!

I like the STG - Wave Folder, but not more or less than most other MU wave folders. Mine is a fairly new aqusition so maybe I'm missing something. Right now, if I only had one choice I'd lean toward the Happy Nerding - FM Aid.

I suggest:

It's ugly, but the Synthcube - DUSG is the most useful module I know of! LWSS makes one as well minus the cycle switches. Looping can be patched still.

Hordijk - Rungler & Twin Peak Filter (difficult to find as single modules) Everything Rob makes is the best!

FSFX/MFOS - Dual VC Echo (custom built delay)

MegOhm Audio - CdS Resonant LPG. If you thought your Moogy bass lines couldn't have any more heft...I have three of these. No longer in production. I might sell one. The FSFX - LPG is a decent runner up. It's really nice as a filter, but not nearly as much low end as the CdS.

SSL - TTLFO, Two of these is fun!

Alll three STG filters and the mixer!

Krisp 1 - TZVCO. I have two and they are absolutely amazing!!!

Oakley - Looping ADSR/VCA. I intend to buy 3 more!

My Yusynth/LWSS -Panning Mixer (4MU though)

Never should have sold my Happy Nerding - FM Aid, SSL - V-Gates or Grove -PM Res. I'll prolly buy em all back again.

Dotcom - Gate Math (it got awesome once I read the manual a few times)

I don't have them yet, but the Dotcom - Mixer ++ and S&H ++ look like no brainers...

I also want the LWSS/CGS - logic module.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Krisp 1 - TZVCO. I have two and they are absolutely amazing!!!
I have two as well.. I concur.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Dave Peck wrote:Unfortunately, the two-width candidates I would pick are both difficult to get in MU but they would be the MOTM 440 LPF
Just FYI: our 5U friend alternating.bit has a 1 MU FSFX build of the MOTM 440 in the buy/sell/trade section. :tu:

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pm

or.. Pablo @ corsynth has an equally good sounding 1u OTA 4 pole cascading filter Available soon and the 2u version available now :)

(has a 24 and 6db output !)

http://corsynth.com/home/modules/c101-mkii

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 pm

... my Dot Com QKB61 5 octave keybed. Best synth keys I have ever owned. I've owned a few that felt and played as well, but didn't have MIDI merge or 61 keys.

I look at the keybed as if it were the neck on a guitar. You can put any set of pickups, any body, any controls .... but if the neck isn't right, the guitar still sucks.

Same with the keyboard of a synthesizer. Crappy keys = bad experience.

So you can slide just about any synth behind the keys, but if they aren't right it won't matter to me how good the synth itself is ... if I don't like playing it, I won't play it. No play = no sound. No sound = no synth. Everything else is replaceable.

8-)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 pm

I don’t have any wave folders so that’s a good option.

I never planned on FX inside my modular - prefer them outside - if one made good use of CV I’d go for it.

There are so many cool filters but I think I’ll stick with 2 with my limited space (Corsynth OTA and Synthcube SEM)

Lots of good ideas!!

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 pm

This one little thing I moved to the center of my system because I use it all the time -

ImageCVP & Buffered Multiple front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

Not the buffered mult so much, but the 2 CVP's can be used in so many little useful ways. Don't know if this is something that's readily available in MU, although it should be.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 am

Another vote for FM Aid. Lovely thing.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 am

lisa wrote:Another vote for FM Aid. Lovely thing.
How does the FM Aid differ from normally modulating a VCOs frequency with another VCO? Other than built in CV control, does it do anything different?

It certainly sounds good!

spinach_pizza
knobs . . . knobs . . . KNOBS!

Post by spinach_pizza » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 am

The Grove dual joystick is so so so useful, but I've found that it seems to work best in a skiff-type configuration (more horizontally oriented).

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

The Dotcom Q123 standards module. I seem to use it in about 2 out of every 3 patches. Plus uses in diagnosing malfunctioning modules.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

ranix

Post by ranix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm

TimeRaveler wrote:
How does the FM Aid differ from normally modulating a VCOs frequency with another VCO? Other than built in CV control, does it do anything different?

it does crazy stuff. As I understand it, the FM Aid has an internal representation of a sine wave and when you feed CV to the Carrier input, this CV represents the phase of the waveform. That's why one normally uses a sawtooth wave from the oscillator to control the FM Aid. Then, the Modulator input applies additional frequency shift.

One of the immediate advantages is that when you FM via an FM Aid, you do not change the base frequency of the original carrier VCO. This allows you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, like modulate a carrier with itself or build your modulator from the carrier with a clock divider or other logic module.

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm

ranix wrote:
it does crazy stuff. As I understand it, the FM Aid has an internal representation of a sine wave and when you feed CV to the Carrier input, this CV represents the phase of the waveform. That's why one normally uses a sawtooth wave from the oscillator to control the FM Aid. Then, the Modulator input applies additional frequency shift.

One of the immediate advantages is that when you FM via an FM Aid, you do not change the base frequency of the original carrier VCO. This allows you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, like modulate a carrier with itself or build your modulator from the carrier with a clock divider or other logic module.
Interesting...and the 4 outputs are somehow shaped into those waves in addition to the FM-ing? It doesn't have any internal oscillator does it - without input, nothing will come from those 4 wave outputs?

ranix

Post by ranix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 pm

TimeRaveler wrote: Interesting...and the 4 outputs are somehow shaped into those waves in addition to the FM-ing? It doesn't have any internal oscillator does it - without input, nothing will come from those 4 wave outputs?
If you use the non-sine outputs, then it translates the carrier saw into a square, triangle, etc. instead of a sine and the mod input works the same way. You can of course use multiple outputs simultaneously if you want but I don't.

It does indeed not have an internal oscillator, and no sound is produced unless there is input. However, the carrier input can be disconnected or pinned to a state (like 0V) and you can just pass a modulator through it for fun effects. You can also choose to not use a saw carrier and instead use funky-shaped carriers.

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm

cornutt wrote:The Dotcom Q123 standards module. I seem to use it in about 2 out of every 3 patches. Plus uses in diagnosing malfunctioning modules.
I use that all the time too. Another one I like is the Q118 to create a envelope or gate trigger(I never use it as an actual instrument interface). Probably my most used "boring/non-standard" module is the Q130 clipper, I just end up using that for a ton of things.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:15 pm

TimeRaveler wrote:

...another way to look at it, this thing turns any plain vanilla analog oscillator into a full-featured esoteric 'through zero' linear FM oscillator, drastically expanding the sonic possibilities of any basic analog oscillator.

eskimo99
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eskimo99 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 pm

I’d say a pair of Oakley Equinoxe’s

The stereo you can create with sending a positive envelope to one and the negative to the other...

different fm depths...
Different frequency center points...
Awesome as a pair

aj55
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aj55 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

Oakley Discontinuity.....

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 am

aj55 wrote:Oakley Discontinuity.....
Still trying to figure this module out... :hmm: :oops:

//M

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am

I really don't understand the appeal of the STG wave folder and wish someone could enlighten me the musical advantages beyond just manipulating a wave to sound more BZZZ than BUUUZZ... all I've seen is a demo video watching waveforms in a scope being split, etc... I prefer less clinical demos.

The same sort of applies with the FM AID... how is that so different from say my Oakley Ring Mod? Which, by the way, I'll add is a really cool module.

Since my modular building / expanding is finished beyond occasional swap-outs, I can easily answer the OP's question. Go to the FSFX online store. There you'll find lots of hybrid units or Eurotype converted ones for Dotcom. There's a LOT of power and flexibility behind these two that I own and use all the time (2U each though): Granular Audio Processor and Macro Digital Oscillator. Whether or not they are "underrated" I don't know.

Have fun with what you decide... I do agree that if you don't have a phaser that's pretty standard awesomeness.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am

the stg/cp3 wave folder is a big part of getting the moog sound.. which a lot of people love.. it also thickens the sound which helps you control where it sits in a mix (this has many uses) it also blends/compresses the waves together making new tones.. ..fundamentaly its drive/distortion = compression but.. its the moog sounding one ...at the end of the day you cant get the moog sound without one..

I just ordered a 3rd CP3 from SW :)

Return to “5U Format Modules”