Noob getting into 5U

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:09 am

odditymedium wrote:
mbleming wrote:
odditymedium wrote:can anyone give me a ballpark hordijk estimate?

ae we tlaking 4k euros? 5k? 10k?
A full Hordijk starter system runs 4580 euro plus shipping/duty...though you can always pick it up in person from Rob himself...I just got one after a lengthy wait and it is a really, really fun and amazing system to use.
any videos?
Here are three vids I made to farewell my Hordijk system. If you go that way I would strongly recommend to get at least a full four panel system. It also is a very good compromise regarding compactness. I had a moon sequencer in one panel space but should have taken a fourth panel instead. Soundwise I see it a bit more on the precise or clinical side compared to other 5U manufacturers.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

:waah:

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:35 am

where in the netherlands is rob hordijk based?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:51 am

odditymedium wrote:where in the netherlands is rob hordijk based?
Den Haag - also here is a nice playlist of demo vids:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAC347DE38ABA9E8D

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 pm

people who use hosa cables:
are these the ones these?

just looking for the old hosa type usable 1/4. i don't like bulky. sorry for the thread hijack, i am trying to search but i'm not good with searching here.

or are there cheaper options in this style of multicolored or maybe better options? i was going to private message mister jlr but i figured it would be helpful to have this as current community related. but then alas, hiding it in some other thread probably isn't helpful.

zoom out on lens: what cables is everybody using?

:cookiemonster:

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 am

I use the cheapest multicoloured moulded patch cables I can find - 1 and 2 foot lengths. Usually half a dozen for a tenner on eBay.

I could have sprung for Switchcraft A-gauge jacks with Klotz touring cable at £20 a pop, but the cheap ones seem to channel the old electrons just as good... (cue someone like Hinton piping up to tell me that means I'm not a 'serious' musician!)

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am

^^ were there supposed to be photos along with those questions referring to "these"?

I use mostly Dotcom ones because I like things beefy / sturdy just like my 5U.
I do have some Hosas as well, they all work fine too, just not as fun lol.

Notron fn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Notron fn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am

Okay, if we're talking cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-6-Pack- ... tkn=71O88b

$16

if you don't mind a uniform grey--

https://www.markertek.com/product/sp-sp ... -cable-3ft

buy more than 10 and they're 2.55 each. The only issue I had with these was that Markertek sent me some SP-P-3 1/4-Phono cables instead of what I ordered. But they rectified by dispatching the correct items quickly. They told me to keep the SP-P-3 cables.

BTW, also a good source for 1/4" to mini cables for interfacing Mu with Euro.

https://www.markertek.com/product/sp-m- ... -cable-6ft

Here we see the Peavey and TecNec cables in action. The Peavey cables have slightly thicker jackets than the TecNec cables.

For the thread starter:

This is my system assembled from various manufacturers into a locally sourced custom case. Since most Mu-5U manufacturers use cosmo style nobs on black panels, you have visual consistency across manufacturers.

I've got modules from Oakley/Krisp1, Corsynth, Synth-Werk, Moon, Grove, Dotcom and Frequency Central UK.

Don't be afraid to mix and match.
Last edited by Notron fn on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Insert pithy statement here

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 am

I use mainly dotcom cables, and am really enjoying their new series (thin wire). Good visibility & weight.

I have bought bulk Cables on Amazon and they have performed fine. Mostly in 6ft lengths from a company called Seismic. Made of rubber, they are pretty 'noodley' with a smooth feel and remind me of the Pittsburgh Modular Nazca Audio Noodles (eurorack cables).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAB2JU/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Last edited by Faustgeist on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:43 am

i'm going bac 4 hosa methinks. i love the thin light and multicolored nature. thank you all so much for thoughts info replies sharing!!

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:06 pm

if you are in the uk/euro.. these work.. and can order diff lengths.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Amp-C ... 1233729087

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm

dude wrote:people who use hosa cables:
are these the ones these?

just looking for the old hosa type usable 1/4. i don't like bulky. sorry for the thread hijack, i am trying to search but i'm not good with searching here.

or are there cheaper options in this style of multicolored or maybe better options? i was going to private message mister jlr but i figured it would be helpful to have this as current community related. but then alas, hiding it in some other thread probably isn't helpful.

zoom out on lens: what cables is everybody using?

:cookiemonster:
I just saw this... I have a box full of Sssnake patch cables from Thomann Music from Germany, these were recommended to me years ago by Bernie...

Very inexpensive and do the job just fine...

The "obligatory" modular cable necklace... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

5U Modular Enthusiast
Mark 11 Audio

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 am

Cables? GLS. Inexpensive, fully repairable, fully modifiable.

However ... I use Dot Com cables inside of racks ... like for connecting various rack gear to patch bays. The Dot Com cables (the regular ones, not the new skinny ones) are built well and are reliable. Inside of a densely cabled rack, I can't think of a more important place to use good cables. Who wants to chase down cable issues inside of a 16U rack that has two dozen patch cables inside of it? Y'know? So I use a lot of the 1' ~brown~ Dot Com cables inside of my racks. I have this one rack module ... it's an Alesis DEQ830 digital graphic EQ ... it has eight inputs and eight outputs all wedged into a 1U enclosure. It's patched up to a patchbay to provide access to all of the I/O jacks mo' bettah like. So sixteen of the 1' Dot Com cables to the rescue.

Back to the GLS cables, they are super flexible and really cost effective ... easily repaired to boot. Purty colors!

SYSTEM CHOICE: On that, 5U ... The End. I'm going to bang my drum on power systems though ... design/fab the power system (PSU/distribution) FIRST .... then design/fab the cabinet around the system SECOND. And for all that is good ... please (please!) use a really solid linear power supply, and consider using/buying/making a bus bar distribution system. Take into consideration the total monetary value of the entire modular synth ... is it not worth spending at least a measly 10% of the modules' total value on providing them with "good power"? So many (too many) people take the power system as an afterthought. But if you go integrating digital modules along with analog modules, as well as high falootin' tricked out control goodies your system as a whole will NEED solid power. Ok, done finger waggin' on that (at least in this thread).

HYBRIDIZING: I'm going to break ranks here and suggest using a small contingent of Euro, just for modulation/controller purposes. As I have said before, there is N.O.T.H.I.N.G. like the Make Noise MATHS in 5U ... anywhere, by anyone (I have FOUR of them within my own 5U system). There are also some really useful and FUN! real time controllers in Euro that are not available as 5U protocols. Those Soundmachine Lightstrips and Lightplane are a blast to use ... the Lightstrips record up to 9 seconds of action, and may by ~triggered~ by an incoming gate signal. So you record your modulation actions into the Lightstrip, then a gate signal may be used to "fire off" that recorded CV modulation, thereby providing clock-sync'd resets. There are also some really nice joysticks in Euro by the likes of Flight of Harmony ("Choices" stick), and Befaco (oh hell ... here it comes! .... BEEF TACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... dammit .. happens every time ... kinda like the cartoon strip about an ex-pro football player-turned-sportscaster "Tank McNamara" anytime someone yells "FUMBLE!"). ~ahem~ ... moving forward, Befaco makes some really killa envelope generators that fire off a gate at the end of each ADSR stage (how bitchin' is THAT?). There are also some really fun little sequencer toys, and a few outstandingly great digital/wavetable LFOs ... the Synthesis Technology E355 comes to mind (just bought one myself!).

So maybe a single 84HP row of Euro might be a good 5U extension to consider.

Remember ... power system first, cabinet second.

BEEF TACO!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Cables? GLS. Inexpensive, fully repairable, fully modifiable.
[...]
Back to the GLS cables, they are super flexible and really cost effective ... easily repaired to boot. Purty colors!
What are these GLS cables ?
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 pm

ericD13 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:Cables? GLS. Inexpensive, fully repairable, fully modifiable.
[...]
What are these GLS cables ?
These ...

LINK =
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Blake Smith
Common Wiggler

Post by Blake Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:30 am

Personally, I use Oakley modules for my "core" modules (VCO/VCA/ADSR/MIXER/ETC) and augment them with modules from other manufacturers that provide something outside of that range. They're excellent. Most of my stuff is MOTM, but Krisp 1 builds the Oakley modules in dotcom.

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 am

Mark11Audio wrote:I just saw this... I have a box full of Sssnake patch cables from Thomann Music from Germany, these were recommended to me years ago by Bernie...

Very inexpensive and do the job just fine...

The "obligatory" modular cable necklace... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Great pics and good choice - i use same exact cables, no complaints :nana:
Live for gear...

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote: HYBRIDIZING: I'm going to break ranks here and suggest using a small contingent of Euro, just for modulation/controller purposes. As I have said before, there is N.O.T.H.I.N.G. like the Make Noise MATHS in 5U ... anywhere, by anyone (I have FOUR of them within my own 5U system).
Y'know, I keep thinking I'm going to try my hand at building my own Maths-like module (in 5U, natch). It seems like a lot of the things it does are fairly basic analog functions. First, I need to get better at designing and fabricating circuit boards -- I've only etched a couple of very basic things so far. And something like a Maths is too involved to build on stripboard.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Noob getting into 5U

Post by electricfence » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I guess this is better than starting a new one.

I've been on my modular synth journey for a few years now, via Eurorack, and I've had the opportunity to make (and learn from) many of the standard mistakes that more experienced folks on this forum warn newcomers about. As of about a year ago, I have reached a point of relative stasis: I'm comfortable with the basics of modular synthesis, I've figured out an approach that works best for me, and I've figured out when it makes sense for me to choose a fixed-architecture synth over a modular one. Most importantly, I have (almost) no GAS for the awesome new Eurorack modules that have come out in the last year.

But I had the opportunity recently to patch one of the Moog Model 10 reissues. (They have one now at the Moog factory store in Asheville, set up for use. They've had a clone of the Keith Emerson system there for years, but it's just for display purposes.) The particular collection of features on the Model 10 isn't exactly what I would choose if I were putting together a system, and I'm not enough of a Moog aficionado to justify the price anyway, but when I was patching it, I was struck by just how awesome it felt -- from the knob spacing and the feel of the jacks, to the overall form factor. It felt great. I even went back again after a couple of weeks just to make sure that I was remembering the experience correctly, and it felt great the second time, too.

At any rate, that experience has gotten me interested in building a small, portable MU system that would complement my Eurorack, but that also could be used as a stand-alone synth. And so I have a few of questions:

First, how do you all typically interface your MU system with your sound system? Do you go straight out of a mixer or VCA and into an external mixer or audio interface? (Are the signals so hot that they need a ton of attenuation?) I have found a few modules on MG that have headphone outputs, and a few that have external line outputs, but only a few. Like I said, I'd like to keep my system self-contained, and I like being able to just plug in some headphones when I patch.

Secondly, has anyone had experience with the Free State FX powered cases? How about the Dotcom Box 11 system? Would you recommend one over the other?

Finally, is there anything specific to the MU format that you wish you had known before you started? (As I mentioned above, I have intermediate experience with modular synths in general, and I feel pretty familiar with the pitfalls of the modular synthesis and the "typical" mistakes that beginners often make.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 pm

electricfence wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

At any rate, that experience has gotten me interested in building a small, portable MU system that would complement my Eurorack, but that also could be used as a stand-alone synth. And so I have a few of questions:

First, how do you all typically interface your MU system with your sound system? Do you go straight out of a mixer or VCA and into an external mixer or audio interface? (Are the signals so hot that they need a ton of attenuation?) I have found a few modules on MG that have headphone outputs, and a few that have external line outputs, but only a few. Like I said, I'd like to keep my system self-contained, and I like being able to just plug in some headphones when I patch.

Secondly, has anyone had experience with the Free State FX powered cases? How about the Dotcom Box 11 system? Would you recommend one over the other?

Finally, is there anything specific to the MU format that you wish you had known before you started? (As I mentioned above, I have intermediate experience with modular synths in general, and I feel pretty familiar with the pitfalls of the modular synthesis and the "typical" mistakes that beginners often make.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not as experienced as a lot here, but....

Typically I go straight into my mixer. I've used a practice amp with no issues. i also often go into a minifooger delay without an issue. I have tried other guitar pedals and have to attenuate the signal or get distortion, but minifooger handles it fine.

No experience with either, but I do like dotcom cases and power. Just be sure you understand that the box-11 is shallow... If you want deeper modules and go dotcom, you might want to look at the(edit) portable cases.

To the third question, since you have Euro, I'd stick with the more "East Coast" type modules that 5U is known for. Yeah, if you need a couple of dense modules to make it complete system, that is understandable, but since you are getting into it for the feel, then "boring" East Coast is your friend ;)

eboats
Common Wiggler

Post by eboats » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:11 pm

I started out in Euro about 5 years ago and only in the last 6 months have started building out a small 5u system of about 10 modules so far (dotcom, analog craftsman, oakley etc). I was curious about 5u and was looking for that big phat Moog sound that I could play with a keyboard (I mostly used Euro without keyboard). I patch the VCA out to my mixer like I do with Euro and no problems.

My experience with 5u has been great. Really love the extra space and larger knobs, and most of all it just sounds bigger and phatter to me than my Euro setup. There is a lot more variety in Euro for sure, but the stuff I've found in 5u seems very high quality and sounds great. I keep thinking that it's just a matter of time before all the people recently drawn to Eurorack discover 5u, and that there are going to be a LOT more people flocking to 5u (or larger format in general) soon as the next big trend. I see Eurorack now as a gateway drug to 5u/large format.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm

electricfence wrote:
I use the Dotcom Q106 VCA which has a + and - output with an insert cable to send a balanced signal to my recording interface when I'm recording something important, or I just use a + output and a TS cable from a mixer module to the interface when I just want to listen to it. I always use the headphone output of the recording interface to monitor because if I send a crazy hot signal to the interface it will clip instead of destroying my headphones and/or ears. You have to be careful when using headphones with a modular.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:30 am

trentpmcd wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Typically I go straight into my mixer. I've used a practice amp with no issues. i also often go into a minifooger delay without an issue. I have tried other guitar pedals and have to attenuate the signal or get distortion, but minifooger handles it fine.

No experience with either, but I do like dotcom cases and power. Just be sure you understand that the box-11 is shallow... If you want deeper modules and go dotcom, you might want to look at the(edit) portable cases.

To the third question, since you have Euro, I'd stick with the more "East Coast" type modules that 5U is known for. Yeah, if you need a couple of dense modules to make it complete system, that is understandable, but since you are getting into it for the feel, then "boring" East Coast is your friend ;)
This is very helpful information, thanks. I'll be especially sure to double-check module depth (which of course isn't always listed on ModularGrid) if I go the Dotcom route.

The system that I've planned so far isn't exactly "East Coast," but it leans more heavily in that direction. (I'm in the mountains of North Carolina, and so while I'm technically in a coastal state, I feel pretty far from the coast. But it's sure not California, either. I guess that's the direction I'm envisioning for this case, too.)
ranix wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm

I use the Dotcom Q106 VCA which has a + and - output with an insert cable to send a balanced signal to my recording interface when I'm recording something important, or I just use a + output and a TS cable from a mixer module to the interface when I just want to listen to it. I always use the headphone output of the recording interface to monitor because if I send a crazy hot signal to the interface it will clip instead of destroying my headphones and/or ears. You have to be careful when using headphones with a modular.
Thanks for the tip on the VCA. It never occurred to me that I could get a balanced signal that way.

Thanks again to both of you!

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

eboats wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:11 pm
I started out in Euro about 5 years ago and only in the last 6 months have started building out a small 5u system of about 10 modules so far (dotcom, analog craftsman, oakley etc). I was curious about 5u and was looking for that big phat Moog sound that I could play with a keyboard (I mostly used Euro without keyboard). I patch the VCA out to my mixer like I do with Euro and no problems.

My experience with 5u has been great. Really love the extra space and larger knobs, and most of all it just sounds bigger and phatter to me than my Euro setup. There is a lot more variety in Euro for sure, but the stuff I've found in 5u seems very high quality and sounds great. I keep thinking that it's just a matter of time before all the people recently drawn to Eurorack discover 5u, and that there are going to be a LOT more people flocking to 5u (or larger format in general) soon as the next big trend. I see Eurorack now as a gateway drug to 5u/large format.
Right now, that's about the size system that I'd be looking at, although I'm waffling on whether to go with a smaller case and limit myself to that space, or get a larger case (albeit still a portable one) with room to grow. I know what advice I'd give someone else, but I'm not sure that I'm going to take it myself!

Thanks for your reply!

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:54 pm

electricfence wrote:
...how do you all typically interface your MU system with your sound system? Do you go straight out of a mixer or VCA and into an external mixer or audio interface? (Are the signals so hot that they need a ton of attenuation?) I have found a few modules on MG that have headphone outputs, and a few that have external line outputs, but only a few. Like I said, I'd like to keep my system self-contained, and I like being able to just plug in some headphones when I patch.
I connect my modular's output mixer (a Dotcom Q113 8-ch Mixer) directly to my studio's audio interface (a PreSonus 1818VSL). The 1818's inputs each have an attenuator knob and a little red clipping LED, so it was easy for me to set its input level so that the modular didn't clip the preamp. I run my studio monitors from the 1818's Main Output, so I use its Main volume knob to control the studio's volume. (I also use the 1818's Ch 7/8 output to feed my home theater system, so I can check mixes on it). If you find yourself needing a balanced signal (I never have — my synth records dead quiet on a single unbalanced cable), ranix's suggestion for using the Q108's + and – outputs and an insert cable is clever indeed. (Thanks, ranix!)
electricfence wrote:
Sorry, I have no experience with either. As was mentioned by others, pay careful attention to module depth if you go the Box 11 route.
electricfence wrote:
The one thing I wish I had known before I began my journey into 5U was how fast the damn thing would grow!!! (From 44U to 88U in 2-1/2 years.) Kidding aside, being able to accommodate growth is a strong reason for considering Dotcom Box 11 cabinets, since they can be added to and reconfigured in many ways, which can satisfy almost any kind of Frankenstein's monster your system winds-up becoming. :tu:

Return to “5U Format Modules”