WTF Oscillator

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Tun
Common Wiggler

Re: WTF Oscillator

Post by Tun » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 am

Putte wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 am
Just ordered another WTF, after receiving the first a couple of weeks ago. That´s how much I like it. Two WTF:s, is that sane?
I have 1 and would love a 2nd, so I don't think it's insane!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:17 am

Putte wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 am
Just ordered another WTF, after receiving the first a couple of weeks ago. That´s how much I like it. Two WTF:s, is that sane?
I ordered 2 right from the start, but I had played with one prior to ordering!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by Bowman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 am

I have the WTF oscillator and love it. But instead of getting two, I think I’ll go for the Waveplane Oscillator instead.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" Elvis Costello (by way of Martin Mull)

Bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by Bowman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 am

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" Elvis Costello (by way of Martin Mull)

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Bowman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 am
I have the WTF oscillator and love it. But instead of getting two, I think I’ll go for the Waveplane Oscillator instead.
I went with 2 WTF and a single Waveplane. The Waveplane can create so much "movement" in so many ways that I don't know that 2 would be that much more....at least in my setup! I am still plying with the Waveplane and getting my bearings around modulation of the beast! I highly recommend both modules to anyone who doesn't mind sticking some digital MU in their cabinet. Not only are they fun to experiment with but they are also fun to watch!!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 am

I´m getting quite close to filling my system, and won´t have the space to squeeze in a Waveplane osc. I´ll have enough doing just trying to grasp the possibilities of the WTF. I actually already redecorated my plan to make room for the second WTF.
By sane I was more referring to the effects two of these might have on the ear and sound centre inside my skull. It´ll go nuts once I patch them up to LFO:s.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 am

Putte wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 am
It´ll go nuts once I patch them up to LFO:s.
You are very correct! I am in the process of building 3 FCUK Waverunners specifically for the WTF modules! When you get a note sequence with some BPM synced LFOs in the mix, the WTF will really come alive with some very cool rhythmic sequences.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:35 am

By "alive", do you mean I might get a Frankenstein creational moment? The machinery could go autonomous, and I´ll have to pull the plug, if that even helps.
Anyway, I better put a helmet on, before I let the two of them lose.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am

Putte wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:35 am
By "alive", do you mean I might get a Frankenstein creational moment? The machinery could go autonomous, and I´ll have to pull the plug, if that even helps.
Anyway, I better put a helmet on, before I let the two of them lose.
Yup, make sure those modules screws are in the case tight! And don't leave loose patch cords close! :hihi:

And I always wear a helmet when wiggling... :eek:

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 am

i´ll try to keep it down to the one or two feet cables around these machines, and to keep a safe distance myself. There should follow a written warning when they are sent to customers. Minimum safe distance, minimum users age..... and the helmet, of coarse.

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am

damn this sounds and looks awesome!

im only motm at the moment, but it looks im going to have to jump ship at some pint soon.

i assume these will be for sale for the immediate future?

i always wanted a gorf too, fwiw :hihi:

great job.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:44 am

Paradigm X wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am
damn this sounds and looks awesome!
im only motm at the moment, but it looks im going to have to jump ship at some pint soon.
i assume these will be for sale for the immediate future?
i always wanted a gorf too, fwiw :hihi:
great job.
I could be wrong but it feels like an end of stock sale.. to move on to new things..! I'm sure Paula will clarify..

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:00 am

The WTF will still be available along side the new modules in the future! I asked before ordering one...I still ended up buying 2!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 am

I finally got to try what life with two WTF oscillators is like. I´m extatic about this machine, and having two is at least three times as fun. Normally, filters get most of the attention, but not when these two are envolved.
This day also resulted in me getting an expensive and probably the most space consuming preset module ever. i started modulating the waves of the WTF with the marvellous Grove audio Dual LFO/VCA. Then I realized there were a whole Q960/Q962 combo, without anything to do. Naturally, I patched up both outputs of row A and B to the front and rear wave inputs of the WTF, and had each stage/step control the waveforms. Sequencing this occupied me for at least two hours.
Then I unpatched the Q960 from the clock, connected its three rows to the Q962. Both outputs on the Q962 were connected to each of the front inputs of the WTF:s. From there, I could push my way through the Q960, letting each knob set a waveform on both WTF:s, ending up with a 9U waveform preset programmer! The Q962 had the three bank buttons, the Q960 24 presets. All I need now is Another Q960/Q962 combo, for a 18U preset programmer to handle the WTF:s individually.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:27 pm

That sounds like a blast!! I hadn't thought of using sequencer channels to control everything! Will try it out tonight!!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 am

I´m sorry, I led this topic into a totally different subject. That´s not my fault. I blame the WTF:s for that. Without them, I would never have come up with such a stupid idea.
Also, isn´t the unability to program these modules the charm of it all? Otherwise, we´d soon find ourselves in the end of the 70s, drowling over the preset buttons of the first Prophet 5 again. We don´t want easy, do we?

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:23 am

Putte wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 am
I´m sorry, I led this topic into a totally different subject. That´s not my fault. I blame the WTF:s for that. Without them, I would never have come up with such a stupid idea.
Also, isn´t the unability to program these modules the charm of it all? Otherwise, we´d soon find ourselves in the end of the 70s, drowling over the preset buttons of the first Prophet 5 again. We don´t want easy, do we?

No apology is necessary, as it is always good to hear how others are utilizing this module. These things are just so much fun I am rethinking my oscillator setup in my modular. BTW I have been using a Corsynth C101 mk2 with the WTF and it is a pretty good combo...also like the 2044 with it...but my ears prefer the Roland OTA!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Thought I´d contribute with a video, for a change. Seeing as I´ve mentioned the WTF:s being something out of the ordinary, there should follow a video, I think. However, this is my first attempt to publish one, and I´m not sure exactly what I´m doing. There may be a description, but nothing more.
Anyway, this is the second time I hang out with my two new best friends, the WTF:s. There´s an eight step Q960 sequence from row 1 going to both, and the signal then goes to a Sea devils filter (Set to about 50% frequency, and only modulated by an EG).
Rows 2 and 3 on the Q960 goes through a Q962 (With a double shift jumper). Outputs go to each of the front inputs of the two WTF. At first in the video, all stages but one on each row is set to zero, which is why there are sawtooth wave. One knob on each row is set higher to alter the waveform one time for each sequence. After a little more than a minute, I couldn´t help turning more knobs.
This is recorded with a Sony a58. I´ve repeatedly tried to connect its microphone input/output to different outputs on my Yamaha MGP32X mixer, but it refuses to record or play via anything else than the camera speaker/microphones. Does anyone know if it is possible to connect it to a mixer?

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Putte wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Me likes! :tu:
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:12 am

Great work Putte!! :yay:

//M

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:21 am

Really nice sounds Putte.
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks, but I have to apologize for the poor video quality. If anyone knows if and how a Sony a58 can be connected to a mixer for sound, please don´t hesitate to instruct me. Recording sound from the speakers to the camera microphone annoys me, when my beloved Yamaha MGP32X should be able to provide noice free sound.

Anyway, video recording gave me 'blodad tand' ((bloody tooth) Swedish for a taste for more). So, sunday too became spent in the studio, along with the camera. I´ve realized both WTFs sweeping around the waveform is a little to much for the ears to appreciate, so I wanted to find a sollution in which they alternate. I turned out the Q130 rectifier section finally got both of its outputs in use. The beautyful Dual LFO/VCA from Grove audio provides a sinus wave to it, and the minus output goes to the width input of one WTF. The plus goes to the other. Then there was some width and Amount knob turning to make them open up an equal amount, and alternating.

A choosed cleaner front waves to start with (I call it broken triangle, or house), hopefully making rear waves stand out more. Rear waves are 'Cats ears' (left) and 'Smooth Earth quake' (right), turned on after 1:20 min. I also included a second LFO to control rear wave of the left WTF, just to complicate things a bit more. That´s the Amount turned to half past 10 after 2:20 min.

Conclusion: This is great fun. Something I could experment with for lots of hours. Musically, I think using the wave and/or width inputs for rythmic sound changes, controlled by a step sequencer, is probably the most useful thing for me.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:52 pm

Nice work Putte!

I'd suggest you try to pull the audio direct from your modular to the Yamaha mixer using a 1/4" line cable. Send the audio out from the final modular mixer or VCA to the Yamaha mixer but watch out for the higher line levels and attenuate the signal. Record it out of the Yamaha mixer if you have a recorder like a Zoom or Sony, or you can go direct to a DAW like Logic or Garageband on a Mac or Reaper on a PC with an audio interface. Of course applying it to your video is another task completely. Try using iMovie or Final Cut on an Apple device or some other video editor on a PC. You can easily sync it there. A lot of steps but worth it for a clearer rendering.

Two WTF OSC is a great source for FM sounds too. I use a WTF and Waveplane for that type of thing quite a bit. Great tools for great sounds.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm

I´ll see what I can come up with. I´m thinking it´s mostly a concern when recording filters, to show what they sound like.

Return to “5U Format Modules”