WTF Oscillator

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 am

daveholiday wrote:WELL THANK YOU PAULA......damn it....*sigh*

One would do, but now I am thinking about the possibilities of having 2. Thanks to you, I am rebuilding my case to accommodate more modules. I really am looking forward to the release.

This does bring a thought to my head.....WTF LFO with BPM sync to note structure? I love a "true" clocked digital LFO...might be worth looking into....
Thank you, I have a number of ideas going forward so keep an eye on our facebook/twitter/youtube pages :)

Paula
--
Synth designer and builder.
"Don't dream it, be it"
http://dove-audio.com

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Are these available? I want one!!

//M

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Dr Gris wrote:Are these available? I want one!!

//M
We're expecting PCBs any day, then it'll be a case of attaching the front panel, programming, testing and boxing..

Keep an eye on our kickstarter page for more details as they happen :)

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Paula,

I noticed that it's stated on the Kickstarter page that the eurorack version of the WTF requires 100ma of +5v in addition to the +-12v rails. What are the requirements for the 5U module? I noticed in a picture a friend sent who has the module and I was trying to assist with power connections that there is a standard 6 pin DotCom connector but only a 4 pin MOTM connector so there isn't a way to connect +5v in MOTM systems (at least not in the standard and expected way). So . . .

Does 5U version not require a 5V connection at all?
OR
Does the DotCom connection need a 5v connection but when using the MOTM connection there is an on-board +15v to +5v converter?
OR
:hmm: :despair:

Thanks! 8-)

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Hi Paula,
OR
Does the DotCom connection need a 5v connection but when using the MOTM connection there is an on-board +15v to +5v converter?
so, the DotCom power connector is below the MOTM power connector, when using that it needs the 5V rail.
it'll pull 100mA from the 5V rail and 30mA from both the +15 and -15 rails.

But for MOTM users (before I realised there is now a MOTM power connector with 5V, my bad) you can run it off +15V and -15V.
In this configuration it will pull about 140mA from the +15V rail and 30mA from the -15V rail.

I've also since seen MOTM to Dotcom adapters and vice versa.

I am trying to work on a user manual, but I'm also mid house move so my possessions are currently spread across 4 locations... this weekend they all should be in one place and I can resume "normal service" post Christmas.

I hope that helps

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 pm

PaulaM wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:Hi Paula,
OR
so, the DotCom power connector is below the MOTM power connector, when using that it needs the 5V rail.
it'll pull 100mA from the 5V rail and 30mA from both the +15 and -15 rails.

But for MOTM users (before I realised there is now a MOTM power connector with 5V, my bad) you can run it off +15V and -15V.
In this configuration it will pull about 140mA from the +15V rail and 30mA from the -15V rail.

I am trying to work on a user manual, but I'm also mid house move so my possessions are currently spread across 4 locations... this weekend they all should be in one place and I can resume "normal service" post Christmas.

I hope that helps

Paula
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply, Paula! :sb: 8-)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:47 pm

PaulaM wrote:But for MOTM users (before I realised there is now a MOTM power connector with 5V, my bad) you can run it off +15V and -15V.

Also just FYI, I wouldn't put to much into considering using the 6 pin MTA-156 connector to support MOTM power supplies with a 5v rail because I think very few MOTM systems have them. Synth Tech only produced 2 or 3 modules that used 5V and while it was going to be the future and many modules were proposed, before most saw the light of day Paul at Synth Tech jumped his own 5U Clipper ship in favor of the Eurorack Catamaran! :hihi:

And while I think it would be good if more manufacturers used 5v rails, there are lots of manufacturers that don't use it at all on their modules and just have on-board 5v regulators since many people only have +-15v rails (or +-12v in the case of Mos-Lab and COTK systems) anyways. It might be nice if on future builds you added a three pin jumper to select if the DotCom connector uses the 5v rail or uses the on-board converter that the MOTM connector uses so that you won't have people needing to build special adapters etc? 8-)

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:37 am

JohnLRice wrote: Also just FYI, I wouldn't put to much into considering using the 6 pin MTA-156 connector to support MOTM power supplies with a 5v rail because I think very few MOTM systems have them. Synth Tech only produced 2 or 3 modules that used 5V and while it was going to be the future and many modules were proposed, before most saw the light of day Paul at Synth Tech jumped his own 5U Clipper ship in favor of the Eurorack Catamaran! :hihi:
Most customers so far seem to only be using the dotcom style connector.

JohnLRice wrote: And while I think it would be good if more manufacturers used 5v rails, there are lots of manufacturers that don't use it at all on their modules and just have on-board 5v regulators since many people only have +-15v rails (or +-12v in the case of Mos-Lab and COTK systems) anyways. It might be nice if on future builds you added a three pin jumper to select if the DotCom connector uses the 5v rail or uses the on-board converter that the MOTM connector uses so that you won't have people needing to build special adapters etc? 8-)
the advantage of keeping the 5V separate is that quite often the 5V rail can be full of digital noise, you want to keep that away from the +15 and -15 rails as they're used for audio.

As for the jumper, there's two things to consider;
1) extra cost
2) extra confusion.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:41 am

I build my own power cables, so I'd be up for a 6-pin MOTM connector. But I realize that I'm in the minority there. I do like to keep the 5v separate, because as Paula says, a lot of modules use that for digital logic and switching.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm

FWIW I just received my WTF Oscillator last night. Only had a chance to mess with it for about 1/2 hour but it seems to deliver as advertised. :tu:

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 pm

I played with one extensively at knobcon this past year. They are very intuitive and quite good with modulation. I have been lusting after them for quite some time. Glad to know they are finally out there....wish I had saved money toward one. Many here say modular is a black hole...I have both a modular system and a vintage Porsche that I have been restoring.....

FWIW....modular is a cheaper black hole to get sucked into!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:47 pm

Ouch, I just put a new engine into my Boxster S last year... :75: :woah:

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am

cornutt wrote:Ouch, I just put a new engine into my Boxster S last year... :75: :woah:
IMS failure by chance? :eek:

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 pm

daveholiday wrote:
cornutt wrote:Ouch, I just put a new engine into my Boxster S last year... :75: :woah:
D-chunking. Engine hydro-locked. Water everywhere. :bang:

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Sorry about that diversion... how is it going? Getting close to shipping?

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:35 pm

cornutt wrote:Sorry about that diversion... how is it going? Getting close to shipping?
Umm, it's been shipping since November..

List of dealers is here - http://dove-audio.com/buy/

:)
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 am

For fun I replaced the knobs on my WTF with more traditional looking MU knobs. I likes it! 8-)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 am

FWIW I was working on straightening out some technical issues with my video setup and decided to upload a bit of test footage I shot. It's a single voice featuring the Dove WTF VCO being sequenced by the usually Moon sequencer modules. 8-)

[video][/video]

DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm

cornutt wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
Ahhh. so THIS is what I sound like to everyone else when I'm talking synths. Thanks for the example. ;)

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

DJFonzi wrote:
cornutt wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
Ahhh. so THIS is what I sound like to everyone else when I'm talking synths. Thanks for the example. ;)
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Synth talk....Car talk...

It's all geek speak to most!!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Nice video John....not very complex but a nice variety showcasing the subtle modulations and sounds......and the cows. What can say but...."I gotta have more cow----!!!

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:48 am

It is a very nice piece of equipement, the screen looks so smiith and a... liquid almost

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

Finally splurged.. the sale sealed it.. :)

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:39 pm

The WTF Oscillator came in today. It just happens to be my B’Day as well so what a nice surprise. I want to change the knobs like JLR did but only have three of the smaller knobs. It is a beautiful module. I can’t wait to weave it into the system.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm

not convinced about the power connector (.com) situation.. works fine but no clear which "way" indication and the sort of just over mid way connection.. feels a bit odd.. works fine though..

Return to “5U Format Modules”