WTF Oscillator

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 am

josaka wrote:deffo needs a filter I find.. to eliminate those high freq glassy sounds..
very good for certain things..

kindred did you push it all the way down..(the power connector :) ) ?
Yes I did push the connector all the way on. Mine didn’t have the plastic tab which provides a positive lock to the power cable female connector. Still it seems sturdy enough for a static installation.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:38 pm

[video][/video]

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I just picked up one of these direct from Dove due to the price drop. I absolutely love it, but I knew I would...I spent 45 mins with one at knobcon 2018 and was sold within the first 5 minutes.

I have a few questions about the jumper connections on the back. Is there any documentation on the module itself. I understand all the front panel stuff, but is there any "under the hood" things involving the jumpers that changes the function? If I remember right, I think one of the jumpers selects whether the wave knobs morph or switch between wave forms. Perhaps one does the same for the coarse/octave knob?
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:37 pm

So I just experimented with it.....the jumpers are as I suspected. The first turns the coarse knob into an octave switch. The next two allow the front/back wave to either switch or morph between waveforms.

The last set, which doesn't have a jumper installed is labeled "RWO" any clues as to what this might be?

Rear Wave Offset?

Random Wave Operator?

Red Weeping Orifice?

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 am

Just ordered one!

~R
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Faustgeist wrote:Just ordered one!

~R
Only one.....? Just think of what sonic bliss two would give you!

But I guess you can test that theory in a couple weeks! :hyper:

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:22 pm

daveholiday wrote:So I just experimented with it.....the jumpers are as I suspected. The first turns the coarse knob into an octave switch. The next two allow the front/back wave to either switch or morph between waveforms.

The last set, which doesn't have a jumper installed is labeled "RWO" any clues as to what this might be?

Rear Wave Offset?

Random Wave Operator?

Red Weeping Orifice?

I heard from a reliable source that RWO is a "secret" function...Rear Wave Output!! Pins need to wired up to a jack to take advantage!

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:21 pm

PaulaM wrote: I am trying to work on a user manual, but I'm also mid house move so my possessions are currently spread across 4 locations... this weekend they all should be in one place and I can resume "normal service" post Christmas.

I hope that helps

Paula
Is there a manual yet? Just purchased a new euro one, but can't find one, or even a contact address on the Dove site.
Hadn't noticed it needed +5v for euro, so didn't work at all at first, had to find an adaptor.
Any idea what range of CV voltages it responds to? Documentation on those jumpers would be nice to have as well.
It does sound fantastic! thanks!

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:24 am

thetwlo wrote: Is there a manual yet? Just purchased a new euro one, but can't find one, or even a contact address on the Dove site.
There is a panel guide which is linked on the product page of the website, direct link is -http://dove-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WTF-Panel-Overview.pdf
thetwlo wrote: Hadn't noticed it needed +5v for euro, so didn't work at all at first, had to find an adaptor.
Again, on the product page it does state what power is needed -
The Module requires 30mA from the +12V supply, 30mA from the -12V supply and 100mA from the 5V supply.
thetwlo wrote: Any idea what range of CV voltages it responds to?
Standard voltages, i.e. 10v p-p (+5 to -5v) and it's 1V/octave for the pitch.
thetwlo wrote: Documentation on those jumpers would be nice to have as well.
See the above link, they are mentioned.
thetwlo wrote: It does sound fantastic! thanks!
Thank you :)

As mentioned the RWO is a "rear wave output", so the rear waveform is output constantly there regardless of what the front wave/transform is set to.

I had intended to make a "sub module" which brought the jumpers out to switches on the panel and also the RWO output to a jack, but so few people seem to want to change the jumper options once set, it seemed somewhat pointless. and it'd be a very simple DIY project (three switches and a socket),

Best wishes
Paula
--
Synth designer and builder.
"Don't dream it, be it"
http://dove-audio.com

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:11 am

PaulaM wrote:
As mentioned the RWO is a "rear wave output", so the rear waveform is output constantly there regardless of what the front wave/transform is set to.

I had intended to make a "sub module" which brought the jumpers out to switches on the panel and also the RWO output to a jack, but so few people seem to want to change the jumper options once set, it seemed somewhat pointless. and it'd be a very simple DIY project (three switches and a socket),

Best wishes
Paula
What I have found through various experimentation with beat sync LFOs (doing the waveform modulations) is that certain sequences can take on a very different sound and feel when being switched rather than morphed. Toss in a beat synced S/H hold in at a 16th note and savor the "random" looping through the wavetables when set to switch!

I suppose if someone had 2 WTF osc, a 1U panel for extra features wouldn't be that much of a waste of space! I can only assume there are similar jumpers on the back of the Waveplane as well?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm

PaulaM wrote:
thetwlo wrote: Any idea what range of CV voltages it responds to?
Standard voltages, i.e. 10v p-p (+5 to -5v) and it's 1V/octave for the pitch.
EXCELLENT!!
Thanks Paula!
Well, nothing standard in euro sadly. About half of the modules are 0 to +5,or +8v or 10v, and half +5v to -5v, or switchable between the two.
Happy this is bi-polar, which I kinda figured out experimenting with last night.

I haven't seen the +5v on a new module in a long time, and there were no markings on the PCB for -12v so was a bit scared the cable was keyed wrong at first, as the red stripe was "up" which is uncommon, but it's euro, so no real standards. I did check the page and found the power info easily.
All of my Doepfer monster cases use the linear PSU2, so no +5v, just a minor inconvenience.

Oh, is there a screensaver mode to help prolong the life of the OLED?
Thanks!!

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Dove Audio D100 WTF into the D110 Waveplane oscillator.

[video][/video]

From the YouTube description:

I am using a D100 WTF oscillator to send FM into a D110 Waveplane oscillator. Both are MU format modules from dove-audio.com.
There are sine wave modulations to the front and back waveforms of the WTF and a sine wave to open and close the "window". An additional sine wave is used to adjust the center frequency of the WTF.
The Waveplane is using two sine wave LFO's to slowly comb around the four wave plane waveform sets. The small dot animates the plane position between the four. The waveforms of each wave table are modulated with four pulse wave LFO's. Each are hard sync reset to each other by a slower period. The slowest resets the next slowest etc.. The pulses are not all square wave so the timing is a bit more organic.
The final mix is of the Waveplane oscillator by itself, then split into two versions routed through filters and effects and mixed back behind the main signal.
The first split is to an Oakley state variable filter in band pass mode. Resonance is set but the center frequency is modulated by a slow LFO and the amplitude is as well before going to a Strymon Blue Sky pedal in plate shimmer mode.
The second split is to a synthesizers.com Q107 state variable filter in high pass mode. The resonace and center frequency are modulated by different LFO's and the amplitude as well before going through an Empress Reverb in ambient swell mode.
A final pan is applied with a Q111 Pan Fade module and a slow LFO.
The LFO's (15 total) include synthesizers.com, Mega Ohm Audio and Yusynth.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 pm

kindredlost wrote:Dove Audio D100 WTF into the D110 Waveplane oscillator.

[video]://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDK-Ay_Mh8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
very nice! and somehow nicely complements the WTF>Shimmer verb I had going on live at the the same time I viewed/listened.

Loving the WTF as a modulator it's insanely cool, as a source it seems to really shine with subtle adjustments. Gorgeous!
Having attenuators for CV (and audio) should be on all modules!
I guess that's usually the case for 5u, but euro is getting stupidly dense.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

hey Paula,
I know euro is new to you. the supplied power cable is too short for many cases.
+5v is rare, just put it on the module.
And this is an awesome module!!!

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 am

daveholiday wrote: I can only assume there are similar jumpers on the back of the Waveplane as well?
There are, though there is no second output.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:54 am

thetwlo wrote: Well, nothing standard in euro sadly. About half of the modules are 0 to +5,or +8v or 10v, and half +5v to -5v, or switchable between the two.
Happy this is bi-polar, which I kinda figured out experimenting with last night.
I'll restate that famous quote "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from".
I did what I thought would give the module the most use.
thetwlo wrote: Oh, is there a screensaver mode to help prolong the life of the OLED?
Thanks!!
It's a TFT screen, so no need for a screen saver.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 am

thetwlo wrote:hey Paula,
I know euro is new to you. the supplied power cable is too short for many cases.
I've never had anyone say the cable was short before. It should reach most power supplies.

A lot of the modules I viewed on modular grid required 5V.

I'm glad you're enjoying the module.
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 am

[quote="kindredlost"]Dove Audio D100 WTF into the D110 Waveplane oscillator.

[video][/video]

WOW!
Awesome, thanks for sharing :)
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

Notron fn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Notron fn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:21 pm

My WTF arrived on Saturday. Wonderful module.
Insert pithy statement here

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 pm

PaulaM wrote:
thetwlo wrote:hey Paula,
I've never had anyone say the cable was short before. It should reach most power supplies.

A lot of the modules I viewed on modular grid required 5V.

I'm glad you're enjoying the module.
the power cable is the shortest I've encountered in 22+ years of euro, it works with the monster case, barely, not the monster base. and would be too short for earlier cases.
Again, I know you are new to euro, what modules did you see on modulargrid that used 5v? I wouldn't trust that, I can upload a module there that uses 16volts. not sure you should base anything on mod grid. I understand the reason to keep the 5v separate--it's just very rare now,/still. just includ that with the module's documentation. My module had no info at all in it, it was sealed, no voltage requirements at all.

this is a fantastic module!!

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:33 pm

I love this thing sooo f'nnn much!
Apologies as I was critical of the info.... I was trying to be helpful, but that came off wrong.

Damn!! this thing is essential!
Thanks Paula!!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Just received mine the other day. I haven´t tried it out yet, but the demos tells me there´ll be Another one soon.
Two things striked me when I got it. It´s so thin, I first thought some parts were missing on its back. The other thing has to do with how the panel is disposed. This is one of the 'knobiest' modules I have, in relation to its size, and I´m sure glad to so that there is a in- and output section separated from the knobs. This is one module I suspect get worked a lot. Then, it´s great not to have cables all around the knobs. Great panel architecture, in other words.
Last edited by Putte on Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 am

It's really great, with a well thought out interface. And sounds amazing!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Re: WTF Oscillator

Post by Putte » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 am

So, now I´ve spent a weekend with my new WTF, and all the other oscillators are now envious of the attention this machine gets. It´s no surprise, this module is a completely different ballgame. I wonder how the envy goes as my next purchase will be a second WTF. Having two might be out of the charts, or totally useless chaos.
Anyway, I wonder if we´ll ever see one of these on the second hand market. Who´d sell a module like this?

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Re: WTF Oscillator

Post by Putte » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 am

Just ordered another WTF, after receiving the first a couple of weeks ago. That´s how much I like it. Two WTF:s, is that sane?

Return to “5U Format Modules”