My next challenge - a Poly Oakley

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

magman
Veteran Wiggler

My next challenge - a Poly Oakley

Post by magman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 pm

I’ve been collecting and building a few polyhonic synths lately, including a DX5 and a Deckards Dream. I’ve also been tempted to build a Polysynth out of modules to add to my existing MOTM system.

So after some discussions with Tony Allgood from Oakley, welcome to my Poly Oakley project.

Here’s a link to the basic layout in Modulargrid.

I raised a not insignificant order from Tony and a nice little parcel arrived in the post on Thursday.

(Photo removed as it had both my and Tony’s address, which Tony quite rightly pointed out it is not sensible to share on a public forum)

Which when you unpack everything gives a nice collection of PCB’s.

There are a few PCB’s still to come, as I took the last of Tony’s stock for some modules, and I also bought some other new toys like a couple of extra filters, the MOS Phaser, a Flanger, a Deep Equinoxe and another VRG whilst I was at it.

I am also planning to CNC cut and laser print my own front panels for all of these modules, as well as some of my existing modules which have more DIY panels, as if this project wasn’t enough of a challenge already.

I suspect this will keep me quite busy for the next few weeks, as my target is to try and get the Poly Oakley working to take with me to Synthfest 2018 in early October. I will keep you informed as it progresses

Regards

Magman
Last edited by magman on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: My next challenge - a Poly Oakley

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:06 pm

magman wrote: Image
... and here I thought I had a lot ahead of me. I'm totally humbled by the scope and scale of this undertaking. Hell, I'm exhausted just looking at all of those PCBs!!
magman wrote:... I suspect this will keep me quite busy for the next few weeks ...
That's an ambitious estimate (umm .... there's no "Mrs. Magman", is there).

Ok, I won't contact ~missing persons~ for a few months. I think we all know precisely where you'll be! But after New Years, the description under your picture on the milk carton will read "Last seen going down the steps into his basement with a box of PCB components and four cases of Red Bull, mumbling something about ~calibrations~ ...".

Ok so .... Got speed dial #1 set to pizza delivery? Stocked up on toilet paper and eye drops? Two pounds of solder?

Right! Readyyyyy .... GO! :driving:

(Joking around aside, I'm very impressed with your ambition and motivation ... it will be an EXCELLENT project, I'm sure you'll do well with it ... all of my emotional support and cheers out to you man! Killer project ... go for it!!)

:tu:

Oh wait ... some questions ... are you going to control it with a kybd? ... if so, which MIDI-CV converter have you selected? I think the Kenton Pro2000MkII may be up to it, then again there are likely stronger candidates out there.

Nice! :sb:

(subbed .... like a mofackah!) :hail:
Last edited by Rex Coil 7 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Looks like quite the project! I hope you will post some build photos.

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Six weeks - the clock is ticking

I think you should have finished one module by tomorrow morning to keep on track

Good luck though, and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh
How are you controlling it (keyboard wise) ?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:39 pm

Awesome project! :party: :sb:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 pm

magman wrote: ... welcome to my Poly Oakley project ...
... I raised a not insignificant order from Tony ...
... and I also bought some other new toys like a couple of extra filters, the MOS Phaser, a Flanger, a Deep Equinoxe and another VRG whilst I was at it ...
... I am also planning to CNC cut and laser print my own front panels for all of these modules, as well as some of my existing modules which have more DIY panels ...
... my target is to try and get the Poly Oakley working to take with me to Synthfest 2018 in early October ...
Plus power supply?

Plus power distribution?

Plus cabinet(s)?

Plus debug?
Rex Coil 7 wrote:That's an ambitious estimate ...
unrecordings wrote:Six weeks - the clock is ticking ... I think you should have finished one module by tomorrow morning to keep on track ... Good luck
I count 67 boards there, plus wiring, plus doing CNC panels and laser engraving graphics/lettering. And there are other modules to be done that are not shown here?

:wow:

I don't know man, there's only about 45 days or so until then, you're looking at 18+ hour days without a single day off. And that's if you make NO MISTAKES which would eat up progress time by requiring troubleshooting and corrections (or even total do-overs). Even if you're errorless, it's still a pretty big ~maybe~.

I'm thinkin' ~not happenin'~ Perhaps if you're set on showing it off at Synthfest 2018, maybe set your goals on completing one voice in perfect operating condition for that showing. You may then explain your intentions coupled with showing a fully working and completed voice to show you are serious.

:poke: :despair:

Then again, I'm judging you based on my own capabilities. That said, there's a solid chance I'm wrong about how good you are at all of this and you may just pull off getting the entire works done by then.

:hmm:
Rex Coil 7 wrote: ... are you going to control it with a kybd? ... if so, which MIDI-CV converter have you selected? ...
unrecordings wrote: ... How are you controlling it (keyboard wise) ?
Yea, what he said.

:cat: :minimoog:
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote: Oh wait ... some questions ... are you going to control it with a kybd? ... if so, which MIDI-CV converter have you selected? I think the Kenton Pro2000MkII may be up to it, then again there are likely stronger candidates out.
I already have a Hexinverter Midi/CV adaptor built in a 5U panel that I designed (though I do plan to make a new panel for it). This is a 4 channel unit that already works in poly mode, though I do plan to upgrade the firmware to the latest version as part of this project.
unrecordings wrote:Six weeks - the clock is ticking

I think you should have finished one module by tomorrow morning to keep on track

Good luck though, and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh
How are you controlling it (keyboard wise) ?
I already have 2 Oakley VCO’s in my current system and a VCO Controller already built.

Also, I built an S-VCO and 4 of the octave switch boards today (though I still need a few parts to complete them, some of which are on order already).

Yesterday was spent printing out build guides, updating my tracking spreadsheet and a few large orders of components (like most of the 200 or so pots this build needs), they should be with me early next week.

Should be fun though

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 pm

magman wrote: Should be fun though
Tony's pcbs have always been a pleasure to put together

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Plus power supply?

Plus power distribution?

Plus cabinet(s)?

Plus debug?

I already own a few Power One PSUs that will be fine for powering this setup, so no worries there.

There are two Dizzy’s included in the PCB order, plus one spare I already have built for power distribution.

Ideally, I would love to have some Boothnavy’s cabinets, but I suspect they may not be available in time. I have a workaround though that should suffice, I plan to adapt some of these to accept MOTM modules. Nice and portable as well with the right van.

Time is obviously very tight, so debugging will be an issue, but that is one of the reasons I went the Oakley route as I have had very few issues with the Oakley modules I have built so far and Tony is very responsive via these forums an email.

So there is some method in my madness.

Time to go and do a bit of scanning though, a useful break from the soldering.
Last edited by magman on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Magman this certainly Trumps my 10 module "pre BREXIT " build plan for this Autumn :yay:
We met at the Brighton meet if you recall.
Just a tad concerned you may have emptied the usual eu / uk sources of Oakley style knobs and Switchcraft sockets :hihi:

FYI My Schaffer quote for 10 single panels is €405 and the exchange rate offered by PayPal was £1:1.06 euro. :mad:

you would be looking at close to £2k on panels so its a no-brainer to do your own. We salute you.
rgds Pav

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Pav wrote:you would be looking at close to £2k on panels so its a no-brainer to do your own. We salute you.
I’m hoping that my panel cost will come out an order of magnitude less than this.

They may not be to precisely the same quality level, but will be CNC cut from the same Front Panel Express designs and will be using white laser printing onto black anodised aluminium, so will be quite close if things go to plan.

Regards

Magman

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Quite a project! I admire your ambition.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:57 pm

FYI My Schaffer quote for 10 single panels is €405 and the exchange rate offered by PayPal was £1:1.06 euro
use revolut and their virtual card(you get the exact actual rate and zero fees).. paypal are basically robbers if you exchange currency..

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 pm

I should slip a few PCB's into your pile.. I am sure you wouldnt notice.. :)

also using different oscillators together in each voice.. is that wise?
I would be trying to match the osc as close as possible ...

no ring mods? or noise? :)
Last edited by josaka on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 pm

magman you are amazing and can't wait to see how progress progressesss

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:31 pm

When using Paypal make sure to use the option of making the card company do the currency exchange.

//M

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 am

Dr Gris wrote:When using Paypal make sure to use the option of making the card company do the currency exchange.

//M
still a rip off..(they use the official bank rates which are terrible and have hidden fees) ..often cost just as much if not more.. only option is to avoid paypal.. :) unless you are using same currency..these mobile 'app' cards are at a minimum 5% better every time.. Revolut is rolling out in the states and is already in europe user to user payments are instant and free with no fees.

done extensive testsing and saved a fortune! ..I sent a real card to a gf in japan and she buys stuff for me direct with zero fees at the exact exchange rates.. I bought styff from Synth-werk, Mos- Lab and hordijk in the last year or so.. on bills of about 1.500€ I saved £60+ on each.. you can test the figures by going through the transactions until the end without actually paying..on both systems.

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 am

josaka wrote:
Dr Gris wrote:When using Paypal make sure to use the option of making the card company do the currency exchange.

//M
still a rip off..(they use the official bank rates which are terrible and have hidden fees) ..often cost just as much if not more.. only option is to avoid paypal.. :) unless you are using same currency..these mobile 'app' cards are at a minimum 5% better every time.. Revolut is rolling out in the states and is already in europe user to user payments are instant and free with no fees.

done extensive testsing and saved a fortune! ..I sent a real card to a gf in japan and she buys stuff for me direct with zero fees at the exact exchange rates.. I bought styff from Synth-werk, Mos- Lab and hordijk in the last year or so.. on bills of about 1.500€ I saved £60+ on each.. you can test the figures by going through the transactions until the end without actually paying..on both systems.
I hear ya, and you're correct. But my calculations so far makes card issuer exchanges cheaper than letting PayPal do it.

Good info about alternatives, they're most welcome!!
Too bad I don't have girlfriends over the world, especially now that I'm divorced.

//M

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks for the advice on PayPal ..ill look into this alternative card.
rgds Pav

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Best of luck!

:cookiemonster:

ppkstat
Common Wiggler

Post by ppkstat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 am

Consider building a mutable instruments Yarns. It's the best midi-cv converter out there and perfect for your needs. It can be a bit challenging if you've never dwelt with smd before but it's worth it. Here's mine.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:43 am

ppkstat wrote:Consider building a mutable instruments Yarns. It's the best midi-cv converter out there and perfect for your needs. It can be a bit challenging if you've never dwelt with smd before but it's worth it. Here's mine.

O-o-o-o! Me likey a lot! Love those buttons.

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 am

What's the midi out for? This doesn't do cv/gate to midi right??

//M

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:00 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve already built one of these.

It was quite an easy build, especially as it includes MOTM style power connector pads on the PCB. It needs a new panel though, as this uses a paper label at the moment.

I also plan to include my Oakley midiDAC in the setup, to give me pitchbend and a few other controls in addition to the 4 voice channels provided by the Hexinverter Midi2CV.

Regards

Magman
Last edited by magman on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Liverpool Synth Meet - it’s 11th April 2020

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:01 am

magman wrote:As I mentioned earlier, i’ve Already built one of these.

Excellent workmanship, Magman!

Return to “5U Format Modules”