Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Re: Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 pm

I didn’t say it made any kind of financial sense, I just want to see some systems to break up the meetings and open bars. :party:

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:30 pm
Competing for space and volume against Gibson, Zildjian, Fender, or DW sounds like hell on Earth.
It's not so bad. The synth manufacturers are largely together, and synths lend themselves well to headphone demos. I've gotten a lot of quality time in demoing synths at NAMM. And demoing guitars, pedals, recording gear, etc, too. :hyper: It is an amazing event, even if 5U representation does seem to be shrinking there.

I do agree, I don't think I'd spend my marketing dollars there if I was a 5U builder.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:49 pm

blw wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:52 pm
Competing for space and volume against Gibson, Zildjian, Fender, or DW sounds like hell on Earth.
It's not so bad. The synth manufacturers are largely together, and synths lend themselves well to headphone demos. I've gotten a lot of quality time in demoing synths at NAMM. And demoing guitars, pedals, recording gear, etc, too. :hyper: It is an amazing event, even if 5U representation does seem to be shrinking there.

I do agree, I don't think I'd spend my marketing dollars there if I was a 5U builder.
At Superbooth last year one 5U manufacturer (COTK? Moon? I honestly can't recall) was in their own room surrounded by busts of Yuri Gagarin and other space paraphernalia. Truly the sort of space (heh) I'd want to demo my instruments in, particularly since it wasn't shared with any other manufacturers.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:49 pm
At Superbooth last year one 5U manufacturer (COTK? Moon? I honestly can't recall) was in their own room surrounded by busts of Yuri Gagarin and other space paraphernalia. Truly the sort of space (heh) I'd want to demo my instruments in, particularly since it wasn't shared with any other manufacturers.
And they probably rented that space for less than the cost of a 10x10 NAMM booth. :hihi: But how much time did you really spend on the system? A venue than nearly requires headphone listening stations does have the benefit of letting you be in your own little bubble with the gear for a bit, which is pretty cool. I'm pretty worthless on this stuff until I get my bearings and slowly feel my way through a new system. But only a few modular exhibitors really nail giving you hands-on time with gear at NAMM. I guess I'm thinking thinking of Korg, Waldorf, Elektron, Strymon, Moog, Arturia, etc. and maybe Buchla, Kilpatrick and a few Euro brands in the modular realm.

I've never been to Superbooth. I'm sure it's quite a bit better for synths, which make up a pretty small slice of the pie at NAMM.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:38 pm

Well in my case even though I was there for all three days it was as an exhibitor, so the amount of hours spent at other people's booths was perhaps 20% of my time at best. Because the booth was fairly isolated I never saw more than a few people in the room, though admittedly I wasn't hovering there.

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:37 pm

blw wrote:

Moon and Synth-Werk almost always share that NASA themed space every year... I did a YouTube Interview with Gerhard one year... Im still hoping to go again this year... From Superbooth 2018... around 3:30 you can see both modulars setup... :yay: :tu:
Ja, Das ist Gut, Das ist Sehr Gut !!!!

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Mark11Audio wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:37 pm
blw wrote:

Moon and Synth-Werk almost always share that NASA themed space every year... I did a YouTube Interview with Gerhard one year... Im still hoping to go again this year... From Superbooth 2018... around 3:30 you can see both modulars setup... :yay: :tu:
I stand corrected if they were sharing the room with Synth-Werk. Either way, it was a great, very intimate little space and only added to the experience. I'll be there again this year; hopefully I'll pay more attention.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Mark11Audio wrote:
From Superbooth 2018... around 3:30 you can see both modulars setup... :yay: :tu:
That video cuts before the Synth-Werk interviews parts 1 and 2, where are the interviews? Thanks.

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:06 pm

synthetic wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Mark11Audio wrote:
From Superbooth 2018... around 3:30 you can see both modulars setup... :yay: :tu:
That video cuts before the Synth-Werk interviews parts 1 and 2, where are the interviews? Thanks.
Sorry, that was intentional back when I created the Vimeo video, made the interview available on YouTube... it's just one interview. :mrgreen:

Synth-Werk Interview with Gerhard :tu:
Ja, Das ist Gut, Das ist Sehr Gut !!!!

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks for posting!

BKehew
Common Wiggler

Post by BKehew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 am

Well, Thursday night after NAMM closes, there is this:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 69720a2e8f

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Noisebug had a Moog Model 10 with a Moon system in a matching portable case.

Return to “5U Format Modules”