SSL Serge USG - Coming Soon!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Quite honestly, I've been soul searching on this topic - which is why I haven't commented in a while.

And since someone asked - Yes, Serge is working with me on this new design.

I think Sugarfree's mockup is really close to being an optimal layout, but I'd need to move the bottom row of jacks and switches to above the other jacks and below the pots - but that's minor.
Sugarfree wrote:a draft of how DUSG could fit in 3U. Function set based on Random Source SERGE DUAL SLOPE GENERATOR MK2 XL.
http://randomsource.net/serge

Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I won't insult your intelligence here, but you know that MU is a limited market - and I'm very pleased to support it.

However, if I were to make this 3 MU thing with all the jacks, switches, pots and knobs, it would cost you $499.

I'm frankly waiting for enough enthusiasm to make the next prototype boards so I can provide a better demo. Yeah - Chicken and Egg problem.

I'll take pre-orders folks!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm

absolutely, count me in.
Black Knobs are dead!

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:53 am

Will the frequency range be extended upwards? Like the Random Source version.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 am

dslocum wrote:Yes, Serge is working with me on this new design.
Fantastic! Is this version retriggerable? It would be nice to throw in VC loop and hold if you could somehow make room.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 pm

it would be nice to have 2 seperate loop speed knobs.. outside the AD shape knobs..(tempo match and change envelope lengths) not seen this done they are always linked to the AD or ADSR knobs.
also be nice to find a way to effect the speed over time.. ..bouncing ball effect .. etc.. :)

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 pm

josaka wrote:it would be nice to have 2 seperate loop speed knobs.. outside the AD shape knobs..(tempo match and change envelope lengths) not seen this done they are always linked to the AD or ADSR knobs.
also be nice to find a way to effect the speed over time.. ..bouncing ball effect .. etc.. :)
Isn’t it what CV BOTH is for? Controlling the speed of the loop.
Black Knobs are dead!

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:46 pm

what I am saying is a little different.. two separate knobs for two speeds.separate from the AD.
CV both wold be for restarting the cycles of both A + B AD+ loops.. I would imagine.. which is also a nice feature ..
I know its a pipe dream.. but hey.. why else are we here..?

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 pm

so IOW, two additional LFOs retriggering ADs?
Black Knobs are dead!

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm

i know ..I know .. its crazy.. :)

not sure if you would need additional LFO of just a different set of controls as the LFO are already there.. just need to be able route them via a single separate knob outside the AD knobs.. . it would be fun !!

LFO rate- In/out

˘
loop on/off > AD >

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:10 am

josaka wrote:I know its a pipe dream.. but hey.. why else are we here..?
OK, I'll bite - EOR and burst outs. 4U width isn't that much different from 3U, right? Right?!
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RussiaZero23 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Sugarfree wrote:a draft of how DUSG could fit in 3U. Function set based on Random Source SERGE DUAL SLOPE GENERATOR MK2 XL.

3U i can fit. I am in the market for this. as long as the price is not in units of blood or other rare commodity.

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

DUSG

Post by ba1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:35 pm

disregard :bang:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

RussiaZero23 wrote:

3U i can fit. I am in the market for this. as long as the price is not in units of blood or other rare commodity.
I've heard there are places in the world where you can sell your body parts - assuming they aren't stolen from you in the middle of the night! :ripbanana:

Due to the large number of jacks, the panel size + number of holes and manual assembly time, a rough guess on price would be in the $550 to $600 range.

Still interested?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 pm

yes, I'm still in.
Black Knobs are dead!

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RussiaZero23 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 am

dslocum wrote:
RussiaZero23 wrote:

I've heard there are places in the world where you can sell your body parts - assuming they aren't stolen from you in the middle of the night! :ripbanana:

Due to the large number of jacks, the panel size + number of holes and manual assembly time, a rough guess on price would be in the $550 to $600 range.

Still interested?
$250 per side ($500 total) might be my max. Maybe $550. Even at $550 it will take me time to raise the funds. Not impossible, just more time waiting and hoping it does not sell out.

Learning to Wiggle

LESS features.

Post by 50050500 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Way way way way way too many features, dawg. Take an Oakley VRG, halve the feature set, and inject your own flavorful twists. Less is not more. Less is less but less is better. I want more less. Less density, more sparsity. Increased negative space. Increased void. Let stuff breathe. Less quantity, more quality.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You dig?

I am however glad to see more Serge modules in MU. That experimental progressiveness is needed.

:nana:

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RussiaZero23 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 pm

this is a clone of a Serge DUSG with just a tiny bit added on per side that is very welcome.

Serge is about Density and when you get a Serge DUSG it can do a TON of things. Serge is like a swiss army knife that can do moar.

Some people may be looking for that. In my 5U eurorack expander this is exactly what I am looking for.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Re: SSL Serge USG - Coming Soon!

Post by dslocum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:06 am

Some of you have PM'ed & emailed me about the progress of this.

Well, I'm moving forward (again). Here's what I'm hoping "might" make it to production.

But should the two "logic" jacks do? I don't want to add a third one. Right now it's A>B and A<B (logic level gates) - but is that what these jacks should do? Or should they be Serge style peak & trough?

(Damn - I can't figure out how to insert an inline image in this new UI! - HELP)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayDQ7C ... sp=sharing
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:02 pm

dslocum wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:06 am
(Damn - I can't figure out how to insert an inline image in this new UI! - HELP)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayDQ7C ... sp=sharing
Attach the image using the attachment box at the bottom of the reply box.
Click the "Place inline" button. All done :)
inline image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks, but I don't get the "place Inline" button. The file is about 1.2MB JPG. The Status on the right of the Attachment box is a yellow triangle. Opening that gives "ERROR It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."

Is the image / file size too big?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 am

Are you trying to attach an image file (that exists locally on your computer, not in a cloud service etc) or embed an image from a URL?
It reads a bit like the latter while I was talking about the former.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 am

Dual Slope Gen 3 MU - V3(1).png
I saw the same error when I tried it, so I converted it to a .png file and it worked, though its a biggie. Happy to delete it if you figure out a better way.

There's so much going on here, I think I'd sacrifice the logic jack in favor of keeping this layout. The two jacks in the middle allow create a nice break between all the i/o. I like the a<b, a>b, but it seems like one could be derived from the other with an inverter. Maybe there is another choice for one of the jacks. In any case, it looks really cool!

Are all of your new modules using re:synthesis style panels now, like the Thundrum? Thought it looked nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 am

I agree that B>A could be derived. Question is: Should these be logic level gates or more like peak / trough that outputs the greater (or lesser) of the analog outputs - and is that musically useful? Or something else completely?

I've always used metal photo process, not silk screen / anodized / painted, etc.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 am

What are you gaining by having two in one? You would sell more at half the price and just let people buy two if they want. Feature creep is the enemy.

Return to “5U Format Modules”