Dove Audio Waveplane oscillator

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:26 pm

I don't know if this helps, but I picture the layout of wavetable as more like a “samurai sudoku” than a cube or plane? :hmm: :eek:
Anyhow, an interesting design and at some point I will likely want one...
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Ordered one this morning over coffee. I’m very excited about pairing it with my WTF Osc and the up-coming Dove Audio Sequencer.

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 pm

kindredlost wrote:Ordered one this morning over coffee. I’m very excited about pairing it with my WTF Osc and the up-coming Dove Audio Sequencer.
Many thanks, it'll be in post tomorrow :)
I'll email you tracking info once I have it.

Paula
--
Synth designer and builder.
"Don't dream it, be it"
http://dove-audio.com

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:02 pm

PaulaM wrote: Many thanks, it'll be in post tomorrow :)

Paula
Are you kidding? Seriously, I should be thanking you for the next level modules you are producing. I wish I could get a few more of these but I want to save for the sequencer. That thing is a dream machine.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 pm

kindredlost wrote:
PaulaM wrote: Many thanks, it'll be in post tomorrow :)

Paula
Are you kidding? Seriously, I should be thanking you for the next level modules you are producing. I wish I could get a few more of these but I want to save for the sequencer. That thing is a dream machine.
Yeah I also have the WTF and love it, I would also get the Wave Table oscillator but I want to really save the funds for the upcoming sequencer too.

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support :)
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Really like this VCO. Since I'm posting this all over the place I just leave a marker here to link to the video I made using the Waveplane with the WTF as an audio FM source. It's a simple drone but I think it shows the sonic variety of these as a pair.

viewtopic.php?p=3149059#3149059

BTW, thank you so much Paula for the great module and the extra little hint at who makes nice cables! You're the best!

Ema41
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Dove Audio Waveplane oscillator

Post by Ema41 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:55 am

I've just received WTF and Waveplane eurorack modules.
Sound is nice, but unfortunately, the Waveplane is completely out of tune (E where I expect C, octaves go flat ...). :sad:
Is there a way to calibrate the oscillator? Should I touch the back trimmers?
A manual would help...

Ema41
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ema41 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:19 pm

After further exploration, the WTF is not perfectly calibrated too: a bit flat in high register.
To compare, I've got Waldorf NW-1, Plaits and Frequency Central Waverider VCO mk2 (just to talk about digital wavetable osc in that case) that track 1V/oct perfectly over 5 octaves.

Is there a procedure to calibrate it?

croute
Common Wiggler

Post by croute » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Contact directly PaulaM by PM(here or DOVE website) it will be better,i guess if you need some advice and fast respons of your request...
This module is awesome,it's on my wish list :guinness:

Ema41
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ema41 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks, it's done through FB (link on the website).
Very quick answer by Paula.

The faulty module leaves tomorrow for repair.

Ichor&Gore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ichor&Gore » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 am

Interesting, I've had tuning issues as well. Love the WTF but it has been frustrating to tune. Curious did you keep the course tuning in octave or smooth? I have not attempted smooth yet.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 am

I have the same tuning issue. I don’t have a Facebook account so my effort at contacting Paula have been unsuccessful. I notice there is no trimmer setup on the module for the typical method of tuning or calibration. If anyone has any success figuring this out then please relay the information here for us to read.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:25 am

Ichor&Gore wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 am
Interesting, I've had tuning issues as well. Love the WTF but it has been frustrating to tune. Curious did you keep the course tuning in octave or smooth? I have not attempted smooth yet.
Is one of the jumpers on back for selecting “smooth” or “octave”?

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 am

kindredlost wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:25 am
Ichor&Gore wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 am
Is one of the jumpers on back for selecting “smooth” or “octave”?
Jumpers operate similar to the WTF...so yes, one jumper will switch between octave switch.
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll have to try it again with a smooth setting. So far I can't achieve proper tuning even within an octave. :waah:

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 am

kindredlost wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 pm
Thanks Dave. I'll have to try it again with a smooth setting. So far I can't achieve proper tuning even within an octave. :waah:
To be perfectly honest when I got the waveplane, I never checked tuning, I just started feeding a sequence and modulation to see what it could do!! Could you elaborate on what the issue is specifically as I would like to test this on mine as well.

Although now that I think about it, Faustgeist is demoing my Waveplane currently, so it is 60 miles away...

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:15 pm

I have made a demo of the tracking issue but it seems YouTube is even more slow in uploading than usual today. When it loads I'll post it here.

I tried to contact Paula here with a PM but there has been no reply. Again, I don't use Facebook and there is no contact information at dove-audio website so I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I want to have a fix available because the module is so fun and full of unique value but using it for a glorified LFO or modulation source is not where I want to go.

I also tried to discern which of the jumpers is the "smooth vs octave" setting. I removed a few different ones without any usable results. It is totally different than the WTF because there are no markings on the board to identify which jumper is for what function. All in all I'm sad to say the planning that went into this module was under the level set for the WTF. The video also shows the difference in stability between the two and a Q106. It's night and day. At the very least it would have been a good customer courtesy to put up a user guide for these modules, especially when there are options available like jumper settings.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:31 am

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:20 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:15 pm
I have made a demo of the tracking issue but it seems YouTube is even more slow in uploading than usual today. When it loads I'll post it here.

I tried to contact Paula here with a PM but there has been no reply. Again, I don't use Facebook and there is no contact information at dove-audio website so I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I want to have a fix available because the module is so fun and full of unique value but using it for a glorified LFO or modulation source is not where I want to go.

I also tried to discern which of the jumpers is the "smooth vs octave" setting. I removed a few different ones without any usable results. It is totally different than the WTF because there are no markings on the board to identify which jumper is for what function. All in all I'm sad to say the planning that went into this module was under the level set for the WTF. The video also shows the difference in stability between the two and a Q106. It's night and day. At the very least it would have been a good customer courtesy to put up a user guide for these modules, especially when there are options available like jumper settings.
Nice video....Ill call R.... Faustgeist and see if he will put mine through the paces!

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Nice video....Ill call R.... Faustgeist and see if he will put mine through the paces!
That'll be nice to find out whether it is as problematic as the one I got. It is possible that there is something malfunctioning with mine that is not the same as what others are experiencing but my intuition (and reading the posts here) tells me there is a common problem. My aim is to be able to resolve this issue so to keep this lovely module and use it as the VCO it was intended to be.

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi,

No idea why I didn't get notice of a PM, you can always reach me via email - Contact@Dove-audio.com

Couple of things to check please;

Can you confirm what your +15, -15 and +5 volt rails measure please 9

Secondly, what version does it show on power up?

A couple of versions were made with the wrong value resistors and slipper through testing (not being able to get a C is a sure sign of this).

let me know the answers to the above and send me an email and we'll get this resolved as quickly as possible for you.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 pm

PaulaM wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:53 pm
Hi,

No idea why I didn't get notice of a PM, you can always reach me via email - Contact@Dove-audio.com

Couple of things to check please;

Can you confirm what your +15, -15 and +5 volt rails measure please 9

Secondly, what version does it show on power up?

A couple of versions were made with the wrong value resistors and slipper through testing (not being able to get a C is a sure sign of this).

let me know the answers to the above and send me an email and we'll get this resolved as quickly as possible for you.

Paula
Thanks for the reply. There is no link on your website and the forum here has changed so I don't get why private mails don't work either. Maybe the moderators can be of help.

My power is +15 and -15.9 volts. I have tried to move it around with no better results. The version is 1.01.

I hope there are other users here who can check their version to know whether this is common to that vintage. Apparently I am not the only one with this tuning concern.

Thanks again Paula!

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:52 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 pm
Thanks for the reply. There is no link on your website and the forum here has changed so I don't get why private mails don't work either. Maybe the moderators can be of help.

My power is +15 and -15.9 volts. I have tried to move it around with no better results. The version is 1.01.

I hope there are other users here who can check their version to know whether this is common to that vintage. Apparently I am not the only one with this tuning concern.

Thanks again Paula!
Unsure what has gone wrong with this forum, hopefully it'll get fixed soon. I will be re-adding contact details to my website which seem to have vanished following a recent update (thank you wordpress!).

the -15.9 i quite a way out, and would contribute to the tuning issue, V1.01 will also contribute a little.
I can't remember if you said you could get C with 0V on the 1V/Oct input and adjusting the fine tune, I suspect yours was one of the few that had a couple of resistors of the wrong value substituted, I thought these had all been corrected and resolved prior to shipping. I will be following up with my supply chain to understand how this got through testing and out with this problem.
I suspect this culmination of these three factors is making the scaling out considerably, I've responded to your email and look forward to hearing from you shortly so we can resolve this quickly.

If others have concerns, please do contact me using the email address and I will work through these with you.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

PaulaM
Common Wiggler

Post by PaulaM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:57 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:31 am
Just watched your video, something is WAY off.
Have never had one that far out, even with the small errors I mentioned before.
I too use the Q123 standards in my own system (2 x 22U case + 1 x 11U case and 1 x box 11, all running off a QPS1) and my waveplane is rock solid.

If you can reply to my email, we'll get that resolved ASAP.

Paula
--
"Don't dream it, be it"

Return to “5U Format Modules”