Must Have euro Modules you would like to see in 5u ?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

BendingBus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BendingBus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:33 pm

cornutt wrote:
BendingBus wrote:Currently having a MOTM-352 built.
Who's doing it for you? I've got an E340 and E350 reformatted to MU by Low-Gain Electronics.
Pete of Frogleg Synthesis. Looks like a e352, he used the same panel design from Paul (font, spacing), just moved to MOTM panel size. Will hopefully have it, and can post pics, in a few weeks.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:28 pm

I could just post pics now though :-D

Happy to do for others, let me know in PM or whatever. Takes me a couple weeks to get a panel-less 352 from Paul and for me to order the panel from FPE and wire it up.... Sol's is taking longer because there are other pieces than just this (though let me know, I can just ship the 352 first, it's done :) )

CliffordMilk
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Must Have euro Modules you would like to see in 5u ?

Post by CliffordMilk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:05 am

I’ve had a Euro system for years before jumping up to 5U. I’m no longer interested in Euro VCOs or Filters but I do still find myself cross patching modulators. In particular:

4MS PEG
Turing Machine with expanders
Frequency Central Trans Europa

It would make my year to have these in MU.

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Analog craftsmen makes the Turing machine in 5u as the random looping sequencer
CliffordMilk wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:05 am
I’ve had a Euro system for years before jumping up to 5U. I’m no longer interested in Euro VCOs or Filters but I do still find myself cross patching modulators. In particular:

4MS PEG
Turing Machine with expanders
Frequency Central Trans Europa

It would make my year to have these in MU.

CliffordMilk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CliffordMilk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks. I didn’t know that. Looks great but I’d love a version with Pulses and the slider version of Volts too.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:43 pm

I know that there has been some conversions to MU but are hard to find but Wogglebug would be one I would find cool to have. Maybe there is already an existing alternative in MU that I am not aware of.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:05 pm

I'm only aware of an MOTM panel for wogglebugs....

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm

I would love to see a Dave Rossum Morpheus in 5U... there are probably a million reasons why it will never happen, though.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:02 pm

I'd like to see some manufacturers make 5U PCBs for themselves or DIYers, rather than rely on other people to repanel a euro PCB.

Synth Tech Hyperion Effects unit has me shook, but I dont think it would work with a repanelling. especially as the GUI has to rely on knob positions to make sense.

Disting would be great but needs the flashing Jacks and OS has the patent on them.

etc. etc.

basically Euro Manufacturers should offer a limited run of 5U PCBs, or finished products, use a pre order/crowdfunding process to gauge interest then bash them out.

No interest, then dont make them....
all the R&D is done so this is just a nicer reskinning and making sure its not a ergonomic nightmare.

Dove Audio and Noise Engineering manage to do it ( :yay: ) There are also some nice MI builds in 5U, just spend some time rejigging the PCB and making sure it will take a 15V power.

its money on the table and the smaller number of 5U modules and manufacturers means you won't get forgotten once MakeNoise drops a new module and everyone in Euro does their nut.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm

hamildad wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:02 pm
I'd like to see some manufacturers make 5U PCBs for themselves or DIYers, rather than rely on other people to repanel a euro PCB.
Significant expense for very little return. The 5U market is tiny.
hamildad wrote:
Synth Tech Hyperion Effects unit has me shook, but I dont think it would work with a repanelling. especially as the GUI has to rely on knob positions to make sense.
Has been long enough that I'm not 100% positive, but I believe they are round pots so you can adjust as necessary.
hamildad wrote:
basically Euro Manufacturers should offer a limited run of 5U PCBs, or finished products, use a pre order/crowdfunding process to gauge interest then bash them out.

No interest, then dont make them....
all the R&D is done so this is just a nicer reskinning and making sure its not a ergonomic nightmare.
There's a fair amount of work and expense involved in doing a separate PCB layout, prototyping, etc. R&D is only one dimension of the costs of bringing a product to life and the others don't just go away. Even if there was interest, by and large it's not going to be sufficient at the price point necessary to recoup the cost.

Trust me, Paul Schreiber of Synthesis Technology (who came up with the MOTM format) has had people telling him this literally for decades, and if he doesn't believe it can be done cost effectively, even with his kickstarters, it probably just can't be done.
hamildad wrote:
Dove Audio and Noise Engineering manage to do it ( :yay: ) There are also some nice MI builds in 5U, just spend some time rejigging the PCB and making sure it will take a 15V power.
"just some time"

As a DIY person, absolutely. That's a big part of how the different MI variants have come to be, individuals spending their time because they enjoy it, and because it's open source. That's why I did the MOTM panel for the E352 as well, I am all for DIY and had someone who really wanted one, and it seemed feasible for *me* to do as a repanel.

As a manufacturer it's not that simple.

I've posted the 5U E352 in this thread, which you'd expect to have a fair number of eyeballs, and people interested. At the price I'm asking, I've had 2 people who wanted it. Paul would have to sell several dozen to break even and probably a fair bit more than that if he were to have to re-layout the PCB.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 pm

The Rossum Morpheus filter.

I finally gave in and did a MU adapter panel for mine, and added a 15V to 12V power converter board to my MU rig, but it would have been nice to not have to do that:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 pm

That's pretty cool. But yeah, I'm with you;; I wish there was a "proper" 5U panel for it.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Thorsday » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 am

elmegil wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:28 pm
I could just post pics now though :-D

Happy to do for others, let me know in PM or whatever. Takes me a couple weeks to get a panel-less 352 from Paul and for me to order the panel from FPE and wire it up.... Sol's is taking longer because there are other pieces than just this (though let me know, I can just ship the 352 first, it's done :) )
What knobs did you use? Beautiful build!

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by elmegil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:09 am

Thorsday wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 am
What knobs did you use? Beautiful build!
Thank you :)

Paul uses a mini (1/2"? or maybe 5/8") version of the same style knob as the bigger MOTM modules. In one instance he shipped the knobs on the module as I bought it from him (without jacks/jack board), and in the other instance I used knobs of that size I sourced from Synthcube. I don't recall which of the two the photo is of, and I didn't shoot the second one I did. I don't recall there being any difference between the knobs, so I'm reasonably certain Synthcube is using the same source as Paul.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:18 pm

elmegil wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm
There's a fair amount of work and expense involved in doing a separate PCB layout, prototyping, etc. R&D is only one dimension of the costs of bringing a product to life and the others don't just go away. Even if there was interest, by and large it's not going to be sufficient at the price point necessary to recoup the cost.
I had kinda hoped you just opened the PCB in Eagle and then dragged the bottom right hand corner, till it was the right size...... :lol:

a real shame the numbers dont add up, but I was just speculating and it's good to hear the real world challenges with such an operation..

I'll always look at euro >5U conversions and only see the waste of panel real estate and the wincy wee screens used.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:36 pm

hamildad wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:18 pm
I'll always look at euro >5U conversions and only see the waste of panel real estate and the wincy wee screens used.
I couldn't agree more :)

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Just want to reiterate someone needs to make a Verbos style buchla 262 harmonic generator.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Not familar with it offhand, but if I were to guess it looks an awful lot like an Ian Fritz Double Deka, which is (or was) available in 5U.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 pm

elmegil wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Not familar with it offhand, but if I were to guess it looks an awful lot like an Ian Fritz Double Deka, which is (or was) available in 5U.
Yeah, they look similar superficially, but the double Deka is basically a kind of super square wave/waveform generator; 262 allows you to play the harmonic series from given waveform.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Ah, gotcha. So each slider is a harmonic rather than a step in a waveform. Interesting, certainly.

If it's originally Buchla I'd be surprised if *someone* hasn't cloned it to 5U.

Edit: So I guess I get to be surprised. Mark's notes are the only references to it I see....

Return to “5U Format Modules”