SSL - New Mini Sequencer

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

SSL - New Mini Sequencer

Post by dslocum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 am

JLR has let the cat out of the bag on Instagram: Mini Sequencer

I'm getting units ready to ship later this week so I'm taking backorders in our web store (hopefully that works - I've never done that before.)

Here's a link to the product page. Enjoy!
SSL 1650 Mini Sequencer
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:19 am

Great work, Doug.

I just ordered one thru your site ok.

- Another great SSL product

Regards
Larry

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm

looks well funky Doug.. ! :yay:

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

That looks really sweet. I see Rest--is there any sort of legato?

gregae
Common Wiggler

Post by gregae » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Looks great Doug! Noticed the ganged Clock In jacks in the photo - how does that work? :hmm:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

gregae wrote:Looks great Doug! Noticed the ganged Clock In jacks in the photo - how does that work? :hmm:
Just convenient "mults" for cascading.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

It looks nice. Simple but versatile.
A few questions:

Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope (edit: envelope :lol: ) generator. Doesn't seems to be possible :hmm:

When in programming mode will the leds on the octave and key buttons show previously stored values?
Last edited by steffengrondahl on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:That looks really sweet. I see Rest--is there any sort of legato?
From the data sheet:
"REST: Instead of containing a note, a REST step holds the previous note and doesn’t fire the gate."

Hope that's what you mean.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:56 pm

steffengrondahl wrote: Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope generator. Doesn't seems to be possible :hmm:
You are correct. That's not possible unfortunately.
steffengrondahl wrote: When in programming mode will the leds on the octave and key buttons show previously stored values?
If I understand correctly - While programming, as you advance to a step, it will show the currently programmed note/rest and octave. You can then overwrite that with a new note/rest/octave, or leave it and move to the next step. Hope that makes sense. After a short time getting used to it, its really pretty simple to use.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Neat, I'm down for one!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:30 pm

dslocum wrote:
steffengrondahl wrote: Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope generator. Doesn't seems to be possible :hmm:
You are correct. That's not possible unfortunately.
Guess I can do without. I only use the reset input to bring the sequencers in sync when out of sync and I don't want to stop them from running. But how often does it really occur :hmm:
dslocum wrote:
steffengrondahl wrote: When in programming mode will the leds on the octave and key buttons show previously stored values?
If I understand correctly - While programming, as you advance to a step, it will show the currently programmed note/rest and octave. You can then overwrite that with a new note/rest/octave, or leave it and move to the next step. Hope that makes sense. After a short time getting used to it, its really pretty simple to use.
When I wrote previous value I meant current value, so you understood me better than I did :mrgreen:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Guys,

Sorry - I forgot to formally credit Scott Rise at Division-6 for the original awesome design in Euro rack format. :hail: :guinness:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

dslocum wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:That looks really sweet. I see Rest--is there any sort of legato?
From the data sheet:
"REST: Instead of containing a note, a REST step holds the previous note and doesn’t fire the gate."

Hope that's what you mean.
yes, it is! Just wanted to confirm that rest didn't also kill the previous note.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 am

really lovely little thing.. on looks alone its tempting.
..for me presets are important plus rachets/offsets/diff run modes..

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:59 am

Great looking sequencer, economic size, good set of features, no-nonsense interface (especially no screens or menus). Reminds me a lot of my Mobius. Mini-keyboard during stand-by is a very nice touch. Really tempting.

BTW.- Acc output can be used to trigger a drum sound (e.g., ThunDrum), while the additional clock output can trigger a hi-hat sound. One could squeeze a lot from this sequencer.

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:51 am

I've been back and forth regarding this modules. For two reasons:

First: The look. I like the switch buttons. Seems to be the same kind as on my Prophet-6, but using way more of the color palette (just grey, black and red on the prophet) :)
But then there's all the white areas on the modules. Eek :zombie: It almost looks like a Caleb Condit module :eek: :mrgreen: :hihi: :hide:

So I did a mockup to see if my aesthetic references would let it down:

OK - it passed. So on for the second objection:
This is a sequencer that cannot be played live. No way of skipping steps or changing reset point when running. And thus very much different from the common sequencers. Actually it reminds me of how things where before I went modular 8 years ago: I did all my sequencers on one of my two ( :jawdrop: ) Andromeda. Tedious programming with the small knobs below the screen and changing screen view with the push buttons. Better than using a DAW? Probably not, but it was how I did it. And not only that. I did write the sequencer settings down in a documents with comments of which effect processing that will work good (delay, reverb etc) :deadbanana: I've got about 200 sequencers listed, ready to be reprogrammed in ... for instance the SSL Mini Sequencer :mrgreen: :razz:

TL;DR

OK I just bought one of these. Until it arrives I will use the mock-up above :lol:

PS: I sold my two Andromeda when going modular. Haven't regretted at all 8-)

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 pm

steffengrondahl wrote:I've been back and forth regarding this modules. For two reasons:

First: The look. I like the switch buttons. Seems to be the same kind as on my Prophet-6, but using way more of the color palette (just grey, black and red on the prophet) :)
But then there's all the white areas on the modules. Eek :zombie: It almost looks like a Caleb Condit module :eek: :mrgreen: :hihi: :hide:

I sorta agree...I get the white buttons for the keyboard, but I did find it a touch "colorful" for my taste. I am sure that is probably an easy fix DIY swapping out buttons....or maybe not. This is just my opinion (opinions are like assholes....when you hear them it stinks!) I like the black, white, grey look of 5U so the extra colors were a bit weird for me when I think about it in my system.

As a sequencer, I like it. It covers a lot of ground for the price. I get that there will be some features lacking at this price point, but that is a pretty attractive price point. Kudos!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm

think the module looks great.!!. very 80s kids toy/sequential sequencer..
the mock up makes it look a lot more stand out!!..and also not a fan of calebs work ! :)...have to think of this in a hexinverter 'simple sequencer' kind of way..

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm

josaka wrote:think the module looks great.!!. very 80s kids toy/sequential sequencer..
the mock up makes it look a lot more stand out!!..and also not a fan of calebs work ! :)...have to think of this in a hexinverter 'simple sequencer' kind of way..
It is very Juno 6/60/106 !!!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:52 pm

I like the Prophet style buttons :yay:

Beautiful module Doug! :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Awesome comments guys! Thanks. I don't take offense to any of the comments. "It is what it is". I decided the buttons and colors for the MU version, so blame me! :msnsmack:

Scott Rise @ Division-6 created this thing and we should credit him for his insight and superb programming / design talents.

I think its a fun little sequencing machine that we've tried to price reasonably. Hope you think so too!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:16 pm

the said sequencer :)
then

the classic..
eventually :)

Heritage select..

ImageImage

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 am

Naming it the 1650 almost seems like a nod to the late great MOTM-650 sequencer, although the features are different.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Ha ha, glad I could stir things up a bit :hihi:
Actually I tried to do some photoshopping just for fun. I believe I succeeded making some modifications that looks more traditional MU (or you can say more conservative), but in the end Dougs design makes more sense :tu:

Looking forward to the module. It will be the oddball in my setup, both with regards to look, feel and functionality :mrgreen:

josaka it seems like the buttons changed from the early to late SCI models. The laters seems more - ahem - cheap. Doug seems to be the same kind as the early (Prophet 5). And the Rolands have more narrow and perhaps longer buttons with more hot colors 8-)

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm

dslocum wrote:Awesome comments guys! Thanks. I don't take offense to any of the comments. "It is what it is". I decided the buttons and colors for the MU version, so blame me! :msnsmack:
My apologies for forcing my traditional MU values....I AM A FRAUD....I DON"T EVEN HAVE A PONYTAIL!!! And even worse...I don't even own a 5U sequencer...I do most of it via MIDI/computer.... :eek:

I am sure I will be banned soon.... :waah:

Still love the features for the price!! Great job! Hopefully I will get to play with one....(Faustgeist) wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

Return to “5U Format Modules”