SSL - New Mini Sequencer

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Re:

Post by dslocum » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:52 pm

steffengrondahl wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:11 am
sduck wrote:Here's JLR's instagram video -
:tu:

I like the leds show which note is currently played.

And now the questions is: Will I have my module before Christmas? Please, please (where is the Santa emoticon?)
Did you get yours yet? :goo:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Re: SSL - New Mini Sequencer

Post by steffengrondahl » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I got it just before Christmas :party:
Unfortunately, I also catch a flu :'( so I haven't found time to test before today.

First impression: It´s sturdy, well build, buttons feels great. Easy to use. :tu: Hopefully I will have more time to play with it in the start of the new year.

If you want a small and simple, yet versatile sequencer this is a very good purchase. It would be a great first sequencer for a lot of newcomers to the MU world. And for all of us who all ready got one or several of the big sequencers, but just wants to squeeze in another one :mrgreen:

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Gotta agree. This is a great little sequencer for any size setup.

...but seriously Doug... Popcorn? :lol:
You are the synth historian. :tu:

This is a great way to come up with quick step sequences easily. Usually it involves quite a few patch cords and quantizers as well as tuning exercises. This eliminates a lot of steps and is a very efficient way to create melodic lines in a hurry.
Thanks SSL! :yay:

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:47 am

I’ve been playing with the “START IN” function to set up layered cannons by using an eighth note clock in to the Mini Sequencer CLOCK input and running a quarter note clock through a Moon 563 Trigger Sequencer then into the Mini Sequencer’s START input. Of course this is while multi tracking over a simple sequence repeating. The over dubbed sequence has a sync timing but varying start times as I inject pulses from the Trigger Sequencer to reset the beginning step.

Nothing ground breaking but very fun and good for interesting “rounds”. Im sure there are a number of different ways to achieve a similar effect but this is a lot of fun and easy to do.

Now I need to buy a few more of these sequencers so I can do this without multi tracking. The reset function is an integral part of why step sequencers are my favorite aspect of modular patching and its great to have it on this little module.

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Is a good add for My system?
3BC440E7-47F1-4C37-96AB-37794A6B0159.jpeg
Thanks you all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Please vive me advice if This sequencer is good for My little setup.... :hail: :sb:

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:02 pm

plastilina wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm
Please vive me advice if This sequencer is good for My little setup.... :hail: :sb:
Short answer: Yes. If you want a sequencer for a small system the 1650 is a good choice.

Longer answer: There's also the 1U SympleSEQ from Lower West Side studio (https://richsstudioproject.wpcomstaging.com/product/hexinverter-sympleseq/) and the GMS-775 from Grove audio (http://synthstore.groveaudio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122. These are both 1U and seems more or less identical. The 1650 can do more (16 steps, quantized, accent out, possible to chain them for 32 steps etc). The main difference is that the 1650 is a sequencer you program and then play, you can not really interact during playback. The two smaller sequencer gives you the possibility to change CV and gate out on the fly.

Perhaps get both a 1650 and one of the 1U sequencers :hihi:

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm

With my module, which one is more suitable?

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 am

Purchase i'm waiting for to get there...
:sb: :yay:
Demonstration video is only the Jhon?
Is there a pdf of instructions in the internet?

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:59 am

plastilina wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 am
Purchase i'm waiting for to get there...
:sb: :yay:
Demonstration video is only the Jhon?
Is there a pdf of instructions in the internet?
Take a look here. Very straightforward once you get used to it.

https://division-6.com/learn/dual-mini- ... tructions/

Have fun!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 pm

i just populated my first row of eurorack and the div6 version was my first purchase. this thing rules! super simple and easy to use.
the daisychainability for longer sequences is also great.im defs getting another.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sat May 23, 2020 1:35 pm

Very interesting to see new firmware for this. Can we upgrade our 5u? If so, which chipset do we need?

Thanks!
-R

From Synthrotek's website :

. . ."NEW v2 firmware, check it out:

At long last, v2 firmware for the Business Card Sequencer and Dual Mini Sequencer has arrived!  Here are some of the new features you have to look forward to:

7 sequence memories
5 song memories (string sequences together)
SLUR- change pitch between steps without firing gateVariable gate timing (including ratcheting)
ACC can be set to drop or not drop between steps, or follow gate timing for that step
Auto-advance step when programmingLive transpose (use the keyboard to shift entire sequence up or down while running)
Live edit (buttons you push while running get saved to the sequence)
1X mode (disable to use XP IN as a reset without requiring an external gate mixer)
Clock out (use ACC out jack to output clock if using internal clock)

Nothing has changed about the sequencer hardware except that v2 uses a different microcontroller IC (PIC16F1788) (the old one was full).

To upgrade, simply swap out the chip.  The firmware/chips are now the same for both the Business Card Sequencer and the Dual Mini Sequencer, so just install the chip and it will auto-detect which hardware you have.
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm

I finally bit the bullet and order one from NoiseBug. It shipped yesterday. I also got the email from Synthrotek but didn't even think if it would affect the MU one. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to look into that.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 am

Unfortunately, the our MU 1650 chip is not easily upgraded. It's surface mounted and soldered directly to the PCB.

I'll be discontinuing the 1650 and updating to the 1651 with the new chip and new panel graphics soon - and the price will go up to $350 to help cover the cost of the software investment. Probably 6-8 weeks. Noisebug has the last of our 1650s if you want to pick one up.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am

dslocum wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 am
Unfortunately, the our MU 1650 chip is not easily upgraded. It's surface mounted and soldered directly to the PCB.
Too bad no one saw the upgraded chip set coming.
I want this one too but having two side by side that work different is going to keep me guessing.
:hmm:
No big deal... I stay confused all the time anyway so what's new?

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 am

I spoke with Doug, not up-gradable. No worries - Still a fun module.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sun May 24, 2020 4:18 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am
dslocum wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 am
Too bad no one saw the upgraded chip set coming.
I want this one too but having two side by side that work different is going to keep me guessing.
:hmm:
No big deal... I stay confused all the time anyway so what's new?
The new one will basically work the same as the old one, except with new features that are activated by pressing button combinations. Not really as bad as the dreaded "menu-diving", but the graphics are pretty good at describing the presses. Here's a preliminary mockup:
1651 Mini Sequencer Rev 1.0 Ver17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Mon May 25, 2020 9:22 am

Faustgeist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:35 pm
7 sequence memories
5 song memories (string sequences together)
SLUR- change pitch between steps without firing gateVariable gate timing (including ratcheting)
ACC can be set to drop or not drop between steps, or follow gate timing for that step
Auto-advance step when programmingLive transpose (use the keyboard to shift entire sequence up or down while running)
Live edit (buttons you push while running get saved to the sequence)
1X mode (disable to use XP IN as a reset without requiring an external gate mixer)
Clock out (use ACC out jack to output clock if using internal clock)
This is a drool-worthy list of features in the upgrade, particularly the potential to have an inexpensive digital sequencer memory in 5U. The rub to me is that I can't quite discern how to access them looking at the new panel. Makes me feel like there might be a place for the simplicity of the 1650 in my heart still. It might be the level of function per knob I can get my head around in a module.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Doug,

I see that the Buchla guys are getting this sequencer with the upgrades to store sequences. Are you planning on giving these upgrades to the MU units as well? Can the software get upgraded on current modules?
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

Return to “5U Format Modules”