Temperature drop!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Temperature drop!

Post by ba1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:03 am

Not really specific to 5U, but I trust the answers that I get here a little more. I'll be moving from Brooklyn, NY to Lansing, MI at the end of December for a new job. I have a ton of stuff to pack. My plan is to load a 26" unheated truck up over the course of the first day day, leave everything locked over night and then make the 11 - 12 hour drive the next day. I usually load any electronics toward the front of the truck to reduce bounce. However, this could mean that my synths and pro-audio gear spend over 24 hours in potentially sub-freezing temps. Is there a risk of the cold causing damage to my equipment? If so, any ideas for how to protect my stuff?

Thanks!
Last edited by ba1 on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:31 am

Living up here in Canada where the temperatures are rarely above freezing :roll: :mrgreen: I've found that as long as you don't apply electricity to the components before they've come to room temperature they're good to go.

Just let 'em warm up before plugging 'em in.

This has been my personal experience.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:06 am

Good to know! Thanks Rich!

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:36 am

Welcome to MI. (I'm in Traverse City)
Hope you brought your antidepressants, because Michigan. :deadbanana:

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:55 am

If you box up or bundle stuff, leave the boxes/bundles closed while they warm up inside. If you try to rush things, it may make condensation inside the equipment.

Also, is a 26 inch truck big enough to hold all of your stuff? :hihi:

defutura
Wiggling with Experience

Post by defutura » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:32 pm

MrNezumi wrote:Also, is a 26 inch truck big enough to hold all of your stuff? :hihi:
Stonehenge!

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Sorry, The 26" truck is just for my eurorack case. :lol: The rest is going in a 26' truck.

I'm not on antidepressants yet, but i probably should be. I was hoping that moving to MI would get me away from the :deadbanana: of Brooklyn! I guess the snow is always whiter on the other side...

Thanks all, for your advice!

Happy Tofurkey Day!

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:05 am

When I was a touring musician based in Minnesota between 1973 and 1977 our gear would occasionally sit in our (unheated) equipment truck for days between gigs,

in winter...

in Minnesota.

The MiniMoog was always packed at the very rear of the truck so that as soon as the roadies pulled into the venue for a gig they could bring the Moog into the building and get it warmed up. Quite often the venue owner would not turn on the heat inside the building until hours after the roadies began load-in, so they got into the habit of connecting the Moog to AC, turning it on and letting it warm up while they unloaded and set up the rest of our gear (7 tons worth).

By the time the band arrived at the venue the Moog was sufficiently warm so that our keyboard player could get it to stay in tune with his Hammond BCV and his Fender Rhodes.

If the roadies failed to follow this procedure the Moog would be unusable until our third set, which usually started after 11pm. (We typically played 4 sets a night.)

P.S. In spite of the temperature extremes, that Moog never experienced a failure. (The Mellotron 400, on the other hand... :deadbanana: )

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 pm

hsosdrum wrote:When I was a touring musician based in Minnesota between 1973 and 1977 our gear would occasionally sit in our (unheated) equipment truck for days between gigs,

in winter...

in Minnesota.

The MiniMoog was always packed at the very rear of the truck so that as soon as the roadies pulled into the venue for a gig they could bring the Moog into the building and get it warmed up. Quite often the venue owner would not turn on the heat inside the building until hours after the roadies began load-in, so they got into the habit of connecting the Moog to AC, turning it on and letting it warm up while they unloaded and set up the rest of our gear (7 tons worth).

By the time the band arrived at the venue the Moog was sufficiently warm so that our keyboard player could get it to stay in tune with his Hammond BCV and his Fender Rhodes.

If the roadies failed to follow this procedure the Moog would be unusable until our third set, which usually started after 11pm. (We typically played 4 sets a night.)

P.S. In spite of the temperature extremes, that Moog never experienced a failure. (The Mellotron 400, on the other hand... :deadbanana: )
Coming from a roadie background with serious MiniMoog experience ....

100% what he said!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm

The big issue I've run into with this isn't so much cold as moisture - metal surfaces especially are prone to frost or condensation build-up, and if you don't give that moisture time to warm up and evaporate, Bad Things can happen. My DW-8000 got hosed that way - knew I shoulda let it warm up and dry out after sitting out in the trunk of the car on a particularly damp evening, but I got impatient and fired it up only to hear a nice POP and find that the output was nearly-inaudible and mostly noise :( Still need to get it fixed...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 pm

commodorejohn wrote:The big issue I've run into with this isn't so much cold as moisture - metal surfaces especially are prone to frost or condensation build-up, and if you don't give that moisture time to warm up and evaporate, Bad Things can happen. My DW-8000 got hosed that way - knew I shoulda let it warm up and dry out after sitting out in the trunk of the car on a particularly damp evening, but I got impatient and fired it up only to hear a nice POP and find that the output was nearly-inaudible and mostly noise :( Still need to get it fixed...
I've seen condensation on surfaces of any many materials after bringing it in to the house. Does it have to do with "how quickly" the object heats up?
As silly as it sounds, maybe a few heated blankets wrapped around the rig and plugged into the car lighter port for the whole trip. :despair:

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Temperature drop!

Post by ba1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:40 pm

So we lucked out and it was around 50 degrees the week we moved, Dec 21-24. Which was great since the house we rented didn't work out. We had to leave all our stuff in the truck for 3 days. I packed 2 cabs of 2 x 21 spaces, face to face in a commercial bin. Each case got shrink wrap and bubble first. They were sitting on 2" foam and I filled the space around them with packing blankets. This was a great way to travel a 5U system. Not sure a c-bin would fit a standard 22 space cab though. Still setting up my new studio. It's gonna be pretty sweet. As warned, it is a little depressing here.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Didn't Emerson's Moog sit outside in a road case for a Buffalo, NY winter?

If it's anything like Minnesota everyone is in shorts and convertibles at the beginning of March, but you don't see your neighbors for a few months in the winter. Good luck in your new city!

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:27 am

ba1 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:40 pm
As warned, it is a little depressing here.
It is only depressing if you let it depress you!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

Return to “5U Format Modules”