The future for Oakley 5U modules

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

The future for Oakley 5U modules

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:16 am

The new Oakley Router is probably my last module to be built specifically for the MOTM/Oakley format. Any new designs I do will now be for MU, Eurorack or standalone.

The MU format is now the dominant force in the large format modular arena, so keeping two mechanically incompatible systems in what is a small market is not really economically viable. I will, however, continue to put MOTM/Oakley power headers, as well as the standard Dotcom one, on any MU projects simply because it is a superior connection system.

I am hoping that all new Oakley MU projects will have front panels available to buy from me along with the PCBs. The first new project will probably be the 2MU wide analogue delay which I have been wanting to do for some time. However, panels for the MU version of the ASV, as well as ready made units, should be available early in the new year.

I will keep all the existing MOTM/Oakley format boards around for as long as possible. But should sales dwindle on any specific products they will be inevitably discontinued as I can't afford to keep stocks of boards that aren't selling sufficiently.

Because MU panels are slightly wider than MOTM ones I will look into redesigning some of my current module line up into MU ones. That extra panel width will allow for new or different features to be added. Much in the same way as my ports to Eurorack have additional functionality when compared to the original 5U versions.

I have no timetable or set plans for which modules will be made or converted. And I move quite slowly so don't expect a rush of modules throughout next year. I have a few other non 5U projects on the go at the moment too.

This marks the end of a journey for me that started just over twenty years ago when the first Oakley MOTM format module, the original Superladder, was born. My original intention was to make 4U high modules with banana sockets, but Paul Schreiber convinced me not to go that way. The rest, as they say, is history.

Tony

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:59 am

Wow, that's quite a decision after all those years. Understandable though.

I really appreciate your ongoing work on your designs, the never ending flow of new ones coming up and the great documentation of your projects.

As a customer I certainly will keep building Oakley modules as I have both formats in my rack anyway and may like the MU format a bit more due to the lovely bends.

For now I am looking forward now to see the delay materialise and hopefully the sequencer. Not even Brexit will stop me.

:tu:

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:12 am

The DIY builders can still source their own panels and use the MOTM power headers on the boards, so...as long as the boards are available...
I'm more of a MU than 5U type, but I still have both around.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The future for Oakley 5U modules

Post by ericD13 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:The MU format is now the dominant force in the large format modular arena, so keeping two mechanically incompatible systems in what is a small market is not really economically viable.
It seems to be the only option for a viable big format.
The MOTM/MU quarrel is just killing both formats.
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:46 pm

? There's no quarrel. Neither format is killing the other.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Lower West Side Studio is offering DIYers an opportunity to get Oakley panels in MU format now.

There will be more details on our site to follow but for now you can either PM me or contact me through our Contact Page for details.

Don't hold off building these incredible modules because you can't get a panel in MU!
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Stereotactixxx
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stereotactixxx » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Many years ago, I almost started an MOTM system because of Oakley.
But money was tight, and I put off my modular for a few years.
Then Krisp1 started making MU modules around the time I was able to afford getting into modulars,
and already at that point, MU seemed like the more attractive option.
As things have turned out since, I'm really glad I went that route.
I look forward to see what new Oakley modules will turn up in MU in the future.

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:17 pm

I supply mu panels to various DIYers
Check Jakob Huba Swifts Haible Frequency Shifter for an example
The main reason I got into this was because I needed mu panels for my own DIY projects
mu Is how I wanted my panels to be

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks to Lower West Side Studio and Krisp 1 for expanding Mu DIY horizons
And of course Oakley. I remember when I discovered the website nearly 20 years ago it was so inspiring. Weirdly I take my kids to a playground which is next door to the OMEG Potentiometer Factory. I remembered them because Tony used to use them in all his modules.

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Re: The future for Oakley 5U modules

Post by terjewinther » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:This marks the end of a journey for me that started just over twenty years ago when the first Oakley MOTM format module, the original Superladder, was born.

Tony
Thanks a lot for the update. Although I am sad to see the decision, I do understand. Thanks a lot for all the modules you have designed - it has been a pleasure to build and use them all these years, as it will be in the coming years as well.

I do own both MOTM and MU modulars, so I am looking forward to new experiences.

Terje Winther

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:04 pm

I started my MOTM format modular in October 1999 and ordered my first Oakley boards a couple of months later. Somewhere there's a photo of my first Mididac housed in a biscuit tin lid. I'm not sad to see MOTM as a format fall by the wayside in favour of MU - it's just evolution. And as Tony has alluded, it's left a great legacy. I'm unable to solder these days, but if I could I'd be getting up to date on Tony's designs and making my own panels - in MOTM format

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:32 pm

I still have a number of Oakley modules in my MOTM racks. The OMS-410 was actually the very first MOTM module that I built (around 2002). I had a MOTM-410 on order and got a 'full kit' of the OMS-410 from somebody. And, well, I modified it with three switches to enable use as a stand-alone dual VCA.

https://pugix.com/synth/oakley-sound-systems-oms-410/

I always appreciated the fast shipping, excellent documentation and circuit explanations that Tony provided. Thank you, Tony!
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Return to “5U Format Modules”