Eurorack, next to 5U?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: Eurorack, next to 5U?

Post by sduck » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 pm

electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 pm
sduck wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 pm
Get a Mantis case by Tiptop Audio. They're great, inexpensive self contained little things that work great. I've got 2 of them.
They’re self-limiting in that they don’t stack—which is a pro if you want to limit your growth, but a con if you don’t. You can easily make a stackable wood case the same size for a third of the price.
They heard you and started selling brackets! A bunch of people were sharing 3d printable ones that someone came up with, and tiptop audio decided to get into that market.
Assem-Mantis-Bracket_05.png
Assem-Mantis-Bracket_02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm

synthetic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm
Weird left field idea, for the price of a Morphagene you could get a used iPad, throw an app like Enso on there and be looping like a champ with a much better interface and sampling time. Just need some kind of interface to plug it into the modular.
Well, being a software developer, I'm sick and tired of staring at a screen, when I get home...

I like the tactile feel of knobs and cables, the look of leds. The directness... Being physical. The simplicity of voltages.
Also I like the idea of my setup to be a self contained instrument.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm

electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Dob wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 am

I was all over Morphagene but got set back by the 30 page manual, and pressing (and having to remember) button combinations.
I play Morphagene all day without using any button combos. They’re more for advanced setup and such. I have none memorized and don’t feel handicapped at all by that. You can get all the beautiful MG sounds and play them without any button combos. It’s really much more user-friendly than your impression of it.
Ok.
But doing things like removing a splicepoint, set record level, actually record, remove a splice... Doesn't sound like advanced usage to me?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 am

Dob wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm
electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Dob wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 am

I was all over Morphagene but got set back by the 30 page manual, and pressing (and having to remember) button combinations.
I play Morphagene all day without using any button combos. They’re more for advanced setup and such. I have none memorized and don’t feel handicapped at all by that. You can get all the beautiful MG sounds and play them without any button combos. It’s really much more user-friendly than your impression of it.
Ok.
But doing things like removing a splicepoint, set record level, actually record, remove a splice... Doesn't sound like advanced usage to me?
To record you push the record button. The other things I think of as setup, not jamming, and thus don’t require memorizing. Although I have memorized setting the recording level—record and splice buttons—without even trying. Really, it’s not at all a difficult module to jam on and make sound good. Don’t dismiss it on that account.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:19 am

Dob wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm
synthetic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm
Weird left field idea, for the price of a Morphagene you could get a used iPad, throw an app like Enso on there and be looping like a champ with a much better interface and sampling time. Just need some kind of interface to plug it into the modular.
Well, being a software developer, I'm sick and tired of staring at a screen, when I get home...

I like the tactile feel of knobs and cables, the look of leds. The directness... Being physical. The simplicity of voltages.
Also I like the idea of my setup to be a self contained instrument.
:tu: Yep I totally agree - well I am not a software developer, but I am totally saturated with the computers and screens.
This is also my main reason why I do the recordings with 2x Teac 3340s.

Actually there are two "computerish" modules that I am using (expecially in the live sets they are great).
Monome teletype (you can really easily do lots of logic/decision stuff with this one) and then there is ER-301 - I used to carry many heavy weight tape players to live sets but not anymore... ER-301 can simulate twenty tape players at the same time ... Also it can do lots of sampling tricks, act as a delay, do mixing, etc.
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:37 am

After a lot of internal discussions I ended up buying this
20200131_172901.jpg
It's the Make Noise 7u CV bus case, with the usual suspects Maths and René, a 4ms master clock / divider, Instruo Arbhar, Mimeophon, quad VCA's.

I actually love the compactness. All modules are adorable, just by their sweet petite size!! Very practical to carry around. The engineering on Arbhar is astounding, with that led strip. I love it very much already, but I'm not saying Morphagene won't be added later... This will be my "modular sampler", if you will.

I had so much fun last night, Arbhar is very inspiring to use. Everything is set up to be around it, actually. The internal mic is golden, it let's you keep being in the creative flow, adding a new layer on the fly.

I do feel very thankful to be in the position I could afford this 'starter' setup...

The case is great, being able to close it while patched.

Haven't coupled it with its big 5U brother yet... That must be great fun as well!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Looks great! I have one of those cases too - it's a great travel case.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:42 pm

I used to have both formats mounted in the same cabinets that I built. I grew out of that and have four MU cabinets filled (a fifth waiting for a second Arrick 960 plus trigger buss and e-switch). I have a ton of Euro next to it. I rarely cross patch because I have so much Euro now that I can accommodate my patch wishes (esoteric or standard) there and keep my Mu for heavy leads and sequences. When I just need another utility in Mu it is nice, because the Euro stuff is cheap and already there without taking space. I have three Doepfer A-181 1/4" to 1/8" multiples that make interaction easy. I think I keep them mostly separate because of the way I have conditioned my work flow, but the possibilities are always there and sometimes come to fruition.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 am

I just bought some cables with 1/4'' on one end and 1/8 on the other.

Yesterday I had a great time combining big brother MU with little sister!! Actually only the clock is shared.

Resulted in this atmosphere

I'm stoked about the new possibilities, finally feels like I have enough sound sources and sequencing power to do actual tracks totally inside the modular, at once.

Suineder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Suineder » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:30 am

Dob wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 am
I just bought some cables with 1/4'' on one end and 1/8 on the other.

Yesterday I had a great time combining big brother MU with little sister!! Actually only the clock is shared.

Resulted in this atmosphere
https://soundcloud.com/dob/dobular-1

I'm stoked about the new possibilities, finally feels like I have enough sound sources and sequencing power to do actual tracks totally inside the modular, at once.
That's nice as hell, dude.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm

I recommend a bunch of 1/8"-1/4" mono cables, as well as a converter module on the 5U. At least in my system, the modules are often far enough that the cable runs get very long. So I have those conversion cables running all over.

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:52 am

That Dobular1 sounds really nice! Crispy and moist at the same time.
And yeah your small eurorack system really opens looooots of possibilities. Some great modules you got there.
Maths, Rene and Mimeophone are just :sb: :sb: :sb:
paitapes.bandcamp.com

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:49 pm

synthetic wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm
I recommend a bunch of 1/8"-1/4" mono cables, as well as a converter module on the 5U. At least in my system, the modules are often far enough that the cable runs get very long. So I have those conversion cables running all over.
What cables are people buying that are good quality 1/8" to 1/4" mono?
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:20 pm

https://escapefromnoise.com/kablar/patc ... ll-3-5-mm/

I have been using these for a long time and I have had no problems with them.

They are reliable and the plug stays nicely and firm in the euro holes (as you may know there is no standars in the 3.5mm world - so some of the plugs have really bad connection).
paitapes.bandcamp.com

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:38 pm

I've been using these things for years - - I have maybe a dozen each of the 3 and 5 feet versions. They seem pretty reliable, I haven't had any go bad, unlike the more expensive stackables I have a ton of.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 am

I bought a bunch from ControlMod, their store brand I think. Low profile and good quality. All of my converter cables are grey, just worked that way and easy to see.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am

Thank you sduck and synthetic for your 1/8” to 1/4” cable recommendations, does anyone have any more recommendations from US based retailers that are shorter than 3 feet? With all of the different cv controllers that use 1/8” jacks (Korg SQ-1, Arturia Keystep and Beatstep, etc), I am finding that I need these things, even though I am not interfacing euro gear with 5U.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Henfield wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am
Thank you sduck and synthetic for your 1/8” to 1/4” cable recommendations, does anyone have any more recommendations from US based retailers that are shorter than 3 feet? With all of the different cv controllers that use 1/8” jacks (Korg SQ-1, Arturia Keystep and Beatstep, etc), I am finding that I need these things, even though I am not interfacing euro gear with 5U.
LMNTL has 24” 3.5mm to 1/4” cables. Under $3.00 a cable if you buy a five pack. Available at Perfect Circuit. I have a bunch of them; no complaints.

weirdo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by weirdo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm

I dont know if this is the right thread but for me its vice-versa - i want to compliment my current eurorack with a “small“ 5U-system.
I got some Moslab kobol vco’s, still need to decide which vca‘s and filter/s (is there any nice resonator for 5U and which lowpass filters sound really nice/phat and still precise?). I mostly use Cwejman, Schippmann (and since a few days also Verbos) in Eurorack.

Im searching a psu and busboard atm, -15/15v/dotcom compatible - but first a cabinet.
I got a local guy who can build me a custom cabinet but after i saw the rack from spinach_pizza in this thread i really think about doing something like this, it would compliment my Doepfer G6 racks pretty nice.

Thanks for the cable recommenditions! I want to build the 5U pretty basic, mostly vco’s, filters, vca‘s. Maybe some additional stuff later, lets see..I also like the idea about a small extra case with atts etc. to connect the eurorack with the 5U.

If you got any ideas how to build a small starter cabinet (or 19“ rack, i would prefer this actually) and any psu, busboard, vca and filter recommendations please let me know. (im doing heavy research atm.)

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:25 pm

weirdo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm
...is there any nice resonator for 5U...
Check out the Grove PM resonator (http://synthstore.groveaudio.com/index. ... duct_id=51).

weirdo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by weirdo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:38 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:25 pm
weirdo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm
...is there any nice resonator for 5U...
Check out the Grove PM resonator (http://synthstore.groveaudio.com/index. ... duct_id=51).
Thanks! :tu:

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:53 am

Suineder wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:30 am
That's nice as hell, dude.
sbuge wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:52 am
That Dobular1 sounds really nice! Crispy and moist at the same time.
Thanks guys! That means a lot to me.

Btw I'm using those sduck-endorsed HOSA cables too. And I've made sure that on the right side of the 5U modular I've got a multiple (actually a Hordijk mini Matrix), so I can always prolong a cable that needs to go to the Eurorack realm.

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:29 am

ive been out of modular since 2015ish, the levy finally broke and i started filling out a 104hp skiff plan a few wks ago. i had 66U of 5U in the end last time til i had to do a big sell off before moving country - I only really knew 5U but decided to try the other side of the fence this time. its well daunting trying to figure out whats what in euro - may as well be heiroglyphics :hihi: ! but i think i have a good starter plan.

everything is coming in now, only waiting on the mult and veils... ill build my own case like last time, super excited to get patching again

this is the plan...

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:32 am

ill also mention messing wiht more guitar pedals in the interim has acclimated me to the smaller format. i used to hate the euro finger-room, now its seems about right :miley: :cloud:

sduck

Post by sduck » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm

And speaking of 1/4" to 3.5mm cables, I received a tip on instagram from a lurker about www.tendrilscables.com - they make some nice low profile type adapter cables. Including some nice short ones! The person who tipped me about this wished to remain anonymous (although his initials are JLR).

Return to “5U Format Modules”