How often does your 5U modular move

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

How often do you gig your MU gear

My whole rig travels at least once a month
6%
Part of my rig travels at least once a month
6%
My whole rig travels once or twice a year
13%
Part of my rig travels once or twice a year
13%
My modular never moves but I plan to take it places
6%
My modular never moves and I like it that way
55%

Total votes: 31

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

How often does your 5U modular move

Post by Flareless » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Looking at all the wonderful setups here I got curious as to how often how many of us move our MU modular systems or parts of them.

While I never intended to move my system at first I ended up building a portion of it to be portable. That ended up coming in handy for the one or two times a year that I take a chunk of the system somewhere.

The walnut cabinets never travel though. Too much trouble.

I honestly don't know how Noddy's Puncture does it :hail: :yay:

My present setup with the monolithic cabinet and a few portable parts
IMG_3151.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

zeta
Common Wiggler

Re: How often does your MU modular move

Post by zeta » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Oops, pushed whole, meant part!
All together in the hut
710ED6D7-63F9-4DC3-816B-69EAC165B77E.jpeg
And some out there...in the wild
F2A34B5F-F422-4B87-9E7F-C58D217B436A.jpeg
CFB90F93-4B11-4CC7-9F6E-0ACE84701227.jpeg
534CD793-8970-4162-8465-31CCB5CC43AB.jpeg
And it’s +- this setup
3B7BD90C-9810-4CFD-8BAD-4B20A3392FCA.jpeg
They’re from 2019, one setup is missing.
Prepping for 02.2020
35km radius though, fer now.!? :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racks'NTracks ig.welt_am_draht

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Wow!! :woah: Excellent pictures Zeta!

Thank you for sharing.

I really like the tabletop rack you have in the second picture from the top (next to your beer). Is it DIY? Could you please share the plans if they're available?
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 am

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:54 am

14625_858204647568911_3122676353946071248_n.jpg
Most of mine out for a stroll.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 am

Flareless wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm
While I never intended to move my system at first I ended up building a portion of it to be portable. That ended up coming in handy for the one or two times a year that I take a chunk of the system somewhere.
It's pretty much the same for me. I have two 22-space portable cabinets on top of a custom 48-space studio cabinet. Each cabinet can act as an independent system.

The top-right cabinet was my very first system and is pretty much a dotcom Portable-22 system with a couple of differences (older MIDI interface, second filter and reverb instead of newer MIDI interface+aid and ring modulator). I sometimes use just this system for synth talks and demos in science events.... kids absolutely love it... some are even scared by the sounds it makes :twisted:

The top-left cabinet has all the sequencing stuff. In very few occasions I have taken this cabinet along the other one for small shows or talks about modular synths. For gigs it's much easier for me to just bring my eurorack setup, but in a couple of larger shows I took both 22-space cabinets, the eurorack, mostly pre-patched, and a machinedrum (see picture below).

Full system:

Small 22-space system at science fair (I love this pic):

Two cabinets + eurorack + machinedrum (comes with audio):
Last edited by fac on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:46 am

Nice setups guys!

Fac, what do you use your patch panel for?
Rich

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:57 am

Flareless wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:46 am
Nice setups guys!

Fac, what do you use your patch panel for?
Thanks! There is a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer below the modular system. The patchbay is connected to the mixer's inputs, so I can easily take whatever output from the modular and send it to a mixer channel via the patchbay. The last four channels of the patchbay are connected to the inputs and outputs of the Alesis Midiverb II below it, so I can route any voice from the modular through the Alesis. The other two effect units (Zoom RFX-1000 and Lexicon MPX-100) are connected via the mixer's aux sends and returns, so they can be applied to all voices.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 am

Wow Zeta. Cool setups. Is that an Alexis MMT-8 Midi Recorder? I used to use an HR 16 drum machine but never got to use the MMT-8. I used a C64 to record and sequence Midi back in the 80’s. Later I moved to a better computer system with Master Tracks Pro by Passport. Ah... the memories of ancient systems.

I checked the “never move it” selection. My original intent was to have a somewhat portable setup. I built a large triple rack unit on wheels with a steel brace backbone for the portable Dotcom cabs to mount and be stable. I still have this in the studio but moving it is more a matter of cable dragging than anything. No way I’m moving it unless it is to a new studio someday. I have a few more cabs in storage with tons of 5U modules so I can grab and go with them, but I live in a fairly remote and small community which has no real venue to perform at. An excuse I know but I just haven’t had the interest in live performance for years. Maybe someday. It might be a lot of fun.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: How often does your 5U modular move

Post by sduck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 pm

I took most of my 5U to Knobcon in 2014. Fortunately I had a pretty big SUV at the time. While I'm glad I did it, it was a fairly large process to actually roll the thing in and out several times, and set it up twice.
_SDD9389.jpg
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:48 pm

I chose the once or twice a year option. Mainly because that was closest to reality but I doubt that it has been as often as that. Certain years it went out twice or so. :hihi: I would be in serious back pain if I lugged all that around much; plus, it won’t fit in my vehicle. Would have to rent a U-Haul or borrow a van, all this to play for an audience of two. :yay: :yay:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 pm

My over spec'd 3/4" Birch plywood homemade ghetto cases are bolted to the wall and insured x 2 (Instrument and Earthquake). I live in So Cal so stuff gets shaky and tippy. If I was to play out, it would be monosynths, boutiques, loopers/samplers and maybe some Euro modular.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:52 am

I have a soft bag for 16u(2x8u) but my MU modular system has never left my home.

For jams/live gigs I have portable euro system, mu tracks are always played as backing tracks without any shame from my side.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:42 am

I have 2x box11 and couple of diy cabinets for live occasions. So usually I travel with reasonable amount of gear.
BUT sometimes (like once a year) I grab more modules with me and have fun :sb:
Here is one short memory couple of years ago:

And more recent one with small amount of gear (I had 2x minidisk players and then box11 + small diy cabinet functioned as a effect units for my prerecorded material)
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 pm

I answered ''Never, and I'm happy that way'" but secretly I envy all those that said their 5U modular moves. My modular is mounted in three 12U 19" racks, two have side handles for lifting. I have watched them carefully over a number of weeks including surveillance with hidden webcams, they haven't moved even a tiny bit. I've even tried turning up the bass response on my amp to max, but still they remain firmly in place. I feel as if I'm missing out.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 pm

eljay, my understanding is that they only move in response to direct orders from cats.

Seriously, I would love to take mine out occasionally to cons and such, and give people a chance to play with it. Unfortunately, the case I'm using now (the one I built) is not really road-worthy, and now that it's almost fully loaded, it requires two people to lift. Maybe someday.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

I hate to admit it, but one of the things that made me go with 5u was the thread on here about the dotcom calendar photo of the synth that was too big to steal.

IRRC, some thieves broke into someone’s home and tried to abscond with a full 44 space 5u cabinet only to abandon it a few feet from the house because it was too much to carry.
Insert pithy statement here

Return to “5U Format Modules”