Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Would you buy a ES Disting Mk.4 in Synthesizers.Com format?

Yes
62%
No
31%
Depends on if there is one (1) or two (2) Distings behind a 1MU panel.
7%

Total votes: 29

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by Thorsday » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/disting.html

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=175310&start=1725

The flashy 3.5mm jacks would be present and normalized to 1/4" jacks, juxtaposed in the same relative layout just below, and, both sets will be essentially simultaneously available. 1/4" jacks native only will save space.

The euro-centric jacks and push encoders will nut to the 5U panel, and the stock knobs will be replaced with small Cosmo knobs, staying uniform with the format.

A +\-15V to +\-12V converter with Synthesizers.Com power header will be built in. The circuit runs safely at +\-15V. There will simply be a Euro to Dotcom power header adapter. Although it does draw a lot of current on the + rail.

Panels will be Synthesizers.Com blanks, silkscreened with applicable reference designators.

Should there be a simple passive multiple added to the 1MU panel, MIDI I/O on five pin DIN sockets implemented, or should two (2) Distings be mounted for a dual channels jobber?

I am trying to gauge and decide on quantity for a first run. :help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thorsday on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by sduck » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

I'm not really sure how you're going to fit 2 of those behind a 1 MU panel. I suppose it could be done.

A really nice multi-tool in a similar vein would be an ornament and crime - that would also fit well in a 1 MU panel.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm

I selected “yes” and “it depends...” since this is my best answer right now :despair: maybe a two unit panel would work? :hyper:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 am

Disting destroys Ornament & Crime...

sduck

Post by sduck » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:41 am

Thorsday wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 am
I have both, and that's completely incorrect. They are very different things.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am

sduck wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:41 am
Thorsday wrote:
So you find the quality of algorithms and means of manipulation/work flow to be very different?

What I should have said was, Disting Mk4 ticks all of the boxes for my intents and purposes, where O&C would not compliment my modular as well. I already have NLC Chaos and ASR modules... A strong sequencer selection, switches, quadrature LFO, bouncing ball envelope generators and so on. The overlap role O_C plays is more so than Disting, in my opinion. That being said, Disting will have an overlapping role, as well, but there are a handful of algorithms Disting brings to the modular that I do not already have or I can use secondaries of, with absolute certainty.

Do you have the Mk4 Disting, or an earlier one?

sduck

Post by sduck » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47 am

Thorsday wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am
sduck wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:41 am
Thorsday wrote:
So you find the quality of algorithms and means of manipulation/work flow to be very different?

What I should have said was, Disting Mk4 ticks all of the boxes for my intents and purposes, where O&C would not compliment my modular as well. I already have NLC Chaos and ASR modules... A strong sequencer selection, switches, quadrature LFO, bouncing ball envelope generators and so on. The overlap role O_C plays is more so than Disting, in my opinion. That being said, Disting will have an overlapping role, as well, but there are a handful of algorithms Disting brings to the modular that I do not already have or I can use secondaries of, with absolute certainty.

Do you have the Mk4 Disting, or an earlier one?
I have the new one, upgraded to whatever the newest firmware is. And yes, it has a lot more "stuff" available, although some of them are not the greatest implementation of said stuff. I find that the o+c and the disting actually complement each other well - the o+c does quantization and multiple complex envelopes really well, and you can have 4 at a time - whereas the audio processing - reverbs and delays in disting are nice to have, especially in such a small package. When I pack up my euro travel case, I put both in there. But it really depends on your needs and tastes, right? So if you could only have just one (and who wants to be limited like that?) you might want to investigate further, determine which one hits the most sweet spots.

Oh, and JLR pointed out to me that because Free State FX totally rocks, the o+c is already available in MU 1U form - https://www.noisebug.net/collections/mo ... ment-crime
108_1024x1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 am

Not been following Disting since I got a Mk1, ( or earlier when OS previewed it at a synth meet for me).

but no Eurojacks please, not useful and possibly an eyesore.

flashing 1/4 jacks if such a thing exists, as you need it to gauge LFO rate etc.

also if there are behind panel things such as MIDI/SD card, it would be great to have that on the front panel. I never really change my synth and dont like to have to unscrew panels from wood rails if I can help it.

happy to have one unit per 1U panel and also happy to have a multiple if there is space, but honestly make the panel work for the format.

I often wonder, why OS and other makers dont just do 5U PCBs and let the DIY/other makers do the hard work.

I would prefer a larger dot matrix screen but not possible on a simple euro>5U conversion.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am

hamildad wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 am
Not been following Disting since I got a Mk1, ( or earlier when OS previewed it at a synth meet for me).

but no Eurojacks please, not useful and possibly an eyesore.

flashing 1/4 jacks if such a thing exists, as you need it to gauge LFO rate etc.

also if there are behind panel things such as MIDI/SD card, it would be great to have that on the front panel. I never really change my synth and dont like to have to unscrew panels from wood rails if I can help it.

happy to have one unit per 1U panel and also happy to have a multiple if there is space, but honestly make the panel work for the format.

I often wonder, why OS and other makers dont just do 5U PCBs and let the DIY/other makers do the hard work.

I would prefer a larger dot matrix screen but not possible on a simple euro>5U conversion.
Thank you... I agree completely.

SD Card slot is on the front on Mk4.

Now, I have arrived at the following decisions:

1. To omit the 3.5mm jacks, largely due to the fact that ES has the charge to do so... I can receive PCB's in quantity, fully populated, without jacks installed. Andrew Ostler actually holds the patent for these fancy jacks, so, perhaps down the line, a 1/4" socket could come about? Not on this run, or anytime soon, though.

2. Five-pin DIN MIDI IN and OUT sockets.

More to come...

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:14 am

It is a possibility that bi-color, through panel LED visual indicators will be worked in. So the flashy jacks will not be missed...

I think each LED should be mounted alongside its respective jack.

Juice is not worth the squeeze on this endeavor.
Last edited by Thorsday on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Hello,

I like the Disting a lot, like people say is the eurorack swiss knive. However I am not busing as much as I should.

Seeing what I have (or more important, what my system lacks) what do you think would be the best Disting mk4 programs I should try off?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1112582

I work with ableton, I want to use mutan brain to sequence DFAM (2 note, velocity plus modulation wheel) and to send different clock divisions, SQ1 can act as cv modulator or sequencer, depending how I feel.

I use Kermit as LFOs or 3rd OSC for DFAM, sometimes 0-Coast Contour to give DFAM a proper amp envelope. I love DFAM as a synth too

Regards

PD--I think this post should go to the main Disting mk4 thread, I did not realise this was a different one

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12 am

seta666 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:48 pm
I like the Disting a lot, like people say is the eurorack swiss knive... I think this post should go to the main Disting mk4 thread, I did not realise this was a different one
Me too, and apparently eight other wigglers who read the 5U forum.

As for taking this to the main thread... I disagree. Now, when I have a finished Synthesizers.Com format Disting Mk4 operational, I will post a pic in the main thread, for certain.

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 am

Thorsday wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12 am
As for taking this to the main thread... I disagree. Now, when I have a finished Synthesizers.Com format Disting Mk4 operational, I will post a pic in the main thread, for certain.
I mean my own post, I thought I was writing in the main Disting mk4 for eurorack as I was asking for advice.

By the way, you " 5U people " :mrgreen: also deserve to have a disting mk4 in your rack, it is great module..

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:15 am

I would certainly like a Disting Mk4 in MU!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:08 pm

Faustgeist wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:15 am
I would certainly like a Disting Mk4 in MU!
Yeah I also think it would be a great module to have in MU.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am

The brand new disting would rock, and might just fit in 1U!

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingEX.html
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:19 am

Faustgeist wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am
The brand new disting would rock, and might just fit in 1U!

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingEX.html
That would be nice behind a 1U panel

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Haha... I did not see that coming. A DeuxDisting. DuDisting. I'll stick with my old-fangled onesie Mk4 for the times being...

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:47 am

Well that looks pretty nice :tu:

ariyo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ariyo » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm
Haha... I did not see that coming. A DeuxDisting. DuDisting. I'll stick with my old-fangled onesie Mk4 for the times being...
Awesome. I would love to get one when you have them done!

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 am

ariyo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm
Thorsday wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm
Awesome. I would love to get one when you have them done!
Thanks... However... Since Disting EX has been announced, I don't think these would do so hot. Does everyone agree with that notion and would want a EX instead? It would definitely be 2 units wide.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Hello Thorsday,

If you have already made a batch of Disting Mk4s in MU, then I am certainly interested in purchasing one. If you are going to re-tool and move toward the EX instead - please put me down for one of those as well :)

~R

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Wed May 13, 2020 8:50 pm

Faustgeist wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm
Hello Thorsday,

If you have already made a batch of Disting Mk4s in MU, then I am certainly interested in purchasing one. If you are going to re-tool and move toward the EX instead - please put me down for one of those as well :)

~R
I only have the prototype in the photo. These ports are slow going... I will re tool for EX. The processing speed and it being doubly is just too tempting. Such a useful module when cabinet real estate is a real limitation. Learning curve is easier than expected, too.

ariyo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ariyo » Fri May 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:50 pm
Faustgeist wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm
Hello Thorsday,

~R
I only have the prototype in the photo. These ports are slow going... I will re tool for EX. The processing speed and it being doubly is just too tempting. Such a useful module when cabinet real estate is a real limitation. Learning curve is easier than expected, too.
Yes please put me down for an EX as well.

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Put me down for one as well!

Return to “5U Format Modules”