Grove Audio 294A build

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Grove Audio 294A build

Post by daveholiday » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:52 am

Hey all,

I know several of you have the Grove 294A filter in your rigs. Did anybody build one from a kit? And if so did you have any discrepancies between schematics and parts supplied? I have built mine but have a resistor value and a capacitor value that don't match the schematic provided.

Johns kits are top notch and the build documentation is very thorough, but as we all know, John is sometimes hard to reach. No disrespect...I love hanging out with him at Knobcon!

Anyway if anyone has any help or advice it would be much appreciated!

PS Specifics: on the audio board schematics show R2 as 330 ohm, resistor provided is 220. also on the audio board C30 is shown as 2.2uF cap provided is 10uF.
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Grove Audio 294A build

Post by burdij » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am

Sorry, I sent the info by email yesterday but sometimes my emails end up in junk mail, I think because it comes from the dreaded hotmail servers. The C30 value is 10uF and the R2 value is 220 Ohms. I will try to get that corrected in the docs. Good luck with the assembly.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:21 pm

burdij wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am
Sorry, I sent the info by email yesterday but sometimes my emails end up in junk mail, I think because it comes from the dreaded hotmail servers. The C30 value is 10uF and the R2 value is 220 Ohms. I will try to get that corrected in the docs. Good luck with the assembly.
JOHN!!

Thanks so much for the reply....I have built everything already so I just need to solder in two correct parts! And then on to calibration...thanks again for the reply!!

Adam

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm

So I just got done with the final assembly of the G294A and it works!! This is only my 4th DIY build so I am still a bit nervous when it comes to the outcome! I still need to do a bit of tweaking to my 1V/Oct settings but I stopped the calibration when it was close to make sure it actually worked.

John puts together a fantastic kit with literally everything you need aside from a soldering iron and a few tools! The documentation is very extensive and ,aside from the 2 minor discrepancies I found, will guide you through every step.

As for the sound...very traditional and very Moogish! Excellent 1U offering if any of you are in the market for such...great job John!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:55 pm

:yay: Good job DH!

Oscillators are a tough build. Calibration can be tricky and lots of fun :bang:

There is an excellent VCO tuning application you can check out at this thread. I find the app very helpful.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Flareless wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:55 pm
:yay: Good job DH!

Oscillators are a tough build. Calibration can be tricky and lots of fun :bang:

There is an excellent VCO tuning application you can check out at this thread. I find the app very helpful.
I am not brave enough to try an osc. build at this point! The G294A is a Moog 904A replica....just trying to fine tune the filter tracking for 1v/oct!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:55 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm
I am not brave enough to try an osc. build at this point! The G294A is a Moog 904A replica....just trying to fine tune the filter tracking for 1v/oct!
Ahhh - my mistake! I didn't notice it was a filter. :oops:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Pity that JLR left these parts. I remember he built a g294a kit and then did a demo that made me interested in buying one.

Of course now that I think of it, I need a Grove PM resonator (ok, ordered this morning thanks to reading this thread.)
Insert pithy statement here

Return to “5U Format Modules”