A filter, and then another filter in the patch

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

A filter, and then another filter in the patch

Post by Putte » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 pm

I´m considering getting another filter, which has led me to search the forum for demos and comments on the subject. Every here and there someone mentions patching two filters in a row. I´ve never tried that, but I sure will the coming weekend. I don´t really have any specific questions about it, or perhaps I have too many to figure one out to start with. So, I just post this topic and hope there are some of you willing to share your experiences in the area.
If there are any suggestions, my current list of filters is: Sea devils filter, Croglin, Q107, Journeyman, Q150 and a C101 OTA mkII. There is also one beloved Discrete ladder filter, but it´s at the moment undergoing repair

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A filter, and then another filter in the patch

Post by SynthBaron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm

With two (or more) filters, you can do this:

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:50 pm

not interested in vocal sounding filters.. but all my modular 'voices ' have two filters.. it allows taming of the first filter and creative shaping steeper slopes + many other different tricks..

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Korg MS20 has two filters in series, as do other performance synths. There is also a selection of dual-filter modules many of which permit switching the order of the filters as well as switching between series and parallel, mostly in eurorack however. The point being combining filters is a common patch.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:50 pm
Korg MS20 has two filters in series, as do other performance synths. There is also a selection of dual-filter modules many of which permit switching the order of the filters as well as switching between series and parallel, mostly in eurorack however. The point being combining filters is a common patch.
Actually, he has a Croglin, which is a dual filter, though not independent. I have one - great filter!

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:25 am

I very rarely use parallel filtering... When I think of parallel processing, I think of using that approach with reverb, delay, pitch shifting... At least I do that with select effects in my guitar setup.

Employing different envelopes or modulation to two or more filters in series makes for different and more possibilities with respect to motion.

If you have effects with Wet only outputs, it is also fun to filter for example, reverb or delay trails. Filter motion on long(er) reverb decay, especially sounds interesting to me.

Also try using a lowpass filter to process LFO's. Slow up/speed down.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:50 pm
The CGS49 Dual Wasp Filter from Lower West Side Studio, which he builds in MU format, has the ability to switch between series and parallel. Each Filter is multi mode (LP, BP, HP, and notch), which allows for a lot of experimentation with your sound!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 am

It’s a common thing to have two filters in series for me. Mostly a secondary high pass filter or band pass after the main patched sound. This allows me to roll off any low frequencies that may interfere with a bass sound or popping due to a too fast attack on an envelope.
Don’t forget the mighty Fixed Filter Bank!

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am

one thing prople who dont use two filters may not know is how the second filter shapes the envelope ..it can act like a gate truncating or lenthening the envelope in a very natural way so instead of moving the for adsr knobs/sliders you can use just the cut off .. and the is also cv'able so you can add life/movement to a seqeunce easily..

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Lots of ideas here, thanks. I´ll bring them with me tomorrow. It´s allways nice to add new ways to use old modules.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm in the Eurorack world but the concepts are the same - I have a couple of WMD Micro Hadron Colliders (yes, the Eurorack penchant for oddball names can be troublesome) which is a dual multi-mode filter in one panel that has lots of internal routing options. It also has an internal mixer with a separate out. It is switchable between series or parallel use and the CV control can be shared or separate.

The common series use is to make wide band-pass filters with separate resonance on the lower or upper slopes. This can track together or can move independent (or both) and you can have a BP that dynamically changes width while moving its "center frequency" around.

The inverse is also possible too of course - wide Notch filter with separate resonance on the lower or upper slopes.
The module looks like this:
HadronCollider.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am

Multiple VCF's - Sometimes just use one as a static non-vc filter to shape a waveform into another VCF that is indeed controlled by a voltage. Use a filter to shape the tone of a typical patch at the very end. Put a different VCF on each waveform out from the same VCO. Control each of the VCF's with slow sines and then feed them into a mixer into another VCF with ADSR or whatever control.

Fun stuff.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 am

Tried it for a while yesterday. Not as fun as I expected, until I started focusing on the Q107. Lately, I´ve been playing with it´s outputs in parallell, mixing them. I thought, what if I send one of them, nootch for instance, to another filter first? That kind of serial filtering could be something I have to explore further.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am

Putte wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 am
I thought, what if I send one of them, nootch for instance, to another filter first? That kind of serial filtering could be something I have to explore further.
Heck yeah! :sb: :hihi: I like feeding the notch back into the attenuated input on the Q107. Never thought of using a second filter.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 pm

My favorite is
vcf, then spring reverb, then vcf :love:
Especially the style Ersatzplanet described, variable bandwith bandpass and bandstop...
(like also the Hordijk vcf)
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 pm
My favorite is
vcf, then spring reverb, then vcf :love:
Especially the style Ersatzplanet described, variable bandwith bandpass and bandstop...
I used to play with a guitarist in College and we did filter>echo>filter and that was very nice. LFO on the first filter and you had these cascading echos. The filter was inside the echo loop so each echo was different IIRC.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:21 pm

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 pm
My favorite is vcf, then spring reverb, then vcf :love:
Since the LPF of a 2500 is tied to the VCA, one often finds MM filter into LP filter with that synth. And since there's usually a 2600 near most 2500's, filter-RVB-Filter becomes another goto.

If more people had this experience, there would be fewer so readily accepting B2600s with digital reverb.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm
I used to play with a guitarist in College and we did filter>echo>filter and that was very nice. LFO on the first filter and you had these cascading echos. The filter was inside the echo loop so each echo was different IIRC.
The reverb method can create sounds totally reminiscent of gregorian chants etc. with
tuned VCO input, but I love it also with the Tudor no-input/feedback style that fascinates me
me more nowadays... :party:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Return to “5U Format Modules”