Modules upside down

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Modules upside down

Post by Putte » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Is it just me, or did anyone else ever mount a module upside down, almost finishing the screws before realizing something looks wrong? It happened today, and I have to admit there have been at least two more occasions of that. Fortunately all or maybe two of those times have been the case of multiples, being close to symmetrical Today it was the M594, and I almost finished the second screw before the text on the panel gave me a clue. Anyone else been that tired?

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Re: Modules upside down

Post by Moerder » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:47 pm

you make it sound like that's something wrong oO mounting a module upside down might make a whole lot of sense for ergonomic or other reasons. it will perform the same thing but it might make it more accessible within the rest of your setup..apart from that, looking at the module before doing anything could help :P

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Often a module that should be a performance module, not that is meant to be played by hand, has the jacks in the wrong place for a horizontal skiff install. These are often mounted upside down when used like this. I have two AS joysticks and the panel art is 180 degrees from each other and after some research, I figured out that one was a standard RS-220 for panel mounting with the jacks at the bottom, and the other was from their French Connection keyboard and has the jacks at the top. Their webpage for the standard RS-220 is confusing now because it shows the FC version in the picture, but shows the cabinet one in the PDF of the owner's manual.

Since I make performance controllers, all my modules are designed with the jacks at the top, or as mirrored panels (the SP-4DP and SP-1P) so they can be mounted either way.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:42 am

No, I didn´t mean wrong in general. I meant by accident. During the years on this forum I´vecome to learn that there is no wrong, if modules don´t need repair afterwards. Accidents do happen, though. Yesterday I spent half an hour trouble shooting, since there was this low frequent bass like sound coming out the speakers, even though all VCA:s ahd their knobs turn to bottom values. Finally I unpatched everything but the VCA:s and the cables connected to them. Still, a low sawtooth annoyed me. The only thing that silenced it was unplugging the cable going to the mixer.

This was a krisp1 Dual VCA, and I´ve only been using Q108:s earlier It turned out I had patched it in the same order as the Q108:s, because they are too high up in the system I barely se the labels on them. In other words, I had mixed up signal and gate. That was a mistake, but I´m sure there might be those of you doing this on purpose, for reasons I don´t understand. Perpaps beause it´s impoosible to sleep without a sawtooth bass tone going on all night, I don´t know.

Of coarse, I know modules work whatever compass bearing you mount them in, power supplied or not.

Return to “5U Format Modules”