MOTM Filter Bank that never was

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

MOTM Filter Bank that never was

Post by synthetic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm

This was from a "MOTM coming soon" announcement from Feb 2009 that I saved. Does anyone know if the FDNR filter bank was ever released in another form, as DIY or some other brand?

I love "which explains the relative higher cost." Even the Dotcom filter bank is $319 (with more bands.)

MOTM-450 Fixed Filter Bank
No price, guessing $299 assembled
Estimated delivery: Summer 2009.
The MOTM-450 Fixed Filter Bank is an improved version of the classic Moog 907A Filter Bank. The MOTM-450 contains 8 bandpass filters, a lowpass filter and a high-pass filter. Instead of bulky inductors and handmatched capacitors used in the '907A, the MOTM-450 uses a special class of active filters called a FDNR (pronounced FUD-NER), which stands for Frequency Dependent Negative Reactance. The FDNR simulates the phase response as well as the frequency response of the LRC Moog circuit. Other fixed filter banks use more 'standard' filter topologies, which do NOT sound the same as the FDNR/Moog 907A circuitry. The disadvantage is that the FDNR requires 3X more parts, which explains the relative higher cost of the MOTM-450 module. However, the sonic quality difference is obvious, as is the 12dB lower noise floor compared to other fixed filter banks (that's 4 TIMES lower). The
controls include a WET/DRY mix (like on the MOTM-410) and a manual/remote IN/OUT bypass. An LED indicates EQ IN use. The module has an expansion connector
450_proto.jpg
m450_3u.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MOTM Filter Bank that never was

Post by SynthBaron » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:56 pm

I was just thinking about it the other day, and IIRC It was based on this:

http://jhaible.com/legacy/ffb/fixed_filter_bank.html

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am

I should have guessed it was a Haible design. Are his designs still in legal limbo?

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:50 am

theyre owned by random source now

http://jhaible.com/

doing good stuff imo, updating and keeping the designs alive. they sell the fixed filter banks fwiw

i just virtually spent a fortune there.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 pm

I want the assembled one for $299 :(

I swore off DIY. Except for cabinets, power, and cables. No more 50% working modules for me.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Ping Paul Schreiber. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Actually this would be a really cool thing to add to my wall of MOTM - hmmm. I may have to get a few of those pcb's.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 pm

LOL Paul strung us along for 10 years. "I'm going to make more MOTM, I have the parts. But Euro pays the bills. But I love MOTM. But it's too expensive to build. But here are 5 new modules coming in 2010. I just have to get through this kit backlog. OK, MOTM 4.0..." :)

But I was admiring the build quality on my MOTM stuff and just, wow. Nothing has come close. The knobs, panels, audio quality, everything was just 5 stars. Like buttah.

However I am seriously done with DIY electronics, so it's a MU system for me next.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am

synthetic wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 pm
However I am seriously done with DIY electronics, so it's a MU system for me next.
I hear ya. Life's too short for DIY. (At least, it is when you reach my age...)

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm

synthetic wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 pm
LOL Paul strung us along for 10 years. "I'm going to make more MOTM, I have the parts. But Euro pays the bills. But I love MOTM. But it's too expensive to build. But here are 5 new modules coming in 2010. I just have to get through this kit backlog. OK, MOTM 4.0..." :)
Don't forget that during that era a lot of the thru-hole parts were discontinued, especially the OTA's and matched transistor pairs that were abundant in MOTM. IIRC, Paul said he would have had to redesign many of the modules because of that reality. And I'm sure having to invest thousands of dollars custom ordering the pots used in 5U didn't help any...

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 pm

Oh god the whole mess is coming back to me now, from the yahoo groups days.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 am

Don't forget the MOTM 600 saga of maybe 2-3 years ago - Paul announced that he was "thinking" of resurrecting his sequencer design, which actually got built, there's one existing version of it out there. Numerous posts on facebook ensued, the crowd got worked into a frenzy, Paul was enthusiastic, lists of committed buyers were made, and then.... nothing. It died.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 am

I think Paul was talking about a 650 reissue around 2009, but I knew better than to place any hope in getting one any time soon. So instead of waiting a few years (or never being released at all) I bought an Oakley MIDI to CV instead.

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Yes I finally wound up bidding on a 650 in an auction run by Paul, after hoping to just buy one the normal way for many years.
Or is there really a normal way to pursue this hobby of mine? :sarcasm: :mrgreen:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I feel like his intentions are good. I was hoping that he would port the old stuff to SMC then offer converter panels in 5U. But he’s moved on to crazy DSP modules with displays that wouldn’t be easy to port. I was hoping for a Morphing Terrarium with a decent looking panel but it never happened. At least the Euro folks are happy. :cry:

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:34 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 am
I think Paul was talking about a 650 reissue
Nope, it was definitely the 600 from that same announcement in 2009 as in the OP that he was talking about just 2-3 years ago. He has also made similar "announcements" about the 650, but it usually involves him finding old boards in his closet or whatever.

Edit: I found a post on Matrixsynth that seems to indicate that it was earlier than 2009 - I seem to remember it being in 2006 - https://www.matrixsynth.com/2006/09/new ... dules.html

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 am

I’m surprised that FSfx, SSL, or some other entrepreneur never ported Synth Tech stuff to MU. I know that the E950/1 and the E330 can run on 15v and I think most/all before those can as well. If Paul was contacted by one of them they might even be able to get the loaded PCBs with out the knobs mounted on the boards.

My memory about the sequencer is a bit fuzzy now, but IIRC there was programming that was not completed or would need to be redone (or maybe it was just lost altogether). Fuzzy.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 am

MrNezumi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 am
If Paul was contacted by one of them they might even be able to get the loaded PCBs with out the knobs mounted on the boards.
I'm sure that could be arranged, but I don't think there's enough enough meat on the bone to make it worthwhile for a commercial builder to even pay wholesale dealer cost for an assembled module board and then try and resell it at a reasonable cost.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Yes, there have been a few ports of the e350 and such -

ImageSynthesis Technology e350 Morphing Terrarium front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

ImageMOTM e350 Morphing Terrarium front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

ImageMotm e340 front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

ImageSynthesis Technology e560 front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

ImageMOTM e580 front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

And I've made a few of these for other people besides myself, but as synthbaron says, it's a bunch of work to make these, and you'd have to charge too much to actually make any reasonable builder's fee after paying Paul for the guts and paying for the hardware. So the few I sold I was basically doing for free.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:34 pm

rps20200203_173916.jpg
I have a morphing terrarium in MU from Analog Craftsmen. It is a thing of beauty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Return to “5U Format Modules”