The Moon modular M506

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

The Moon modular M506

Post by Putte » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:20 am

I´ve been searching for thoughts and Reviews on the M506 filter, but haven´t found much. I´ve watched the few demos around (Youtube), but they don´t give me much.
Looking at the panel, there are some things I like and some not so appealing. Having separate control of frequency and resonance is very useful to me. On the other hand, a 2U filter with only one signal input.... Why? Then, of coarse, there is the built in VCA. What´s the big advantage, being able to put the filter in the end of the patch (instead of a VCA)?
Most of all, though, I wonder about the sound. Any thoughts on that?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Moon modular M506

Post by josaka » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:10 am

to be honest.. its v similar to the .com Q150..
seems a lot buy it and shunt it on as it lacks magic..
I found this with the 517s as well.. something like the oakley journeyman imparts a lot more character for me..
one of the biggest problems in 5u is you are often going on one demo to judge the sound character..and have to buy to try.. suffice to say.. moon filters are not my thing :)

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks for the straight forward answer. The Q150 was my first filter. I thought it would be an okey filter to start with, a work horse until I got warmed up and perhaps could buy better ones (more expensive). After getting more, a Journeyman for example, the Q150 still was a favourite. Then I got the Discrete ladder filter. I still consider the Q150 to be a great filter, but I´m not sure I´ll pay twice the Money to get something similar. On the other hand, I´ve got six different filters. It may be difficult to find something that doesn´t remind me of the others.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 pm

I think my answer may be slightly skewed as I always use two filters in series..
this is where the journeyman shines.. the modulation and drive are diff from the q150 on the moon..
for that money I think i would be heading for the new jupiter filter..

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 am

I must admit, it has caught my attention too. It looks great, but I haven´t that much experience in the Jupiters. I wish there were more filter demos in general, and I hope one for the JP6 gets published as production starts (any time now, I guees). I´ve red several Reviews on the Jupiter 6, mentioning its filter perhaps being better than that of the Jp8. A few years ago I got the opportunity to try the JP6, but only for a short while. Therefore, it made no huge impression on me. Also, it I tried it with a dry sound. I know that´s how most says synths and their filter should be tested, but not me.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 am

https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/sets/c101-mkii

another very good roland 4pole cascaded OTA that sounds great.. cant see me going for the jp6 one seem to overlap a lot..

https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/sets/c110demos ..another good one..

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am

Just a small correction if I may. The JP-8 (and JP-4, SH-101, Juno-6, SH-1, SH-2, SH-09, 100M, JX-3p and others) filter is a cascaded OTA filter. Four identical OTA low pass sections cascaded together to create a one 24db/octave low pass filter. Resonance is applied from the final output back to the input to produce resonance. Roland altered the details of the circuit over the years so different synths with the same basic filter topology sound different. In the 5U world you get this same topology from the Corsynth C101 and the Oakley COTA. The MOTM440 may also be considered as one too but uses a different OTA circuit.

The JP-6 (and Alpha Junos, JX-8P and JX-10) use two cascaded state variable filters (SVF). Although there are four OTAs in such a circuit, they are not cascaded in the above sense since each SVF is a separate filter block made from two integrators with two feedback paths within. For the -24dB/octave mode you are hearing then the LP output of the second filter which receives its signal from the LP output of the first.

A twin cascaded SVF sounds different to the standard cascade - although at low resonance both are very similar. I found when I compared directly the JP-6 and JP-8 together the biggest difference between the two synths was not the filters, or the VCOs, but the shape of the envelopes. However, the differences between the filter types is most obvious at high resonance. I would expect that the overdrive characteristics of each are very different too - although in each of the Jupiter synths you don't actually have control over the VCO level and hence how hard you drive the filters.

Tony

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Doesn’t Davit have an all-Moon system? His stuff sounds pretty great. But I don’t know for sure what’s in his system. Check out his videos though.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Great info Tony thanks for the effort ! :)
the slopes and shapes of ADSR's are often overlooked as having much creative importance.. after I got your ADSR/VCA looper.. the .coms had to go..(the ++ are different!) ..the different shapes and control of the STG Labs ADSR is quite something as well..

Synthbuilder wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am
Just a small correction if I may. The JP-8 (and JP-4, SH-101, Juno-6, SH-1, SH-2, SH-09, 100M, JX-3p and others) filter is a cascaded OTA filter. Four identical OTA low pass sections cascaded together to create a one 24db/octave low pass filter. Resonance is applied from the final output back to the input to produce resonance. Roland altered the details of the circuit over the years so different synths with the same basic filter topology sound different. In the 5U world you get this same topology from the Corsynth C101 and the Oakley COTA. The MOTM440 may also be considered as one too but uses a different OTA circuit.

The JP-6 (and Alpha Junos, JX-8P and JX-10) use two cascaded state variable filters (SVF). Although there are four OTAs in such a circuit, they are not cascaded in the above sense since each SVF is a separate filter block made from two integrators with two feedback paths within. For the -24dB/octave mode you are hearing then the LP output of the second filter which receives its signal from the LP output of the first.

A twin cascaded SVF sounds different to the standard cascade - although at low resonance both are very similar. I found when I compared directly the JP-6 and JP-8 together the biggest difference between the two synths was not the filters, or the VCOs, but the shape of the envelopes. However, the differences between the filter types is most obvious at high resonance. I would expect that the overdrive characteristics of each are very different too - although in each of the Jupiter synths you don't actually have control over the VCO level and hence how hard you drive the filters.

Tony

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 am

I´ve got:
.com Q107
STG Sea devils filter
Lower eastside Discrete ladder filter
krisp1 Croglin filter
.com Q150
Corsynth C101 mk2
krisp1 Journeyman filter

Getting another filter, soundwise not close to one I´ve already got, is getting harder. I should perhaps abandon that idea.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm

Happy Nerding Fun VCF polyvoks.....

LWSS Dual Wasp....

That should round out the "Outer edges" of your filter collection!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm
Happy Nerding Fun VCF polyvoks.....

LWSS Dual Wasp....

That should round out the "Outer edges" of your filter collection!!
And if you want to really skirt the edge....Rich has a custom WASP panel that will set it apart!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:16 pm

was going to mention the polivox.. :)
also for the wasp try to find a haible version the cat girl one is a little light..
the Steiner is also different sounding.. there is also the AC gristle..
and the (not made anymore) MA20 and Delta from megaOhm..
(still waiting on the Delta 2 Phil !! :) ..delta is the best MU filter! :) )
quite a few Euro ports are great the Korgasmatron III (not a million miles from the journeyman but with a lot of features!)

Haible wasp..

mr Drake demoing my korgasmatron.!

Return to “5U Format Modules”