5u - the next trend?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 5u - the next trend?

Post by ws9848 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Well, I have been thinking about putting together a small system again. There are so many more options these days.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:39 am

5U as a coming trend or the next trend within 5Us? I doubt the 5U ever will become trendy in any way. I don´t have many ideas about trends within the 5U community either, but I did notice a few years back how more and different features were put in modules. Then came somewhat larger panels with all the bread and butter functions included. This trend continues today, by the way. My thoughts back then, around 2015-2017, were that history repeats itself.
The early modular users were absolutely thrilled when all parts got preconnected in the Minimoog. Then came the next steps, polyphony and memory functions. Things that surely some visionary musicians must have longed for. What happened next? Well, it took decades, and then a few nostalgic guys restored the old monsters or started building new. Why? Because there is something about going back to basics and not having those short cuts at hands all the time. The inconvenience of big and tricky came back.
So, where are we now? I would say we´re back to 1974-1976. We´ve had a few equivalents to the Minimoog (or closer to the Oberheim SEM), and I´m thinking we might have seen our first CS80s or Oberheim Four voice again. Memory functions are finding their way into the modulars, SSL model 1650 and earlier the Moon M567 for instance. Some are struggling with methods to get polyphony.
We´re bound to go for convenience, until a certain extent. Then we get nostalgic again, puritanism takes over, and we´ll want 1967 again. Just wait a few years…..

smbenn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smbenn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 am

Just me wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 am

Playing live is where it shines. It is big. It is easy to use. And to the audience, you aren't hunching over an invisible box looking like you are playing a game of Operation. They get to see the large mass of knobs and your interaction with them.
Hear hear! Playing with my back to the audience so they can see my pretty dancing lights and frantic patching! 5U more of a performance - they can see you turn a knob and hear the difference, that’s part of the point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Si 'Electric Ape'
---
44SP MU modular 3 x VCO, 2 x VCF, 2 x 960
Roland JUNO-60, SH-101, TR-606, TR-707, TR-727, (TT303), JV-1010, JX03
Korg ER-1, Volca Sample
Yamaha TX81Z
Jen SM2007
Arturia DrumBrute
Synthstrom Deluge

Conjure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Conjure » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 am

eboats wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am
I got into Eurorack about 5 years ago and only in the last 6 months have I ventured into building a small 5u system. I'm kind of blown away by how good 5u gear sounds, and really like the bigger knobs and more space than what my cramped Eurorack has.

While Eurorack has taken off in popularity and become quite trendy over the last few years, I can't help but think 5u/larger format will become the next big trend. Do you agree? If it wasn't for this 5u board, I probably wouldn't have known anything about the 5u world so suspect newcomers to modular may not even know formats other than Euro exist. Of course the 5u format has been around forever, but Is it just a well kept secret about how great the 5u gear is?
Not likely the next trend, though I think you bring up a good point in that you went to Eurorack first and realized you liked the 5U stuff more. That's exactly what happened to me, and I think it's happening to more people lately. I've always been intrigued by the 5U formats and am glad I made the switch about a year ago, both for my personal system and with my business to release new modules.

While I don't think 5U will ever beat the convenience/form factor of Eurorack, nor can it compete with things like some of the weirder digital modules in Euro, I do see more and more people intrigued by the format and surprised at how much they like it once they give it a shot. Being able to interface both form factors by using the same control voltage standards is a plus. Also I'm so glad to be in a format that, for the most part, uses GOOD power supplies. I LOVE my giant quiet, stable, accurate, linear power supply.

The way I see the format, it's kind of a clean slate for me with less redundancy in modules and more of an emphasis on some of the basic building blocks of subtractive synthesis; far too often we see people in Eurorack amass these huge systems and continually buying/selling modules chasing "that" sound (whatever "that" sound may be), whereas with my 88U Dotcom system I feel "restricted" (in a good way) and feel my creativity sparked in more ways than a giant flashy Eurorack system. Remember, poor people in Detroit and Chicago invented entire genres of electronic music with less gear than most of us have.

Return to “5U Format Modules”