MOTM - Module Delineation (lines?) & Output Marking (nuts/washers?)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Overand
Common Wiggler

MOTM - Module Delineation (lines?) & Output Marking (nuts/washers?)

Post by Overand » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Hey folks - it’s been ages since I posted here!

It’s been a while since Imwas really playing with my modular synth, but it’s time. I’m running into some interesting challenges, though - or rather, thoughts?

On reading about some Eurorack stuff (Intellijel), I’ve noticed that some manufacturers are using a convention of having a box/boxes around outputs. I wonder if anyone has thought of ways to do something like this in MOTM format.

My first thought was to put something around the output jacks, but that would cover up labels. Sitting here starting at my sea of jacks, though, I realized: couldn’t I use differently colored nuts and/or washers? Has anyone done this? Thoughts on where to get decent ones?!

Also, when I’ve been showing the modular to other folks, they’ve sometimes struggled with knowing when one module ends and another begins. Years ago, I thought about this issue and wondered about clear Mylar with a white silscreened line, in the shape of a capital I (with serifs) - so you could affix it via the module screws.

What’s out there? Thanks, all!
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: MOTM | Euro
WTB: MOTM Case, Euro VCAs, Sequencers, Env Followers & Interfaces.
Building the modular since ~2003

Overand
Common Wiggler

Re: MOTM - Module Delineation (lines?) & Output Marking (nuts/washers?)

Post by Overand » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm noting this old thread looking for colorful jacks/nuts; I've had very little success! I found a few ebayers - mostly in the UK - selling something that looks right - if not in the right configuration.

EDIT for anyone looking - Neutrik NRJ-NUT-R and NRJ-NUT-B are available on Mouser, and *may* work. (We'll see!) Links shown may or may not work.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 pm

I don't think Cliff jacks are the same thread as Switchcraft. Just some colored washers would do it, or even colored paper?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:23 pm

The lack of indication of where one module ends and another begins in MOTMland is one of those little bugaboos that bother MU users to no end. I've found that if you're using the thing enough to be competent with it, I.E. practicing, this stops being an issue really fast. You learn where things are. Ditto for helper indicators around in/out jacks and similar. I've got a ton of MOTM modules here, but know where everything is, and can patch stuff really quickly as a result. Practice - that's all it takes - think of a violinist or cellist - they don't have frets or any kind of indicators where the notes are, but can find them just fine.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Overand
Common Wiggler

Post by Overand » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:23 pm
—SNIP—
I’vve found that if you're using the thing enough to be competent with it, I.E. practicing, this stops being an issue really fast. You learn where things are. Ditto for helper indicators around in/out jacks and similar. I've got a ton of MOTM modules here, but know where everything is, and can patch stuff really quickly as a result. Practice - that's all it takes —SNIP—
Yes, I do tend to do just fine with this myself - at least when creating a patch. (Coming back to one 2 weeks later? Not as quick, there). I’m thinking about the modular from a somewhat different perspective, though - accessibility. One thing I love about a (non-normalled) modular is getting to use it as a teaching tool. Sure, my SH-101 and Juno-106 can be useful, but I actually think the “everything is right there” aspect is a great help for folks getting started with audio synthesis.

So, yeah - I do fine without colored jacks and module lines, but I think they could be helpful for people I’m teaching. (And, sure, for my aging eyes in dark rooms, after moving modules around! :lol:)

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:58 am

neandrewthal did a big post when he finished him modular which had some info in re the jacks afair. have a search in DIY.

Paul Krisp1 also has his K1 range which uses a silver border to delineate. Not sure if hes still doing them or just MUMU now?

robotmakers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotmakers » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:08 am

Not a fan of the typically careless MOTM user interface, so used colored washers to delineate what I considered to be control inputs. Here’s a crop from an old picture where you might be able to make out the blue plastic washers in some spots. Obviously just a matter of personal preference.

Best regards,
Roger
FB674D4C-8581-4403-94E6-87A42CF1E130.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Overand
Common Wiggler

Post by Overand » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:13 am

I can confirm - the cliff jack plastic thingies don’t fit the Switchcraft jacks, unfortunately.
synthetic wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 pm
I don't think Cliff jacks are the same thread as Switchcraft. Just some colored washers would do it, or even colored paper?
Yes, I’m thinking about colored washers - and am testing out now with one washer and one nut (from different jacks) I’ve marked red with sharpie. We’ll see!

Overand
Common Wiggler

Post by Overand » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:15 am

robotmakers wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:08 am
-SNIP- so used colored washers to delineate what I considered to be control inputs. -SNIP-
This looks good - do you recall a part number, source, etc?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:28 pm

In the past I've painted jack nuts and washers for this purpose. It's kind of a large process to get it to work - you've got to get enough paint on the things, but not enough so that you can't use them. Basically you've got to clean the machine oil off the pieces, then put them on some kind of mesh surface and spray paint them, several coats. And then be careful installing them, as the paint will still come off easily.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:01 pm

I'm not a fan of the boxes around the jacks. IMO, it just clutters up the graphics.

As far as MOTM modules running together: If you use wooden rack rails like I do, all of your modules are always just a little bit askew, and then it isn't a problem. :mrgreen:
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

goom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by goom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 am

The only solution that worked for me ( a little, anyway), was to print labels with the module name and put them top center on double wide modules.

The single wide modules usually had graphics for the top most knob there, so I put those stickers right below and to the right of the top most knob. Not the best solution, but it helped a little.

In later years of building MOTM format modules, I wound up making my own panels and always had the module name top center of the panel. I also used knob and switch positions of my own choosing (not MOTM grid by any means) to make things easier to follow. It worked wonders for "the flow", but it was a lot of time and labor.

My last plan was to DIY my own MU panel designs using blank panels from synth dot com, but I only made one module (258j) before my module building came to an end.

goom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by goom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 am

Picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “5U Format Modules”