Bass pedals

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Bass pedals

Post by Putte » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:00 pm

I wonder if bass pedals could be a topic to discuss. I thought at least a few of us might us our feet every now and then, to control our modulars. If so, there might be ideas and tips on this subject.
I built my MIDI-to CV/Gate pedals two or three years ago. I´m in a progressive cover band, and most of the time I use my modular for lead/solo sounds, but adding some sustained bass tones became useful at times. You know, late 70s Genesis stuff. I also used the pedals to transpose sequences, while my hands were occupied.
Lately I´ve been trying to add background for the solo practising. A fantom G8 has supplied drum sequences and bass sound comes from the modular, played on the pedals. Now, this only gives me those long sustained bass tones, but I wanted more rythmic bass. That´s how I started experimenting with step sequencers for the bass sound (I should add all this would have been pointless without the Moon M553 (MIDI to Clock)).
My first attempt was with the Q960. Clocked to the M553 and therefore also to the drum sequences on the G8, I let the Q960 control the filter for the bass (A krisp1 Journeman at the time). That´s one suggestion I´d really recommend. This mean I play the bass tones, both gate and signals, but the G8 and the Q960 gives the tone a rythm.
The next time I thought of combining the M563 and M564, both driven by the clock. The gate controls the envelope generator connected to the VCA, which means the bass pedals only would control the signal/tone. Once the G8 drum sequence started, the bass followed, triggered by the M563. This sounds a lot better, and I don´t need to keep a foot on the pedals all the time
Anyone else experimenting with this kind of live bass playing, perhaps having some tips?

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Bass pedals

Post by Flareless » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm

I've got a set of Roland PK-5 pedals and I just love them. :love:

A while ago my friend brought a set of Roland PK-5A pedals for a rehearsal then left them here for a year. They sat in storage for several months until I decided to hook them up to my rig and see if I found any use for them.

About 6 months later my friend returned and I had to give back the pedals. Suddenly there was a whole section of my music that was gone. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I tried to add a single bass note while both my hands were tied up. Something so simple with the pedals that added so much sound was missing.

Luckily a few weeks later I found a set of PK-5 pedals on Kijiji and I've had them ever since. I use them to control my synthesizers as well as my modular. Setting up a really deep bass patch on the modular and triggering with the pedals is like the icing on the cake of a melody. I find them incredibly useful and recommend a set of pedals to anyone with a little bit of foot coordination.

IMG_3365.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:50 pm

I'd love to try them but the ones I've seen are expensive and I'm not sure I want to commit to more gear.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:23 pm

ranix wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:50 pm
I'd love to try them but the ones I've seen are expensive and I'm not sure I want to commit to more gear.
Good ones ARE expensive. I paid $600CAD for my used ones back in October. I was very hesitant at first to even get a set because of the cost. If I hadn't grown to love the set I had on loan I probably might have never got them.

Once having them and losing them, though, I decided I couldn't live without them. :roll:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 pm

I received this set of bass pedals during an equipment trade many years ago. They are custom built by someone from some organ pedals, and they have a MIDI output. The MIDI implementation looks to be pretty good, but I keep it set at one channel. The Octave up and down buttons are helpful, but I LOVE the Hold button, as it keeps the note playing for days with my feet off of the pedals! I still need to introduce it (along with my Kenton MIDI to CV box) to my new Box 11 MU Modular! At one point, I contemplated mounting a microphone stand pole to it, and mounting a Minitaur to the other end!
C5E42AC3-798B-4918-9479-B51863ADE561.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am

I built mine, but I doubt that made it cheaper. I´ve red and seen some examples of bass pedals, coming from slaughtered organs. Still, a expensive MIDI devices are needed. In my case, I needed first a pedals to MIDI and then a MIDI to CV/Gate solution.

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I hadn't thought of using this Viscount pedalboard for the modular, but why not? It uses a 12v power supply, but the MIDI out should still be usable right?
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 pm

^ I don't see why not

Today during rehearsal my bandmate and I used the pedals to control this fat, meaty bass tone we were generating on the modular. Good times :party:
Rich

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:54 pm

I built mine 16 years ago with a set of Hammond spinet pedals and a Basic Stamp. I made provisions for CV/Gate/Trigger output but never wired up that portion. I've stayed with MIDI all these years and it works fine. Wow, the videos really look dated on that page with the camera technology back then. I added a number of features in software which is easily reconfigurable. I adapted one of the 1/4" outputs to serial to drive one of my external vacuum fluorescent displays which displays the notes. It adds to the built-in arpeggiation sequencing.

Midi Bass Pedals project.

Around the same time I also picked up a Crumar OMB-2 (One Man Band) cheap with the thought of using those pedals but instead restored it for its cheesy sounds.

Dave

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:33 pm

So, there are some real pedal enthusiasts out there. Nice! I wonder how many there would be without broken down organs. They´re not too far looking from mine, but I just can´t insert pictures any more.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Flareless wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm

IMG_3365.jpeg
How many Moog Slim Phattys? I remember there was a Wiggler with one or two in a modern Buchal for standard voice/bass duties. Lionel I think?

And whatever happened to TheRealMC? He had Moog Taurus I and Taurus III I think.

I just love the first few deep bass notes on 'Duchess' from Genesis Duke album. And the whole album frankly. Lots of Taurus. And then Rush... and Yes Tormato.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:05 am

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm
Flareless wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm

IMG_3365.jpeg
How many Moog Slim Phattys? I remember there was a Wiggler with one or two in a modern Buchal for standard voice/bass duties. Lionel I think?
That's Phatt Bastard. It's 6 Slim Phattys (Phatties? :hmm:) plus a Little Phatty all polychained together as a 7 voice 'poly-moog'. It's pretty awesome actually once they've all warmed up for 45 minutes :bang:

Recently I've been using the Little Phatty by itself along with the PK-5 pedals as my mock-Taurus rig. The 6 voice poly is plenty and if I need the extra voice I just tell the whole chain there's room for one more.

I've been running the Little Phatty through a TC Electronics Sub n Up pedal to add some extra-thick phattness to the sound. Then the Holy Grail adds a bit of reverb (or sometimes flerb) and the pedals shake the house.
IMG_3434.jpeg
IMG_2890 (1).jpeg
Rich

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 am

With both hands usually occupied on one or two keybeds, I´m thinking another use of the bass pedals could be to control the amount of filter frequency.
-How useful is that, you might question?
-Not very much, I´d probably answer.

But, it´d be fun to try for half an hour or so, at least. I could start a bit softer, and then open up the filter for the second and more intense part of the solo.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 am

A few years ago I picked up a set of bass pedals from an Elka combi organ to convert.

Never really found a simple way to convert them so still in the loft.

Suggestions on easiest conversion, CV/gate preferred but MIDI is fine too?
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Squattamolie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Squattamolie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Worth pondering (i.e. keeping an eye out for) is Elka PM13. I wanted a really simple bass pedal a few years back (wanted Roland but they're really nice, meaning expensive) and found that these come up for sale now and then, usually dirt cheap. I snagged one for around $100 delivered, and have seen roughly 2 or 3 a year come up FS since then. I'll go years without using it but will then hook it up and have fun - they're not worth enough to make it worth selling. Not fancy but bulletproof for what it does. And being a MIDIot since the beginning (I learned MIDI in hex from Paul Lehrman), I have one req that's non-negotiable: no problems with stuck notes! Ain't nobody got time for that.

There are supposedly two versions though I've only ever seen the second (better) one on ebay or Reverb or whatever (attached PDF:
Elka-PM-13.pdf

It's not shown a lot but here's one being used to change bass notes over guitar noodling:
Sounds like raging plastic jellyfish snarking helium whippets.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:34 am

Every time I click on this thread I remember "ahhhh right not about bass stompboxes....."

Just a bunch of guys talking about their organ

pedals.
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:17 pm

Came up with an idea today. I´ve used two Q106 sawtooth Waves for my bass patch, but changed to the two krisp1 TZ-VCO next to them. They have an additional Sawx2 output. That way, I got an extra tone on each VCO, one octave higher. Adding bass pedal tones turned out marvellous after that.

Return to “5U Format Modules”