Trunk Lines...

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Trunk Lines...

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi folks,

So, is it just me..?.. or does anyone else not 'get' the need for 'trunk lines'..?

I mean like the large Moog modulars can have eight of them. When I restored mine I did away with them completely.
Then I bought my System 15 reissue... which has two of them. Again, I couldn't see the point and I even repurposed one of the rear sockets for another duty - (for my home-cloned 904C coupler).

OK, you patch your output from the VCA into the front socket for line 1, and then patch the rear line 1 socket into your amp or mixer... I get that. But that is two leads you've used - why not just run the lead from the VCA output around to the back..? It's just as "tidy".

Maybe I'm missing something, if so could someone please give me an example of other uses for all those trunk lines..?

:despair:

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Re: Trunk Lines...

Post by elmerfudd » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Well now the thing is Moog is running at +4 dBm so the trunk or tie lines are great for interfacing to external processors, say like a Marshall Time Modulator or Micmix Dynaflanger. I have played with fast expanders after the FFB. Guess it depends on your studio layout, but for me it became a modular must have where I have added tie line modules to my other synths, although it takes more gear for the 10V pp synths.....

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:58 pm

elmerfudd wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:46 pm
Well now the thing is Moog is running at +4 dBm so the trunk or tie lines are great for interfacing to external processors, say like a Marshall Time Modulator or Micmix Dynaflanger. I have played with fast expanders after the FFB. Guess it depends on your studio layout, but for me it became a modular must have where I have added tie line modules to my other synths, although it takes more gear for the 10V pp synths.....
I really must be missing something here... the trunk line is just a piece of wire with a socket either end.
You can interface with other equipment without them..?
And what has signal levels got to do with it..? Could you please elaborate on that for me..?

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Post by elmerfudd » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Yeah, but it allows you to hardwire to a studio patchbay or another synth. Dr. Moog had envisioned this as a studio tool not unlike any other outboard gear, hence my reference to the operating level. A 904a/b/c combo is a killer effects tool, insert it into the feedback loop of a delay line (tape machine).Roll your own ducker/gate with a 912/902 combo. Replace your oscillators with program material and apply standard synth technique. Sometimes this nets academic results, sometimes magic. So yes you can direct patch from the front panel but if your studio is 1/4" longframe (GPO) or god forbid TT, having those lines wired makes a difference. Remembering what you did is a different matter.....

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:51 am

I have a 1P here with four trunk lines. Super handy with the Moog accesories. Have the 1120 pedal connected to one, and the X/Y axis of the 959 joystick connected to a pair. Very easy to patch those anywhere in the system with the trunk sockets right on the front panel.
A well thought out system.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:16 am

I'm a bit unclear myself. Is the concept of Trunk Lines that permanent connections exist between certain pieces of gear through a patch bay?

On my system, for example, I have a set of permanent cables running between some modules and my patch bay. An input for a BMC030 Instrument Interface allows me to easily plug a microphone or other instrument into my patch bay for processing by my modular.

Another permanent "Trunk" is a clock line running from my sequencer to a dedicated Multiple on the modular. Taking a patch from this multiple lets me easily sync my modular to my master clock.

Finally I've got a Send and Receive line connected permanently from a CGS60 Stomp Box adapter to a patch bay allowing me to easily patch any combination of FX pedals into my modular.

What I considered Trunk Lines were permanent runs between gear allowing easy patching. Is this correct? Incorrect? Sort of correct?

IMG_3444.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Post by elmerfudd » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am

Yes, your understanding is correct. Specific to the Moog systems though various CP moudules (CP2, CP3) had trunk lines on the panel, sometimes with mults, that then connected to the back of the cab with jacks or in one big 55 I saw Jones multi way plug. But the purpose was to tie to other cabs or patch bays. I can understand where if you are using the modular as a stand alone instrument that real estate might find a better use. But in an EM/Musique Concrete studio setting they are an important asset. I don't understand the point of always having a pair of jacks or mult wired to one tie (trunk). When I did away with the CP row in my cab and ported CP to standard size modules I went 1 jack to each tie (to Jones multi). I was able to get 2 four way mults and 6 ties on one panel.

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 am

Small scan from the R.A.Moog owners manual.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for the explanations and information guys! :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Hmmm... interesting replies and examples, thanks guys...

I suppose, thinking about it, if your system never moves and is permanently situated in a studio then they could make sense and be useful, but both my systems are constantly moved and don't stay put for long. Also, any effects or other external gear I use are also moved with them therefore I do find it easier to just run a lead from wherever directly to the external unit, so seems like they're not for me... :hihi:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:06 pm

I guess if you were playing with some other people, using tape machines/synths etc you could feed line outs ( or ins? ) to them & keep the front dedicated to your patching

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Post by XXXEsq » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

My Moog IIP has 4 sets of trunks. I have them connected (from the back) to a normaled patch bay on my synth wall.
I built another set of trunks on my DotCom by swapping out the output jacks on my Krisp 894 with normaled jacks (so that they connect to a set of jacks on the back unless they are plugged in from the front) and these also route to my patchbay on the synth wall.
The patchbay output is normaled to 6 inputs on one of my audio interfaces so the synth outputs are easily accessible.
Moog IIP, Dot.Com 110, Moog One 16V, MiniMoog, Cubase 10.5/64, Ableton Live 10.1.2/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 am

XXXEsq wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm
My Moog IIP has 4 sets of trunks. I have them connected (from the back) to a normaled patch bay on my synth wall.
But you never move it, it stays put..?

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Post by elmerfudd » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:21 am

noddyspuncture wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 am
XXXEsq wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm
But you never move it, it stays put..?
Thing is YOU are one of the handful of people worldwide,that has the stones to tote your vintage Moog around! I would think the majority of larger systems have stayed put.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:20 pm

The term "trunk" originally came from telephone systems. Back in the days of manual switchboards, a "line" connected the switchboard to a subscriber's telephone; a "trunk" connected the switchboard to another switchboard. Studios adopted the term "trunk" to refer to a cable that connects one studio room to another. E.g., if you were recording in one room, but decided that a certain part needed to be recorded in another room (say, for acoustic reasons), you'd use a trunk to connect your board to the board in the other room, where the mic was connected.

I have a simple trunk setup; it consists of four cables that go from my patch bay to the synth, come in from the back, and then hang from an opening in the front. I can take one of them and use it sort of like using a patch cord in a switchboard; pull it out and connect to an output. I do this because, as I'm standing in front of the modular, the patch bay is behind me and to my left. If I just run a cable directly from the patch bay to the synth, it's where I will trip over it. Also,when I need to roll the case out away from the wall so I can get to the back, it helps if there aren't cables laying on the floor in front of it.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 pm

ah, that is a good explanation, thanks!!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 am

Definitely helpful. I can almost see it now ...
lily.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich

Return to “5U Format Modules”