Q960 - "fourth row" project...

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Q960 - "fourth row" project...

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi folks,

Hope you're all doing OK and managing well in these really awful times..! Keep washing those hands..!!!
So, I've been building again, you know - not much else to do really when you're holed-up and isolating...!?

It is Modular related although the video I'm sharing shows a couple of synths. My Q960 is out of shot but it is playing them... ;)

I had an idea and today I competed it and tested it out. My idea was to add a 'fourth row' to my Q960.

I've sequenced two synths with rows A&B before... but then there's just row C left to possibly add some filter control... but you either patch it to both synths or just one.

I looked at the mode switches - skip/normal/stop - and thought that I don't really ever use those. I use the COTK gate sequencer so those rotary mode switches don't come into play. I thought I'd remove them and put in a row of pots... but then thought better of it as it would be a massive alteration and meant that I could never go back to using it on it's own. So my solution I thought would be to add the 4th row on an external strip and have it 'flying' on a multicore. It still meant I had to build the circuitry and install it into the sequencer which I finished yesterday. The row of pots I built into one of those plastic runners which you can use for tidying cables... I'm waiting for some shake-proof washers to arrive for the pots and I still need to cut the thing down to size but it's all wired up and works nicely.

You can see it in the video on the Minimoog - I still need to put the knobs on and once the washers are fitted, slide the 'body' onto the strip.

The video is basically my first testing of it... I'm running one row for Minimoog pitch, the next for Moog Source pitch, the third row is doing the Source filter CV and the 'flying strip' fourth row is doing the Minimoog filter. I had a feeling it would be good... but it's actually way better that I could have imagined..! :yay:

(I took a clock feed from the COTK and also a feed from each of it's outputs (from the back of each Q960 stage input socket) via a diode.
Four 4013's - clock & data lines used, with the 'Q' o/p's controlling two 4016's which switch the wiper outputs from each of the 4th row pots onto a buss which feeds the output socket... just a quick description in case anyone was wondering how I did it.)

Here's some photos:
IMG_8712.JPG
IMG_8713.JPG
IMG_8714.JPG
IMG_8715.JPG
IMG_8716.JPG
IMG_8718.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Re: Q960 - "fourth row" project...

Post by Thorsday » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Well done, sir.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:24 am

that is a great idea!

I was waiting for you to adjust some of the knobs on the strip: are the pots wired up to the 960 internal bits yet?

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:57 am

umma gumma wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:24 am
that is a great idea!

I was waiting for you to adjust some of the knobs on the strip: are the pots wired up to the 960 internal bits yet?
Yes, it's all wired up - it was just that having to hit two notes, one on each synth to keep the sequence interesting, there's actually too much going on.! I did tweak the 3rd row (out of shot) for the Source filter. The Mini's filter was bouncing along nicely and I didn't want to change it. I'll be doing more videos when those washers arrive and it's cut to length with all the knobs on etc... ;)

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Bob would be proud of you :tu:

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Glad you are putting your social distancing time to good use... Looks (and sounds) great.

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 am

umma gumma wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:24 am
that is a great idea!

I made another video yesterday with the Mini and my Korg Polysix.
On this one I'm using the 4th row control strip on the Mini's filter throughout...

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Tom is one of the few in here that can make these type of sequencers sing..

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:44 pm

josaka wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Tom is one of the few in here that can make these type of sequencers sing..
Thanks for the compliment...
I must say though, I don't see many videos on YT with people operating/manipulating sequencers 'real-time'... it's mainly demos and tutorials...!?

Here another one - I just did it today...

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:06 am

that is really neat!!

I wonder if you could add a global CV in on that strip, so you could sweep the whole thing with an attnuated LFO or something?

then you could add some subtle variation without having to manhandle the knobs?

thx for posting, your vids are always interesting!

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Wonderful wonderful.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:29 am

noddyspuncture wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:44 pm
I must say though, I don't see many videos on YT with people operating/manipulating sequencers 'real-time'... it's mainly demos and tutorials...!?
I'm holding out hope that the Behringer 960 et al will be good enough that EuroRacker's come to appreciate its playability.

m0n0mania
Common Wiggler

Post by m0n0mania » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:23 am

...if they have tweezers for fingers, perhaps

Return to “5U Format Modules”