The Bull has arrived!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

gregae
Common Wiggler

The Bull has arrived!

Post by gregae » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks to Blake at Noisebug for delivering the Raging Bull just in time for the upcoming extended holiday weekend (more time to play!)

RB.jpg

From the description on Frequency Central:
The Raging Bull is based on the legendary Moog Taurus Mk I VCF and VCA. It has a lovely, thick Moog-like quality, which is further enhanced by the drive you can get out of its VCA at higher settings. A big part of the sound of the Taurus was the way in which the VCF interfaced with the VCA, so on Raging Bull the VCA is always in the audio path. A toggle switch allows you to select ‘always open’ or CV control of the VCA from CV input 3.

:banana:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Bull has arrived!

Post by KSS » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:10 pm

That's a nice looking module!

I've always wondered why a design where the jacks were centered wasn't more popular. From bottom to top on this module, knob, jack, jack knob. the single out jack stays wehre it is. Seems this would be cleaner to patch and use and wouldn't be any less understandable with the lines between jacks and knobs.

First thing through my head when i see a new module is imagine it fully patched. This one's fine as is, but still would find myself thinking about reversing the knobs and jacks of the upper group.

cubis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cubis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 pm

That is a really cool concept about the vca. Does it sound moog-like?

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 am

Love the number of signal and control inputs. One thing, though. With three control inputs, why isnt anyone of them assigned to either the frequency or the resonance?

modmax69
Common Wiggler

Post by modmax69 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am

thumbnail_IMG_8721.jpg
I've got one in a minirig. It rocks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am

KSS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:10 pm
That's a nice looking module!

I've always wondered why a design where the jacks were centered wasn't more popular. From bottom to top on this module, knob, jack, jack knob. the single out jack stays wehre it is. Seems this would be cleaner to patch and use and wouldn't be any less understandable with the lines between jacks and knobs.

First thing through my head when i see a new module is imagine it fully patched. This one's fine as is, but still would find myself thinking about reversing the knobs and jacks of the upper group.
Agreed ... fully patched is what really matters. All of the jacks along the bottom of the panel ... personally there is no other way to go. I went there and will never leave if the choice exists. For instance, I love the DotCom Q113 eight channel mixer ... but I very much dislike using it. The jacks are all intermingled with the controls (BIG SUCK). All of the repanels I've done so far have the jacks all along the bottom of the panels ... makes for much easier ~use~ of them.

But again, that's ~me~ .... some folks like Aunt Jemima's pancake syrup .. other folks prefer Mrs. Butterworths. World keeps on a spinnin, Sun keeps on risin', we all go about our day our own way.

:)
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Demo's?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm
Demo's?
few euro ones on the tube.. not great demos tbf

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 am

kindredlost wrote:
Demo's?
Yes, this really screams for a decent demo and/or comparison to other MU Moog Style filters. I always read that the Expo controlled oscillators were the "mojo" for the Taurus 1, I didn't know that the filter was that unique.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:23 am

Henfield wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 am
kindredlost wrote:
Demo's?
Yes, this really screams for a decent demo and/or comparison to other MU Moog Style filters. I always read that the Expo controlled oscillators were the "mojo" for the Taurus 1, I didn't know that the filter was that unique.
Moog was still trading on the 1969 transistor ladder filter patent when they introduced the Taurus in 1975. The unit contained a somewhat simplified 4 pole ladder filter, the cutoff controlled by a contour generator and key tracking input, followed by a VCA which used the CA3080 transconductance amplifier buffered by a single transistor emitter follower to the audio output.

The original model had two (not exponentially controlled) saw tooth oscillators with circuitry to allow unison or offset operation depending on which "instrument" was chosen.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 am

burdij wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:23 am
Moog was still trading on the 1969 transistor ladder filter patent when they introduced the Taurus in 1975.
in '75?

Moog is "still trading on the 1969 transistor ladder filter patent" TODAY!

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am

burdij wrote:

The original model had two (not exponentially controlled) saw tooth oscillators with circuitry to allow unison or offset operation depending on which "instrument" was chosen.
You are correct, I had it backwards! The Taurus 1 had Linear Controlled Oscillators, Like the original 901Bs, not exponentially (V/Oct) controlled oscillators like the other Moog products.

Still, I thought that the oscillators and the way that they were controlled were one of the key components to the original Taurus Sound?
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Henfield wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am
Still, I thought that the oscillators and the way that they were controlled were one of the key components to the original Taurus Sound?
That's correct.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Putte wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 am
Love the number of signal and control inputs. One thing, though. With three control inputs, why isnt anyone of them assigned to either the frequency or the resonance?
Not sure but on the Euro version it was more clearly delineated. CV In 1 & 2 were for Freq. VC and CV 3 was switchable between VCA and VCF.

The silkscreen on the MU may have omitted that, but who knows.

I was always intrigued by this one.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

tomdarude
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tomdarude » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

What OSC would suit that the most, if one wanted to get close to the Taurus I bass tones in a small case?
Ever since I saw Daniel Lanois studio footage with his Taurus, the bass sounds haunt me....
German based in Deventer / NL

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 am

tomdarude wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm
What OSC would suit that the most, if one wanted to get close to the Taurus I bass tones in a small case?
Ever since I saw Daniel Lanois studio footage with his Taurus, the bass sounds haunt me....
JHaible's "Living VCO"s modules duplicate the important linear aspects of the original Taurus sound.

Moog's own re-bake in the Taurus3 is supposed to have nailed it. I've never heard one -Taurus 3- in person so am going on reports from sources I trust.

1960strat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1960strat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Any demos yet? This module just might find its way in my new case
Henfield wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 am
kindredlost wrote:
Demo's?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:48 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 am
burdij wrote:
Moog was still trading on the 1969 transistor ladder filter patent when they introduced the Taurus in 1975.
in '75?

Moog is "still trading on the 1969 transistor ladder filter patent" TODAY!
I don't think moog has any advantage besides trademark and good will. it expired in 1986. after that "moog ladder filter" is trademark of moog.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3475623A/en
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “5U Format Modules”