5U getting started thread?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

5U getting started thread?

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Hello 5U Enthusiasts!

Is there a comprehensive thread here that you could direct me to in order to learn more about where to start with this format?

I’ve been to Synthesizers.com and Moon Modular among others but thought there must be some thread available here.

Thanks! :guinness:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 5U getting started thread?

Post by josaka » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 am

there is sticky with a list of pretty much all the manufacturers..
youtube has many demo videos..
"where to start" has a lot to do with what sounds you want to achieve..
then folk might be able to direct you better if they knew what you were after..its a bit vague otherwise..

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:21 am

Was thinking of a small two oscillator system like this to start to make cool bass lines with:
Attachments
8B61A297-BACC-49BA-A393-903CA7838550.jpeg

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Alt way:
1) watch Mos-Lab demos, .Com video guides
2) put in a queue of Mos-Lab systems (about 1 year)
3) it’s a good time to think do you really need MU system (no deposit needed)

:)
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:17 pm

My suggestions based on the system you are proposing:

1. Instead of two identical filters, get a different filter for the second filter. Like a 12dB multimode instead of another 24dB lowpass filter. Lots of additional sound possibilities.
2. Instead of the two Dotcom VCAs, get a single-width dual VCA, like the one from Krisp1 / Oakley. Free up a panel space for something else.
3. For the 'something else' in that empty space, you could really use another mixer or signal processor, or a single module that serves both purposes, like a Dotcom Q114 Mixer++.
4. Skip the connector interface module and get something that adds additional sonic options, like a phase shifter, wave folder, FM Aid, super sawtor, distortion, etc. You can just use cheap cable adapters instead of that connector interface taking up a panel space.
4. Instead of three Dotcom ADSRs, swap out at least one of them for a more full-featured module that includes looping (so you get another LFO) and/or includes it's own VCA. Like a SSL 1235.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:12 pm

^yep mostly what he said.. get a mixer..look at electrosmith osc and filter.. saves a space :) also maybe a pair of STG ADSR two outs on each a ton of shapes and looping..
prob the best 5u adsrs.. FM aid is a no go these days.. and lose the connector module. an oakley ADSA/VCA is also useful.. 2 lfo never hurts :)

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Geez, that STG envelope looks amazing

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 pm

D2112A1C-7FE4-4B0C-B81A-1FE06A5928C7.jpeg
Better?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:29 pm

different.. :) would say 2 Q114 mixers would be way more useful.. and the 3 .com adsr are not great.. when you have used the stg or oakley/System X/SSL/.com++(not tried the .com!) ADSR you will see what I mean.. the moon thing is a bit of a behemoth and overkill in a system this size personally.. you can do a lot more interesting stuff with that space.. :)

can fit 2 osc in the place of 1 .com $200 each

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 am

I'm in the process of setting up a 5U system too. This is what I went for (link rather than pic so as not to completely hijack your thread). Still waiting on the Moon modules to arrive so I can't comment on how good it is in practice just yet.

Although I should add that I will have 4U (3U + 1U rows) of eurorack sitting underneath with some utility modules and other stuff.

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/1294213

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:23 am

josaka wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:12 pm
... FM aid is a no go these days..
.. so what happened there? ...
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:28 am

Igor hasnt made new ones for more than a year.. a few people asked him..but nothing.. more in the facebook group.

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm

ratchet wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 am
I'm in the process of setting up a 5U system too. This is what I went for (link rather than pic so as not to completely hijack your thread). Still waiting on the Moon modules to arrive so I can't comment on how good it is in practice just yet.

Although I should add that I will have 4U (3U + 1U rows) of eurorack sitting underneath with some utility modules and other stuff.

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/1294213
Looks like we’re on similar trajectories with our 5U systems! :hihi:
I’ll have to wait on some funds to arrive before I start ordering my system but will probably start much smaller than my initial eurorack foray. ;)

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

[/quote]

Looks like we’re on similar trajectories with our 5U systems! :hihi:
I’ll have to wait on some funds to arrive before I start ordering my system but will probably start much smaller than my initial eurorack foray. ;)
[/quote]

Indeed it does. I'm downsizing euro quite a lot. Haven't quite figured out what I'm keeping but it will probably look something like this https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1328597

I've already made the 148hp rack which will sit underneath the 5U case just need to move stuff over and sell the rest of the Euro.

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Okay, how about this one?
Attachments
D4622859-0792-4902-8CBF-14F33891151C.jpeg

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 pm
still a couple of things.. I dont see the point of the moon wave output module.. you be better off with a 3rd 1u oscillator..(for more detuning etc) and the moon osc already give ample outputs without the sidecar..

the 3 vcas could be just the VCA++ or two of the VCA++ ..? having a single any reason ?

the dual moon filter.. having a single .com SVF you could do the same job.. and free a space..for a different extra filter even..

regarding the moon sequencer.. ITS MASSIVE! :)
personal choice.. but I dont like sequencers in rigs I have 132 spaces and only use external sequencers.. why? ..the 960 needs a quantiser.. and other modules for funky timings!.. there are so many great and creative external sequencers (and new ones all the time !) with ,memories ,unusual timings ,note/chord controls/slides etc.. I dont see the point of limiting the options just for nostalgia.. but.. as I say those things are personal.. :)

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:51 am

tehyar wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Geez, that STG envelope looks amazing
Gotta agree. Does anyone have an opinion on the trapezoid setting on it, compared to a dedicated trapezoid generator like the FSFX 105?

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:27 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 pm
As stated above I am on a similar path and still finding my way with 5U - but my personal thoughts looking at this:

- I find some of the dotcom ++ modules to have too many functions and be a little too cramped. One of the reasons I am moving away from Eurorack. Although I can see their usefulness in smaller systems.
- What are you using for master clock to go into the Gate Math / interface with the rest of your set-up? Or are you using it standalone?
- Have you thought about outboard effects rather than the Moon delay?
- I agree on the comment above re the Moon 501 expander. The 501 gives some individual outputs for Osc 2 already. Yes you get the lin FM and sync inputs with the expander. Depends on whether these are must haves. You can always add it later if you feel you need it.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

never knew the moon didnt have lin fm or sync..! get different osc !
at the beginning its not an issue but after time you will want/need it..

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:03 am

josaka wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am
never knew the moon didnt have lin fm or sync..! get different osc !
at the beginning its not an issue but after time you will want/need it..
It's not exactly clear what the Freq. Mod inputs on the 501D are but I assume they are exponential given the inclusion of linear FM on the expander. I guess I'll find out when mine arrives.

It is a dual oscillator and has a switch to hard sync the oscillators on the panel. I believe the expander just allows sync from other external oscillators.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:57 am

ratchet wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:27 am

As stated above I am on a similar path and still finding my way with 5U - but my personal thoughts looking at this:

- I find some of the dotcom ++ modules to have too many functions and be a little too cramped. One of the reasons I am moving away from Eurorack. Although I can see their usefulness in smaller systems.
- What are you using for master clock to go into the Gate Math / interface with the rest of your set-up? Or are you using it standalone?
- Have you thought about outboard effects rather than the Moon delay?
- I agree on the comment above re the Moon 501 expander. The 501 gives some individual outputs for Osc 2 already. Yes you get the lin FM and sync inputs with the expander. Depends on whether these are must haves. You can always add it later if you feel you need it.
This is basically my feedback as well... I will say that after using a 2600 clone, I went for 2x 501s with expanders, as I really value all waveforms from each oscillator. but you might be able to get away with just the 501.

I guessed you were using the Sequencer as master clock, but otherwise that will be a square wave output used up.

also STG envelope is great. I would have at least one in there..

Honestly. start with a small set up and see where that gets you... everyone is different....
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:47 pm

people are saying get this get that but as I said at the start .. its relevant to the sounds you want to make as to whats better to get..
if you want to do berlin stuff the moon are fine..if you want more techno fm sounds other osc maybe better.. you can eek out most sounds but osc lean more to this or that sound.. the 3340 osc are more oberheim/prophet sounding(more 80s electronic the 2144 fits that well ..as would a roland style filter) that why I asked what you wanted to make :)

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:18 pm

88504E3B-BF5E-4ED5-903A-0339C403ED4A.jpeg
Okay, so what I’m going for is a simple stand alone east coast style analog sequencing fun box that will determine whether or not to go further with the format.

I doubled to Oscillator modules to give me 4 so that should be thick enough for bass lines (hopefully).
Was going to run both oscillator outputs into the mixer and then send them off to either filter and then to the VCA the out to the wave folder and/or delay to interface. Moon 569 sequencer would trigger both envelopes simultaneously to trigger filter and VCA.
Multiple is there to send either envelopes or LFO to another destination.
Extra VCA is there to attenuate LFO to destination(s).
It’s my understanding that Moon 569 can have quantized outputs on tracks 1 & 2.
That’s the plan. :guinness:

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:40 pm

The Moon 569 is quantised on the 2v and 5v ranges on all rows. The 10v range is unquantised.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:33 pm

I doubled to Oscillator modules to give me 4 so that should be thick enough for bass lines (hopefully).
no problem.. massive sounds.. 5u best trick.

still not sure about that extra vca :) or moon delay?
rest looks good.. (personally go for a .com svf filter over the sea devil it has hp/bp/lp) :)

think the lfo ++ has attenuation..?

Return to “5U Format Modules”