5U getting started thread?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Re: 5U getting started thread?

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

A few comments from someone experienced with synths but still a relative newbie with a modest 5U system -

I have a couple DotCom ++ modules. Yes, they are more cramped than others, but my view is that if they are not functions you are constantly tweaking, they are great for the added functionality. If it was a filter or oscillator that cramped, I wouldn't like it, but for stuff like a S&H, it's fine.

I have a lot of good outboard fx, but I still bought some FX for my 5U system. Sometimes it's just easier and faster when it's right there. That being said, I bought two of the Moon delays and that's one too many. I use one a lot, but rarely two. So, if you want to save a bit, PM me.

As far as sequencing, I waffled and did both - a Klee in the system, and external Koma sequencer. Both get used equally.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:01 pm

The alternate viewpoint is that when the sizing and space precludes your dextrous affinity for a given module, it's already lost showing its capabilities before it has a chance to show them.

It assumes some known reason and method to use the module, accepting those as justification for its cramped presentation.

What would you do with an S/H module not so inherently UI limiting?

Might you include it in patches and in ways you now won't since-if its a PITA to use?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 pm

koma are lovely.. stopped them now..?
I use a few but always come back to the zaquencer..
the midiphy Seqv4 is great..
the toraiz and even the keystep pro and beatstep pro..too many..
having stored sequences to flick through is a joy

the size of jacks and pots used in 5u means it can never really be 'too' cramped..
dont know what you guys are doing but im not dancing and waving my arms about whilst trying out filter sweeps.. and all these new 1u filters are great.. people used to moan about those.. :)

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:19 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm
A few comments from someone experienced with synths but still a relative newbie with a modest 5U system -

I have a couple DotCom ++ modules. Yes, they are more cramped than others, but my view is that if they are not functions you are constantly tweaking, they are great for the added functionality. If it was a filter or oscillator that cramped, I wouldn't like it, but for stuff like a S&H, it's fine.

I have a lot of good outboard fx, but I still bought some FX for my 5U system. Sometimes it's just easier and faster when it's right there. That being said, I bought two of the Moon delays and that's one too many. I use one a lot, but rarely two. So, if you want to save a bit, PM me.

As far as sequencing, I waffled and did both - a Klee in the system, and external Koma sequencer. Both get used equally.
Nothing to add to the OP but just wanted to clarify my comment about the dotcom++ modules. I do have a couple of dotcom++ modules (VCA++ and Mixer++). I want to emphasis that I'm not knocking them at all. Great modules and great value. It's personal preference but something like the Q167 LFO++ does not look inviting to me at all. Probably something to do with my move away from Eurorack. But again, the are of considerable use and great value in a smaller rack.

Return to “5U Format Modules”