Distribution board.

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rg70
Learning to Wiggle

Distribution board.

Post by rg70 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:44 pm

First off,Thanks for helping me out with my last post. Folks who have Modules from different manufactures. Do I need separate Buss boards from each make if connecting to a .com power supply?I was considering getting a distribution board from each of MOS-Labs,COTK and Synthwerk.Is that nessassary?Or can one be used for all makes?
Thanks again!
RG

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Distribution board.

Post by josaka » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:40 am

synthwerk is all .com friendly.. mos lab you need a board.. I tend to ignore COTK but I think you need a board too..

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm

There are two 'sticky' posts here in the 5U subforum that contain lots of good info about power supplies / power distribution. I recommend you check them out.

kdjupdal
Common Wiggler

Post by kdjupdal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Well, the sticky post seems to be outdated. It is 12 years old, doesn't mention mos-lab nor cotk that the opening poster is interested in, but does mention a couple of manufacturers who are out of business.
As for the answer to the question: I don't know, but mos-lab and cotk might put on a .com connector?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 pm

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 am

you can have COTK on either the COTK connector or dotcom connector, just say at the point of ordering. I know Someone who forgot to specify this, and got COTK connectors, and was able to swap out to a dotcom fairly easily.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:56 pm

In the same boat here with this same question... but what about Moon Modular inside Synthesizer.com racks and vice versa?
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Is there a sortof ~adaptive~ (or adaptable) power distribution center that be used to power most all (if not all) 15v modules that doesn't have a proprietary output connector?

Let me try that again ... think terminal strips .. whatever ~size~ is needed. One strip per rail perhaps? So they'd connect directly to the power supply's outputs and even have the sensing leads connect to this point. Now, any power cable type may be easily reterminated to connect up to the power supply. The existing distribution system that is in the cabinet would be put in parallel with the terminal strip system. Working out sensing lead connection points, zero volt issues and ground issues would be easily addressed (in the event those details are used as reasons not to go with this type of rigging).

It just seems as though there's a need here, and to be honest there's a simple solution involving a parallel set of power distribution connection points, made up of terminal strips that can accommodate anything with an eyelet on the end.

Just a concept, per-system details need refining but generally speaking it addresses some of the problems that arise when mixing brands within the 5U paradigm.

5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 pm

So is that a no then?

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:56 pm
In the same boat here with this same question... but what about Moon Modular inside synthesizers.com racks and vice versa?
Moon modules have synthesiser.com and COTK power connectors as standard. See - http://www.lunar-experience.com/technical.html

I am going to be powering my system with a dotcom power system. Mix of dotcom, Moon, STG and Corsynth (for now...).

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:36 am

ratchet wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 am
Tonefloat01 wrote:
In the same boat here with this same question... but what about Moon Modular inside synthesizers.com racks and vice versa?
Moon modules have synthesiser.com and COTK power connectors as standard. See - http://www.lunar-experience.com/technical.html

I am going to be powering my system with a dotcom power system. Mix of dotcom, Moon, STG and Corsynth (for now...).
one of these per "rail" (one for 15vdc+ .. one for 15vdc- ... one for 5vdc+ ... one for ground/zero volt). Terminate your "odd module" power cables with eyelets. Connect any 15vdc module ... (any 15vdc module) to this system, just snip off the end connector that is not the end that connects to the module .. reterminate all four wires with eyelets ... your system can now connect up to and power any 15vdc modules without using special busboards or little "chicklet" power connection adapters. To be clear (at the risk of being redundant) this method would require four terminal strips.
10 position terminal strip - 1.JPG
10 position terminal strip - 1.JPG (10.68 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Run power lines from the PSU to these terminal strips (four "power lines" per module ... requiring four terminal strips, one per voltage rail) ... make those extension lines parallel to the "normal" DotCom power squid (if that is what is being used). You'll never have to deal with this situation again of how to go about connecting up non-DotCom modules to a DotCom PSU. Just keep some crimp-on eyelets on hand (and bone up on how to properly terminate a wire with a crimped on terminal).

OR .....

Make your own little "bus bars" .... same exact concept as described above with the exception of using short, predrilled bus bars wired up in parallel to the stock DotCom squid or whatever it is that one is using. Essentially replacing the 4 terminal strips with 4 little bus bars. Either way I suppose ... little bus bars or terminal strips. Flip a coin.

:despair:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 am

ratchet wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 am
Tonefloat01 wrote:

Awesome Sauce!
That’s some good info from the link you sent on the Moon website:

– The module format - except our CP-series - follows the industry standard (synthesizers.com/Moog/Curetronic/Mos-Lab etc.)

– The modules work with supply voltages of -15/+15 Volts

(they can be adapted to Moog standard (-6/+12 Volts) or to -12/+12 Volts as custom order - please ask us).

Thanks!

:guinness:

Return to “5U Format Modules”