Dotcom Style Knobs

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Dotcom Style Knobs

Post by LoveHertz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

I ment to ask since seeing some various 3rd party modules in MU format it looks like some of these have smaller knobs than the standard size dotcom. I had a feeling there was only a larger size but some Im seeing look smaller; for instance the Grove VCA. I never found these smaller ones on the Cosmo site. I know they had those skirtless ones that are used on the 960 sequencers but these are essentially the same size as the dotcom ones. Aesthetically I prefer the dotcom knobs more than those motm ones so if they come in other sizes thats great or am i mistaken?
I suppose I could always remove the skirt....hmmm that could be fun...

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Dotcom Style Knobs

Post by sonicwarrior » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm

7601 are the smaller ones and 7602 the normal size.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 pm

I have several common sizes available here:

DIY Parts
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh great, so its 7601,7602 and 7603. do these sizes equate to the motm style in which case would they substitute without any problems should one wish to change or are the shafts different. Some shafts i see look like 'D'. I wonder what the size Moog used for the Bode frequency shifter which did not look like a cosmo knob but rather a large motm style. It looked much larger than 7603 cosmo which i take is the largest cosmo in the same style? In some pics of the modcan shifter also looks like a bigger motm knob.

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

another look on the cosmo site reveals two larger sizes 7605 seems to be 1.5inch diameter and 7604 2inch does that sound correct, seems a bit strange that with these last two sizes the smaller model is the larger size... a little bit inconsistent of cosmo. I would like to know what size was used on the Bode Frequency shifter...I was under the impression it was a motm style with the line instead of the dot.

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm

As far as I know, Moog used the 7603 for the frequency controls on the Bode shifter module. It appears much larger than the 1" knob, "in person". Both the MOTM knobs and the Cosmo knobs are made for a 1/4 in. (6.35mm) shaft diameter. The D shaped shafts are still 1/4" and a normal knob should fit them without a problem. In fact, the D provides a little better anchor for the set screw. I like the round shafts, though. This allows any orientation of the pot or switch with respect to the panel graphics. You just have to tighten them up a little more.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

I have made a comparison picture on a real module:

Order is:

Note: No, I don't sell the knobs. I'm happy I have them, it was quite an adventure to get them as I'm in Germany.
Soundcloud

LoveHertz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LoveHertz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 pm

nice...thanx for the shot....i think i can just make out the module is a polyvoks VCF. so you use dotcom style knobs on your 5u panels. I was keen on this idea for my own modules too but was never sure whether they came in comparable sizes...until now. great. I was also trying to find the 7604 and 05. Going by the cosmo site these larger ones don't have the dot but a line instead which made me think the Bode Frequency Shifter had motm style but it is possibly the bigger Cosmo's.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:51 pm

The COTK Bode has a big knob with two smaller lines instead of the double dots. That's not MOTM style though: The MOTM knobs have only one large line.

As COTK uses only Cosmo knobs I guess this big knob is either a 7604 or 7605.

You can see the knob here (pic is from the COTK page):

Soundcloud

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:36 am

for the record the bode uses the 7604 2' diameter knob for the main Frequency Dial

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Also FYI:

MOTM standard knobs are Alcoswitch (Alco for short) and in particular the PKES series.

Modcan B also uses Alco knobs but the PKA series instead.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm

searching to buy one of these larger cosmo type knobs the larger than usual or largest. my word there seems no source at all. am i 0verlooking something? small bear says none now maybe some at some point if it made financial sense to order. i can never make sense of mouser or digikey inventory but i will search again presently. anyone have one? or leads? the 7605 and 7604

edit, so on digi key i found only this one that had a picture of large knob (not even convinced it is of right shape/feature set)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6566273
apparently i no longer know how to make links

and i will search mouser now

then on mouser something like this
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE ... dSGPe5E%3D
but it is 10 bucks and has the dreaded double set screws.

i cannot be the only person here having searched for large knob?

i reached out to kazike who must have some source for them or at least did at one point.

at this point, i'm not even sure i need a "match as much as something that does respect to the concentric power of mu mankato as well as its rather crazy large range. it just begs for a large or even giant knob.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Altec mixers, etc. used the same style of Kurz-Kasch knobs. Here's a 1.5" one, not as big but close enough:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-ALTEC-JBL- ... 2675069342

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:17 pm

i think i ended up getting a pkes140b1/4 last night. we shall see what arrives in the mail.

i mighta shoulda gone for the 150 but it seemed slightly over-large.

i do honestly and deeply thank for the link to the one for sale though! seriously

Return to “5U Format Modules”